The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 10, 2024, 09:59 AM   #1
Reef

Long Term Gun Storage

I have an "extra" new in the box Marlin 1895 SBL that I am not ready to part with just yet. Any ideas out there on best long term storage techniques? My safe has a dehumidifier rod but I live in a high humidity climate. Should I give the metal surfaces a good coat of oil and put the rifle back in its original packaging including the plastic bag and store in my safe? Or, are there other methods to ensure the gun remains in "new condition"?
Old February 10, 2024, 12:08 PM   #2
natman

Give it a good coat, inside and out of Breakfree COLLECTOR oil. This is not the same as regualar Breakfree. It forms a slightly waxy coat and is designed for long term storage.

Then instead of a regular plastic bag, use a Poly gun bag. These bags are infused with VCI and will deter rust in areas you couldn't cover with the oil.

I have some guns that have been stored for 15 years using this combo and no rust yet.
Old February 10, 2024, 02:26 PM   #3
Dave P

FYI: I have found that even nice/treated gun socks will allow rust. And this is in a dehumidified safe.
And beware of foam padding in bottom of safe - holds lots of moisture, throw it away.

PS Free gun socks are available !!
Old February 10, 2024, 05:56 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Wax

a solid coating completely sealing the gun inside will protect it almost indefinitely.

I know of one case where a Civil War revolver was found in the 1970s, encased in a solid block of paraffin wax. The gun had been stored in a trunk (along with other items) that spent over a century in an attic in a building in upstate New York. Summer heat & moisture, winter cold over a century + did not affect the gun, it was quite well protected. Clothing in the trunk had suffered, but the papers and the block of wax did not. When the wax was melted a brand new condition 1860 Colt revolver was revealed, in perfect condition.

using something like that method will preserve the gun. However the gun isn't instantly usable while stored like that.
Old February 10, 2024, 08:34 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

The modern storage method used by the military and industry is the VCI Vapor barrier technology. This is more effective than any other method because the vapor completely surrounds the gun and doesn't require getting a lube or grease into every tiny area.

VCI is a material that forces out air and moisture and replaces it with a vapor barrier that prevents any rust.
You don't have to slather the gun with greases or Cosmoline, and all that's needed to put it back in service is to wipe out the bore and lubricate it.

There are special "hard" plastic bags made with the VCI material inside.
All you have to do is wipe finger prints off and seal the bag.
You're rust free for anything from 10 to 20 years.

A popular brand is Z-Rust. You can buy VCI treated bags on Amazon or direct from Z-Rust.........

https://www.zerustproducts.com/produ...st-protection/
Old February 11, 2024, 02:23 PM   #6
Reef

Great information, thank you!
Old February 11, 2024, 06:56 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

Proper lubrication, and get it inside a VCI bag.
Old February 14, 2024, 11:32 AM   #8
Skans

I use Johnson's paste wax on guns that sit in my safe for long periods of time. the stuff works well.

The reason I opt for wax over oil is that oil eventually goes bad and is also messy. The wax just stays on the gun, protecting it from humidity/moisture for a long long time. Also, Johnson's is cheap but works well enough - there is a Museum Wax that some people like to use.