The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 11, 2019, 06:32 AM   #1
John0011

Thinking about reloading 10mm

Thiking about reloading another caliber, the 10mm.

I have been reloading 40 S&W for about four years now, and I tend to see how fast I can get a bullet going over the chronograph. So why not get a 10mm.

The powders that I have been using will work in a 10mm: CFE, Autocomp, Longshot, 3N37, and 3N38.

Probably pickup another die set and holder as the 10mm is taller.

I almost bought a 10mm pistol years ago instead of the 40, and wonted to own one ever since.

The pistol that I am thinking about picking up is the EAA Witness P Match Pro Semi Automatic Pistol 10mm Auto 4.75" Barrel 14 Rounds Polymer Competition Frame DA/SA Trigger Fully Adjustable Super Sight Black Finish.

Anyone have one of these, or can make a suggestion on a good 10mm pistol?

Thanks for any input.
Old November 11, 2019, 06:33 AM   #2
dallasb

Quote:
Originally Posted by John0011 View Post
Thiking about reloading another caliber, the 10mm.

I have been reloading 40 S&W for about four years now, and I tend to see how fast I can get a bullet going over the chronograph. So why not get a 10mm.

The powders that I have been using will work in a 10mm: CFE, Autocomp, Longshot, 3N37, and 3N38.

Probably pickup another die set and holder as the 10mm is taller.

I almost bought a 10mm pistol years ago instead of the 40, and wonted to own one ever since.

The pistol that I am thinking about picking up is the EAA Witness P Match Pro Semi Automatic Pistol 10mm Auto 4.75" Barrel 14 Rounds Polymer Competition Frame DA/SA Trigger Fully Adjustable Super Sight Black Finish.

Anyone have one of these, or can make a suggestion on a good 10mm pistol?

Thanks for any input.
Most dies will do both 40 and 10mm. I would suggest something that has full case support as the 10mm is pretty hot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old November 11, 2019, 09:36 AM   #3
AgedWarrior

Yeah, the 10mm is faster than the .40 for sure. There really is nothing more challenging about loading 10mm than there is with .40. You can use the same dies typically. My RCBS dies are labeled .40/10mm as they are usable for either by simply adjusting for the length. I have a second flaring die adjusted for 10mm to minimize adjustments between cartridges, but that is for convenience, not necessity. Your powders will work, yes, but you might find better performance with heavier bullets from Blue Dot and AAC #9. Longshot performs well there too. Stick with published recipes, and you will be just fine. You will notice that some published data is barely over .40 S&W performance while others are much hotter. Be careful mixing components when using hotter data, as you could generate more pressure than you expect and is safe.

My 10mm pistol is a RIA full size 1911. The 5” barrel gives reasonably good performance from the 10mm cartridge. The gun does not have exquisite fit and finish, but the slide is smooth and tight, and lock up is solid. Shoots great. Price was great! My biggest dislike is the roughness of the ambi safety tends to rub my hands a bit; planning to fix that soon. As has been already stated, a gun with fully supported chamber is best. There are more 10mm pistols out there as interest seems to be slowly gaining...I would check out a few if you are able.
Old November 11, 2019, 10:14 AM   #4
Ben Dover

Longshot, AAC#9. 800X

In my testing of both the 10MM and .40, the 165 grain bullets seem to give the best balance of weight/velocity,.

unless you're usding your 10 for big game hunting, I see no need for a heavier bullet.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old November 11, 2019, 01:01 PM   #5
John0011

165 grain is what I was primarily loading.
I need to do a little pistol shopping, no big hurry.
Been thinking about picking one up for years
Old November 11, 2019, 02:27 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"I want one!" is the best reason to buy anything. Don't think I'd opt for an EAA anything though.
"...to see how fast I can get a bullet..." Accuracy is far more important.
The 10 drives a 155 grain bullet(no 165 on Hodgdon's site) 2-300 FPS faster than the 40 drives a 165. That still does not beat loading for accuracy.
Old November 11, 2019, 05:53 PM   #7
Ben Dover

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"I want one!" is the best reason to buy anything. Don't think I'd opt for an EAA anything though.
"...to see how fast I can get a bullet..." Accuracy is far more important.
The 10 drives a 155 grain bullet(no 165 on Hodgdon's site) 2-300 FPS faster than the 40 drives a 165. That still does not beat loading for accuracy.
That depends on what you're using the ammo for.

For SD/HD ammo, I will gladly give up a small amount of accurcy for increased velocity.

Pinpoint precision is not needed for 7-10 yard defensive shooting.

Old November 12, 2019, 12:49 PM   #8
AgedWarrior

Best accuracy is seldom at max velocity; at least that is what I have found over the years I have been reloading. In a rifle I always pursue accuracy as first priority, but have found that is typically attainable in the upper 5% of velocity capabilities. In handguns, I have found the same principle to be true. I have never felt underpowered by being 50 fps under max handgun loads; not in the least.
Old November 12, 2019, 04:06 PM   #9
marchboom

I just got a 10mm to use as an anti-bear weapon yet still have a lot of rounds for 2 legged predators. I narrowed it down to a Springfield Armory XDM and a Rock Island Armory Ultra FS HC. Went with the Rock Island. 16 rnds in the mag and a fully supported chamber. Price was great. Lots of custom features.

I will be shooting 200 gr hard cast bullets and, after trying to determine what powder to use, decided on Power Pistol to start.

Now all I need is a good shooting glove that has padding in the PROPER areas to cushion my hand against the recoil. Shooting a few rounds is no problem but firing 80 rounds at one sitting will get your attention.

Good luck with your search.
RSO
Old November 12, 2019, 10:38 PM   #10
AgedWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchboom View Post
I just got a 10mm to use as an anti-bear weapon yet still have a lot of rounds for 2 legged predators. I narrowed it down to a Springfield Armory XDM and a Rock Island Armory Ultra FS HC. Went with the Rock Island. 16 rnds in the mag and a fully supported chamber. Price was great. Lots of custom features.

I will be shooting 200 gr hard cast bullets and, after trying to determine what powder to use, decided on Power Pistol to start.

Now all I need is a good shooting glove that has padding in the PROPER areas to cushion my hand against the recoil. Shooting a few rounds is no problem but firing 80 rounds at one sitting will get your attention.

Good luck with your search.
I get very good performance using AAC#9 with 200 grain cast lead bullets in my RIA Ultra FS.
Old November 13, 2019, 02:58 PM   #11
Ben Dover

AAC #9 and the Speer Gold Dot 165 grain makes an excellent SD/.HD load.

Old November 13, 2019, 07:18 PM   #12
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by john0011
165 grain is what I was primarily loading.
I need to do a little pistol shopping, no big hurry.
Been thinking about picking one up for years
After much research and watching a ton of vids, I settled on the Kimber Target II LS . Very happy with my choice. The Kimber's 6" bbl is a VERY accurate shooter resulting from the 6" bbl's long sight radius. Here's some feedback :

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...highlight=10mm
Old November 14, 2019, 06:37 AM   #13
John0011

I took a look at the,,,,
Quote:
Springfield Armory XDM and a Rock Island Armory Ultra FS HC
I think that the extra weight of the Rock Island Armory Ultra FS HC over the Springfield Armory XDM would be beneficial. Plus a 16 round magazine, holy cow.

Quote:
Kimber Target II LS
The review was great, and the pistol looks great.

My sig P229 in 40S&W weighs 2.125 lbs.

Springfield Armory XDM weighs 2.05 lbs.
Rock Island Armory Ultra FS HC weighs 2.9 lbs.
Kimber Target II LS weighs 2.6 lbs.

I think that a pistol heavier then my 40 sig is a must for a hotter round.
Old November 14, 2019, 11:16 AM   #14
Ruger45LC

I've had my share of 10mm's and I agree it's cool to see how fast you can drive certain bullets. From what I've seen, to be honest the 10mm isn't worth it over the .40 S&W. Overall when I compare brass costs (usually very cheap for .40 vs. not so much with 10mm) and performance, I personally cannot justify 10mm.

Here's what I mean, say I want to shoot something spicy. I can have a G20 run a 180gr to 1350 fps or a G22 run the same 180gr to 1250 fps. Yes the 10mm is more powerful, but ask yourself, if it's for woods or hunting use, what is that 100 fps going to give you? Nothing is the correct answer, especially considering that even at 1250 fps, most all 180gr JHP bullets maxed out, if not beyond maxed out, based on design.

Powders that do well in 10mm also do well in the .40, such as 800x, Longshot, Power Pistol, 3N38 and a few others. What I've found is that with similar barrel lengths, the 10mm has up to about 100-125fps increase in speed, but that increase means nothing if the bullets aren't up to task and even if they were, that's such a small difference that nothing alive would know the difference between the two. I realize that not a popular viewpoint, but it's realistic and I've said many times, you can kill anything with .40 or .45 that you can with a 10mm.
Old November 14, 2019, 05:28 PM   #15
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger45LC
Powders that do well in 10mm also do well in the .40, such as 800x, Longshot, Power Pistol, 3N38 and a few others.
Longshot, I agree with you.
800X is a LOUSY and dangerous powder to load for 10mm. Meters horrible, and I observed some really high ES's (65+ FPS) when load testing 800X . Very poor shot groups with fliers .

My go-to powder for full house loads is AA9. AA9 is a ball powder so it meters like a dream, very low ES's and excellent shot group consistiency.
Old November 16, 2019, 07:39 PM   #16
straight-shooter

AA9 here also. 12.9gr under a 180gr RNFP FMJ. SD of 9.16 out of a DW Bruin 1911.
Old November 17, 2019, 10:11 AM   #17
Wendyj

We load for my husbands Glock. AA9 and Unique. I use the lower powered Unique loads and he’s full throttle on either. AA9 is go to. We do justify the 10 mm over the 40. 180 grain jacketed and 200 grain hard cast.
Old November 17, 2019, 09:13 PM   #18
sparkyv

I really enjoy 40SW, but 10mm is really fun! And accurate with Blue Dot. I shoot 165s all the way to 200 grainers with great satisfaction. I can get it hot with Longshot, but I lose accuracy. For the range I shoot 195gr coated hardcast...jalapeno poppers, as it were.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _IMG_000000_000000.jpg (36.4 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by sparkyv; November 17, 2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old November 22, 2019, 06:00 AM   #19
Mike / Tx

I've been shooting 10mm since the late 80s. I've for the most part used them for hunting feral hogs. That said I've loaded bullet weights from 135 up thru 220gr cast. Starliner brass is about the best there is hands down. I have recently pick up a few boxes of Seller & Bellot 180gr to break in a new Glock 40. Have to say while not the top end load I usually run it did very respectable.

My personal preference on powders came early on with the AA line. They always delivered top velocities for the bullets I was shooting and accuracy has never been an issue. I settled on the 180gr weight being able to get 1300fps pretty easily from the longer barrels I have. Results on deer or hogs has for the most part been a bang flop result with the Speer Gold Dot.

Depending on your intended use or preferences you can load light end target or top end blasters. Brass is a bit more than with the 40 but to me it is akin to the 38/357 deal. Both are readily available, it's up to the individual to determine whether or not they want to go big or not.

Regardless of what you end up going with, stick to book listed loads and you will find the 10mm will deliver years of satisfaction.
Old November 23, 2019, 11:34 PM   #20
Mr.RevolverGuy

John0011

Do not over look the revolvers yes I had to say it. My 10MM loading depot has a number of 10MM pistols included with loads into gel and across the chronograph http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=6173