The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 2009, 02:04 AM   #1
calcalihockey23

Viper Tristar Semi Auto

Hi joined this forum for one reason and it is to get the people of this forums feed back on the Viper Tristar Semi Auto 12 Gauge. i am looking for and inexpensive easy to use shotgun. i am a new hunter but have shot before. i do already have a shotgun Winchester Model 12. BUt it cant shoot steel and the alternatives are to spendy. If you could help me with this.

Or if there are any other nice semi autos for a reasonable price do tell
Old December 22, 2009, 10:53 PM   #2
AZwarts

I haven't heard much in review about these guns. They are new to the market and not much testing has been done. I good recommend lookk for a nice used semi-auto like remington 1100 or beretta. You can find a nice used one starting at 500 and up
Old December 27, 2009, 08:03 PM   #3
tristar viper

I have this shotgun, and I absolutely love it. It has been reliable, it is light and very flickable when aiming quickly, and it is spot on in accuracy. I bought it because I was so wondering what the gun was like. Noone knew because just like someone said, there aren't a lot of them around. I can honestly say that now that I have it, none of my friends have guns that I like to shoot any better. They have Rem 1100's, 1187's, Stoeger 2000's, Mossberg pumps, and one has a Browning Gold. I would take my gun over all of those for the pure shooting enjoyment i get from it. The only gun any of them has that I'd say I like just as well is an O/U Charles Daly that one of them has.
I highly recommend this gun. I bought mine at Dunham's Sports for $399.

Last edited by tristar viper; December 29, 2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old December 27, 2009, 08:06 PM   #4
tristar viper

Weatherby imports a couple real nice low cost shotguns, a semi auto SA-08 model, and a pump PA-08 model. Both under $500 and very good guns.
My friends Stoeger 2000 is really nice too, it's a $450 gun and works nicely.

Last edited by tristar viper; December 29, 2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old December 27, 2009, 10:09 PM   #5
calcalihockey23

thanks for the help i still need some more feedback
thank you
Old December 27, 2009, 10:21 PM   #6
tristar viper

Well you'll be lucky to get any more on that gun. I don't know one person other than myself that has it. I saw one very favorable magazine review but that has been it.
Old December 27, 2009, 10:54 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Weatherby makes
Lemme fix that for ya'...
Quote:
Weatherby imports...
There ya go... Carry on...
Brent
Old December 27, 2009, 11:03 PM   #8
tristar viper

Just cause they're imported doesn't mean they're a bad gun.
I had a bunch of guys who knew NOTHING about tristar shotguns tell me to stay away from it because it's imported. They knew nothing about it other than that, and they had this ridiculous pre-conceived notion that it was no good because of it. Well, I'm happy to say I didn't listen to them. I have friends who have way more problems with their 870 or their 11-87 than I've had with my Turkish Tristar.
Old December 27, 2009, 11:07 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I never said there was anything wrong with imported... just using the term "made" when it is actually a contracted import deal... Just like the SA in Mossberg *International* line are imported.
Brent
Old December 28, 2009, 01:10 PM   #10
OlympicArmsFan

I had not heard about this shotgun until I was on another board. I went and looked them up and also went on to youtube to find some reviews and videos.

Here is a link to the site that is talking about it

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=44242

Also just go to youtube and look around you will find some good videos. The thing looks nice.
Old December 29, 2009, 09:07 AM   #11
tristar viper

No offense hogdogs, I thought maybe you were one of those who don't like imported guns. Some guys don't. I get a little bit of guff from some of my friends about my Tristar, but they all admit it shoots as well as anything else. Time will tell how reliable it is though. So far (8 months and 1500 rounds) so good though.