The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 9, 2024, 02:35 AM   #126
radom

Meanwhile .357 works just fine in my J frame model 60.
Old February 9, 2024, 12:24 PM   #127
wild cat mccane

So far I believe I am the only person to answer the question of the OP that no current K frame S&W appear to have re-suffered old style K frames.

I then followed up with, "but why are you loading it, no bullet currently requires that velocity for these reasons, including directly from the largest manufacturer of ammunition that owns nearly all US produced ammo"

Last edited by wild cat mccane; February 9, 2024 at 12:29 PM.
Old February 9, 2024, 12:26 PM   #128
wild cat mccane

74A95, you've continued to move the goal line on why response to "why?" would some load it that hot.

Again, no 357mag in 4" is every getting close to your minimum set 2,000FPS. None. Even uber hot 1,600fps ultra light 357 is 20% away from your defined minimum.

The purpose of bringing this up is to help the OP understand that you might wear out or out of time your revolver faster, but the end purpose isn't all that worth it in the end unless that's the goal or you just want to shoot those.
Old February 9, 2024, 12:39 PM   #129
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
I then followed up with, "but why are you loading it, no bullet currently requires that velocity for these reasons."
A person needs no other reason than "because I want to".

You are delusional to think that only your reasons and criteria matter.
Old February 9, 2024, 12:47 PM   #130
74A95

Quote:
Again, no 357mag in 4" is every getting close to your minimum set 2,000FPS. None. Even uber hot 1,600fps ultra light 357 is 20% away from your defined minimum.
And this is an example of your crazy idea of what you think is the only thing that matters when loading 357 Magnum. This crazy criteria of requiring the 357 to reach a speed that produces rifle-like hydrostatic shock or it's not worth loading to nominal 357 ballistics is completely irrelevant. What's wrong with you that you don't see that? Do you think there is no other purpose for the 357?

By all means, contact all the ammo makers who load the 357 and tell them to stop loading it so fast because it does not meet your criteria. That's what you're saying. If handloaders shouldn't do it, then either should factories.

Last edited by 74A95; February 9, 2024 at 12:52 PM.
Old February 9, 2024, 01:02 PM   #131
wild cat mccane

I listed all reason velocity is required in a bullet. I'll do it again.

Velocity affects expansion, trajectory, time in flight, accuracy, and hydrostatic shock.

Not a single one of those is important in a 4" revolver given on shelf ammunition velocities.

You can keep name calling, but you've only do that and not proven me wrong.
Old February 9, 2024, 02:22 PM   #132
Pumpkin

Quote:
So far I believe I am the only person to answer the question of the OP that no current K frame S&W appear to have re-suffered old style K frames.

I then followed up with, "but why are you loading it, no bullet currently requires that velocity for these reasons, including directly from the largest manufacturer of ammunition that owns nearly all US produced ammo"
The OP’s 65-6 has the old style barrel and forcing cone with the flat bottom. Not sure if this had been mentioned. I have a bought new 66-1 that has never had a 125 down it’s bore. The value of these guns would never allow me to come close to abusing it, plus I really like the old gun.
Old February 9, 2024, 10:19 PM   #133
74A95

Quote:
You can keep name calling, but you've only do that and not proven me wrong.
You really don't get it. Oh well.
Old February 9, 2024, 10:38 PM   #134
Frank Ettin
Staff

Enough
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread