The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 26, 2024, 02:29 PM   #1
charleslee

New Pythons

FYI: Colt has come out w/ blued ones! Already at distributors & shops. Look good.
Old January 26, 2024, 04:33 PM   #2
wild cat mccane

Thanks for the post.

I'm the lone person of the opinion that stainless is just better in every way if you shoot a revolver. I can't even find beauty in them because of how fragile the coating is in use.
Old January 26, 2024, 05:32 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Nope, not the lone person. There are at least two of us.
Old January 26, 2024, 06:01 PM   #4
Armybrat

Am a stainless convert in recent decades, but ain’t dumping the blued guns I do have.

(Caveat: I can’t afford a Python anyway, blued or stainless)
Old January 26, 2024, 06:15 PM   #5
44caliberkid

I will give them a look. But I understand your feelings about the fragility of the finish. I dinged the royal blue on my new Python back in 1976. I did it to another S&W revolver later on. Also the bad feeling of pulling a blued gun out of storage and finding surface rust on it. But I still love blued steel and fine walnut.
Old January 26, 2024, 10:10 PM   #6
rclark

Quote:
I'm the lone person of the opinion that stainless is just better in every way if you shoot a revolver.
Only advantage I can see is you might be able to use it as a reflector (if sunny) to get a search plane's attention when your lost. Other than that.... Dings, wear just add character to a revolver over time. Use but don't abuse. Blued will last a lifetime just like an unfinished, err I mean, stainless revolver will.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 27, 2024, 08:26 AM   #7
CajunBass

I'm surprise I'm not all excited about a blue Python. When the "new" SS ones came out that's the one thing I wanted. A blue one. Now, three? Four years later, with two of the SS ones in the safe, I find I'm not all that excited about the idea of spending the money to get another one, just in blue. Not worried about the blue, the only place it would get fired (if it did) would be at the range. The rest of the time it would be in the safe, wrapped in a gun sock.

Don't get me wrong. I really LIKE the SS ones, I guess I've just got what I wanted, A Python, so that itch is scratched.

I might see about getting one down the road somewhere, but no rush.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 27, 2024, 10:56 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've never been excited by the Python. I just can't get around a ventilated rib on a revolver.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 27, 2024, 01:12 PM   #9
CajunBass

The Python is the only one I like it on. My LGS has a Ruger Single-Six, 45 acp/45 Colt that I wouldn't mind having, but someone has put a vent rib on it and it just looks "weird."
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 29, 2024, 11:53 AM   #10
Skans

MSRP $1,600. I wonder what a slightly used one will eventually sell for. I have a '57 Python and a '60 Python that are safe queens. Would like to get a used blued for under $1K so I could shoot it.
Old January 29, 2024, 12:34 PM   #11
wild cat mccane

haha, that's funny how we're all different.

I think stepped vented ribs are the only reason the python looks good. Wish S&W would do it. The PC models I think are weight saving...but looks...eee.

Stepped ribs on a shotgun just look so much better in my book. So much more visually pleasing.

If S&W ever felt the Python were taking any market share, do a good stepped vent rib. Done.
Old February 9, 2024, 06:15 PM   #12
thump_rrr

I have a 77 6" Python in royal blue which is rarely shot because it doesn't have a turn ring on the cylinder. It's my only gun that is a safe queen.
I put 6-12 rounds through it and put it away till the next time I get the urge.
All the rest of my revolvers are stainless and get shot quite a bit more.
Besides I prefer shooting 44, 460, and 45-70.
Old February 9, 2024, 06:26 PM   #13
stuckinthe60s

the rib does what its suppose to do. besides looks dont matter. the only thing youre looking at is the front sight anyway.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old February 9, 2024, 09:22 PM   #14
wild cat mccane

Hey now!

Looks are part of it. If S&W put out a Charter Arms look a like but with a triple lock, I'd bag on that too
Old February 10, 2024, 08:58 AM   #15
Nathan

I love it. I will own one some day. I struggle with the triggers. Frankly, I struggle with Co.t triggers since I’m a long time S&W user.
Old February 12, 2024, 12:51 PM   #16
Webleymkv

I'm glad to see Colt bring out a blued Python as, while I'm sure the stainless ones are very nice guns, a big part of the appeal of the Python has always been Colt's beautiful Royal Blue. That being said, I'd like to see one of the new blue Pythons in person to see how it compares in both quality and color to the old bluing. I've noticed that the color of the bluing on newer S&W's is different than the older ones in that it's more black in color. I've read that this is because S&W can no longer use the same bluing chemicals that they did on their vintage ones and I'm curious if the same condition might apply to Colt.
Old February 12, 2024, 03:58 PM   #17
Dfariswheel

Around 1969 Colt changed bluing formula and after that Colt's had a more gloss Black color.

Compare a later Colt like a Mark III to an old original Trooper or 3-5-7 made in the mid-60's and you can see the difference in color.
Old February 12, 2024, 04:07 PM   #18
Webleymkv

Quote:
Originally posted by [BDfariswheel ][/B]
Around 1969 Colt changed bluing formula and after that Colt's had a more gloss Black color.

Compare a later Colt like a Mark III to an old original Trooper or 3-5-7 made in the mid-60's and you can see the difference in color.
It's interesting that Colt changed their formula so long ago (my 1970's vintage S&W's have the same color bluing as my 1950's example). I was not aware of the change as my experience with Colt revolvers is limited to my 1950's vintage Cobra and my 1920's vintage Pocket Positive both of which would have predated the change. If the bluing on the new Pythons is comparable to that of the 1970's and 1980's models I've seen, then it should still be very attractive.
Old February 13, 2024, 10:02 AM   #19
44caliberkid

I looked at and handled a blued New Python at the Colt booth, Great American Outdoor Show. I owned a 1970’s Python for many years. The new Python was pretty, the blue was glossy. It seemed more transparent than the old Python. The old one looked shiny black, the new one it seems like you’re looking through the blue at the polished steel. And the new one looks more blue/black than just black. Doing my best to describe something that is very subtle. Of course it was also covered with finger prints and stuff from all the people handling it. If I could get one for around $1399, same as the stainless, I would consider it.
Old February 13, 2024, 03:40 PM   #20
Hanshi

I have 3 ss revolvers and love them but no more so than my few blued ones.
Old February 13, 2024, 04:50 PM   #21
Drm50

Back in the day I went the whole route with Pythons & Diamondbacks. They were nice revolvers but for shooting purposes, which is what I bought them for, the S&W m27 beat out the Python. The Diamondback in 38 was tie with S&W m15 and maybe a little edge for S&W for durability. In 22 the S&W K frames were superior to Diamondback. On the other hand Diamondback better than J frame S&Ws.
Almost any knowledgeable gunsmith will tell you running gears of S&W are superior to Colts. I’ve owned most of Colts match grade revolvers and kept with S&W. There is no doubt the old Pythons and Diamond backs were beautiful revolvers. The new ones don’t hold a candle to them. I’m strictly a blues man. When I get stainless or nickel on trades I off them quick as possible to the first passing piano player.
Old February 13, 2024, 08:11 PM   #22
603Country

I have one nickel 4” Python, bought in the 80’s and one nickel 4” Diamondback, also bought in the 80’s. Neither get shot much these days, but the Python was shot a bunch over the decades. And, it’s up valued so much that I worried I’d damage it, so I bought a S&W 686 for the grandkids and visitors to shoot. Honestly, the 686 seems rather crude compared to the Python, and the single action trigger pull wasn’t great. A trip to a good gunsmith and the 686 now has a great trigger pull. Bottom line, the Python is prettier, but they shoot equally well now. Better sights on the 686, and I like the grip better. If I had to sell one, it would be the 686.