The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 31, 2009, 01:48 PM   #1
rinercl

Ever heard of a Stainless Remington Model 11?

We have a family gun that is a Remington Model 11. It was my Great-Great Grandfather's gun. At some point in the past, my Grandfather installed an adjustable choke on the end of the barrel and he has expressed regret recently for tarnishing what has now become a family heirloom. And so I have begun a search for a new barrel. The problem that I am running into is that the entire gun appears to be in stainless steel. I saw another post where a guy thought he had a Model 11 in stainless but someone said it was just nickel plated. Ours definitely has a lot darker and deeper stainless look than that poster's did (see below).

See post #27 here: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...=282998&page=2

Any thoughts? I will post pictures when I get a chance.

The gun shows what I thought was "Remington Model II" but may in fact be "Remington Model 11" unless someone has heard of the former.

The serial number is in the 300,000 range.

Thanks!
Old December 31, 2009, 02:17 PM   #2
rbernie

They were not made in stainless steel. You probably have one that has lost its finish over the years (from usage and polishing) and is effectively patina.
Old December 31, 2009, 08:16 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The Remington Model 11 was discontinued in 1948.
The first stainless steel firearms didn't start to appear until the mid 1960's.

Your Model 11 is either a plated finish, or its just bare steel.
One sure way to find out is to use a solvent like Acetone to clean off a spot then apply a drop of cold blue with a Q-tip. If it colors, its bare steel and will rust like crazy unless you keep a lube on it.
Old December 31, 2009, 08:18 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

The Remington Model 11 was discontinued in 1948.
The first stainless steel firearms didn't start to appear until the mid 1960's, with the S&W Model 60 revolver being the worlds first stainless gun.

Your Model 11 is either a plated finish, or its just bare steel.
One sure way to find out is to use a solvent like Acetone to clean off a spot then apply a drop of cold blue with a Q-tip. If it colors, its bare steel and will rust like crazy unless you keep a lube on it.

Tags
blueing , model 11 , remington , shotgun , stainless