The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 17, 2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Bones87

NeWbie amateur shooter here

Hello everyone.. I'm Justin but go by bones to most my friends.. From central KY I am a combat vet, amature hobbie shooter that enjoys pistols, carbines, and long range rifles. Def wanting to learn more about competitive shooting and eventualy compete. And very thirsty for knowledge
Old August 17, 2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Dre_sa

Well bones, you've certainly come to the right place!

Firstly, Thank you for your service.

There's a whole bunch of very knowledgeable people that contribute to these forums.

so start thinking of questions, do a search for your topic, and if you're not satisfied with the results from the search, field a question.

many folks here are very big advocates of the search function. some to the point of being a little coarse.

I'm not one of them, as I enjoy discussing everything, and hold the viewpoint that while the topic may have been discussed before, someone may have learned something new.

Otherwise, welcome aboard, and have some fun discussing the wonderful world of weapons!

Last edited by Dre_sa; August 17, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old August 17, 2010, 08:25 PM   #3
chris in va

Welcome to the board. I'm near Louisville and visit Knob Creek at least once a week. If you haven't already, come check out the Machine Gun shoot and gun show in early October. Pretty cool, lots of toys.
Old August 18, 2010, 12:15 AM   #4
RimfireChris

Welcome, and thanks for your service.
Old August 18, 2010, 12:19 AM   #5
SigP6Carry

well, bones, welcome to what I consider the greatest community for shooters. A bit of advice: loose the "gamer" slang. It generally doesn't fly here. I appreciate your service for our country, you mind if I ask what branch? Also, I love KY, such a beautiful state with a rich heritage and a fantastic culinary history, such a great American state. Welcome aboard, feel free to ask anything, man.
Old August 18, 2010, 06:58 AM   #6
Bones87

National Guard, did a tour in Afghanistan. Thank you guys for the welcome. I have never got the chance to make it to Knob Creek, but have always wanted. I'll try to make it a point to get down there this year!!
Old August 18, 2010, 04:41 PM   #7
357 Python

Welcome and thank you for your service. We all were new at one time or other. Ask any question you want. Don't be afraid if it sounds stupid or not. If you can think of it someone else has to, and by asking you may help the other person as well. Also there are many ways to learn. Asking questions and personal experience are just two ways. Sometimes the questions can be safer than the personal experience. Check out as many forums as you can. Many of us here are also on other forums.
Old August 18, 2010, 08:52 PM   #8
ClayInTx

Welcome Bones

Thanks for your military service.

Lots of information here, some of it’s even correct.
Old August 19, 2010, 02:14 AM   #9
Elvishead

Quote:
Def wanting to learn more about competitive shooting and eventualy compete.
Sounds like an expensive sport, the only advice I can give is to look into reloading, so practicing will be much cheaper, which you might have to do to become competitive, unless you have an unusual talent for shooting which I don't.

Glad you made it back OK. Thanks

Elvishead
Old August 19, 2010, 06:44 AM   #10
Bones87

thank you guys again. I've already learned a pretty fair amount just searching through the threads. Also i have thought about reloading just going to have to research a little further into that before i will fill comfortable with even thinking about attempting it. Though it is a very good idea because i'm sure i will be putting a heck of alot of rounds down range before i feel like i'm anywhere near ready to compete
Old August 19, 2010, 05:42 PM   #11
SigP6Carry

No harm on the slang, man, just want to get it out that I was razzing a little bit. You're whole heartedly welcome, man.