The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 23, 2024, 09:53 PM   #1
44caliberkid

Taurus Trying Single Actions Again

https://www.taurususa.com/index.php?...category&id=67

I noticed on the Taurus website they are doing a single action Colt style revolver again, The Deputy, in 45 Colt and 357 Magnum. I never liked their first try, no case hardening, all black that looked like gloss black spray paint. I suppose this one is just a rebranded Heritage center fire.
Old January 23, 2024, 10:07 PM   #2
rclark

Looks much much better than cerokote though .

Also noticed it uses a transfer bar and not a hammer mounted firing pin. Not quite 'traditional' in my view. The grip frame fit doesn't look that good in a couple of those side shots either.... Not trying being to be picky of course . However it'll appeal to some, just as the 'Wrangler' has a following.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 25, 2024, 01:44 AM   #3
TruthTellers

I hope they're successful and it caises Taurus to make a cheap single action .410/.45.
Old January 25, 2024, 10:51 AM   #4
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
I hope they're successful and it caises Taurus to make a cheap single action .410/.45.
Interesting enough on the web page the 4 3/4in barrel version is listed as .45 but the 5 1/2in is listed as .45/.410 in the drop down caliber box in the selection choices.
Old January 25, 2024, 12:02 PM   #5
Forte S+W

So they're bringing back the old Taurus Gaucho, huh? Cool.

I for one like the transfer bar safety as it eliminates the need for the old doctrine of "load one, skip one".
Old January 25, 2024, 06:37 PM   #6
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballardw View Post
Interesting enough on the web page the 4 3/4in barrel version is listed as .45 but the 5 1/2in is listed as .45/.410 in the drop down caliber box in the selection choices.
Probably someone on the web design team copied code for the Judge's page to reuse on the new single action. If they do have plans to do a .410 single action, then I want a dual cylinder with one being dedicated for .45 Colt, the other for .410 and .45 Colt. The reason being I don't want .457" throats when I'm shooting lead bullets that lead the bore like mad.

That's really the only way the .410/.45 revolvers can be improved for better accuracy and higher velocities.
Old January 26, 2024, 12:49 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

These clearly are Heritage "big boy"s aren't they?
Old January 28, 2024, 07:26 AM   #8
CajunBass

Didn't Beretta make the first ones? Seems I remember that.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 28, 2024, 12:01 PM   #9
jackmoser65

The Gaucho was blued. I've seen some terrible bluing jobs but none that looked like black spray paint. Maybe you're confused with the Heritage rimfire guns?

Why would a manufacturer like Taurus need to contract the manufacture of one of their products? They wouldn't, they would make them, otherwise not bother. These are clearly not a rebranded Heritage/Pietta.

Pietta makes the centerfires for Heritage.

Beretta never made a single action, for Taurus or anyone else. Uberti made the Stampede for Beretta.
Old January 28, 2024, 02:02 PM   #10
Sarge

The barrel billboard on the new Deputy is a little less obnoxious than the Gaucho was.
Old February 2, 2024, 09:32 PM   #11
The Happy kaboomer

Nope. Heritage made that same exact revolver in 2005. Taurus owns Heritage.........Bet you a donut. taurus is using the old Heritage design or Heritage is making it for them. Either way none will reside here.
Old February 4, 2024, 11:02 AM   #12
Ifishsum

I own a Gaucho with color case hardening. And very nice glossy bluing!
Old February 6, 2024, 07:13 PM   #13
44caliberkid

I handled a couple of them today, at the Taurus booth, Great American Outdoor Show. Cocking the hammer was smooth but heavy for what I’m accustomed to, Colts and Uberti’s. Trigger let off was OK. Still not a fan of SAA’s with blued frames. The Taurus guy told me case hardened is coming. The blue was shiny and deep. He also told me potential customers have had positive comments. He told me parts are made in Brazil and assembled in the US. Also told me that the Heritage center fires were Pietta’s. He also said positive things about the old Goucho, said people still call looking for them, which I find hard to believe.
Old February 6, 2024, 07:45 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid
He also said positive things about the old Goucho, said people still call looking for them, which I find hard to believe.
That statement puts the "in" in incredible.
Jeepaholic