The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2018, 08:15 PM   #1
Tawaliga

Beginner Question: 300 win COAL affecting powder min/max

So my .300 win has a seating depth of 3.592. I'm planning on working up a load for 200 gr Accubonds.

With the Nosler (and all other) loading manuals having min and max load recommendations based on 3.340 COAL, am I in danger if I use their existing ranges in this longer COAL?

Would their minimum loads based on a 3.340 now create pressure issues due to load density being to low a %?

I just got started hand loading a few weeks ago, so forgive me for any stupid questions
Old March 3, 2018, 08:25 PM   #2
sako2

start with the recommended c.o.l after you find the best powder charge then work with the seating depth
Old March 4, 2018, 07:20 AM   #3
locknloader

I would wait for the "pro's" to chime in, but i think since you are going longer and not shorter than recommended you should be ok. Shorter and you may be compressing the powder. I know seating depth plays a much bigger role in pistol cartridges compared to rifle. Some more experienced guys should be able to give you a more detailed answer though!
Old March 4, 2018, 12:00 PM   #4
Yosemite Steve

Quote:
So my .300 win has a seating depth of 3.592.
Your COL is 3.592". Why? How far is this off your lands or is it seated out to your lands?
Old March 4, 2018, 12:38 PM   #5
RC20

Quote:
I would wait for the "pro's" to chime in, but i think since you are going longer and not shorter than recommended you should be ok. Shorter and you may be compressing the powder. I know seating depth plays a much bigger role in pistol cartridges compared to rifle. Some more experienced guys should be able to give you a more detailed answer though!
Longer at higher charges can/will cause a pressure spike.

The best advice is stick with published COAL for now.

If you find a nice shooting charge, then just stick with it.

For hunting, all the depth changes don't make a difference and in field conditions could be an issue if long.

Longer term if you go to target shooting and want tiny groups, then you can work into the advanced area and work with close to the lands.

Most of mine do not like close to the lands, one likes it really far back.

And no, its not a stupid question. We get overwhelmed with info and techniques that we are not up to, don't apply but are out there, people swear by them.

Asking and finding out is prudent, not asking is where the hurt can begin.

Get the basics down, then you can work into the more advanced areas.