The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 2019, 01:33 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Nube,
If this happens again, be sure to separate the fired cases with hard bolt lift from the rest of the brass. Then you can measure them and see if there is anything significantly different about them (length, or case head expansion, or case neck thickness, etc) that would account for the hard bolt lift.

if you are seating the bullets so the round is at or below SAAMI listed max length, you won't be into the rifling.
Old August 31, 2019, 04:29 PM   #27
HiBC

Just to confuse the thread.... Temperature can have an effect on pressure.
Dwell time in a warm/hot chamber,maybe?

Just something to think about. Any difference in how the case head,primer,etc looks after the hard bolt lift?
Next time,sort the hard lift brass out. Make note of temp,dwell time in chamber,etc to ID "What was different?"

If you have a chronograph,shoot 20 rds or so through t,and compare velocity.

It might indeed be some length issue,but I'd not go tunnel vision
Old August 31, 2019, 09:22 PM   #28
cw308

Nube
It seems after asking you a few questions your post got hi jacked , sorry for that . It sounds you may have a tight chamber , not that bad . You may have to clean more often . Years back a shooting friend had a Remington M24 the chamber was so tight he had to give a quick pass with his cleaning rod and patch after 5 shots or the fouling caused a hard lift but it was a tack driver . You may have a chamber like that , does the hard lift happen after it has been fired a number of rounds.
Old September 1, 2019, 09:48 PM   #29
GeauxTide

Mixed Brass

Every manufacturer is a little different. I suspect that the bolt lift is caused by long cases. I NEVER mix cases in load development. The 22-250 is a tack driver with proper loads. My friend regularly dispatches Prairie Dogs at 300+, so his 100 yard groups are less than 1/2".
Old September 2, 2019, 08:28 AM   #30
Nube

I think that I have found the problem, I trimmed the cases to 1.912 and after further examination I found that some of the cases had “stretched” a little more than some of the others. I think that this was the problem with the heavy bolt lift. I have loaded some with the cases all being just a little shorter and they all worked fine. I do appreciate all of the replies, even the replies that are too involved for this new reloader! I think that I can always learn something from almost any discussion.
Old September 2, 2019, 09:18 AM   #31
jetinteriorguy

Do you trim before sizing? If so, size first then trim.
Old September 2, 2019, 01:06 PM   #32
cw308

Nube
On a 22-250 the maximum trim length is 1.912 to 1.892 so a good safe trim to keep your case length after sizing would be 1.902 . I shoot only one rifle a Rem 700 308 , I have my trimmer set at a certain measurement and after my cases are cleaned an sized , every case is trimmed on every firing , most of the time it's more of a cleanup then a trim . Just one thing I don't worry about cases getting too long . No short cuts in reloading . I wet tumble so I'll go through my way of prepping my fired cases .
First I pop the primers in a Universal decapper die , wet tumble , after the cases are dry I lube and size , wet tumble to remove any lube . Trim all my cases to a set measurement , chamfer inside and out on the case mouth and prim the case . To make seating the bullet smoother I have a smaller cleaning brush wrapped with 0000 steel wool locked in my drill press , a few up and down passes in the neck to polish not ot remove any brass , clean out any dust and when seating the bullet I dip the base of the bullet in Redding Imperial Dry Lube , comes in a little jar with beads that are coated with the dry lube . Makes seating as smooth as silk without decreasing neck tension . I only load 30 at a time for benchrest shooting , if your loading quantity it's a different story , maybe too time consuming but worth a try. Hope I Helped in some way

Chris
Old September 2, 2019, 02:27 PM   #33
zeke

Reloading manuals are always a good place to look for the max and trim to brass length. Rarely are trimmers accurate/consistent to .001, so maybe good idea to trim to the minimum/trim to length. Hornady manual lists 1.912 as max case lenght, and 1.902 as the case trim length.

Good to trim your cases after resizing, especially if using the expanding plug in sizing die.