The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 14, 2024, 08:05 PM   #26
1972RedNeck

Quote:
I don't know for sure what they do today, but in the past, when S&W offered magnum and non magnum chamberings in the same frame size guns, they said they used a different heat treating on the magnum cylinders.

The super heavy bullets are something that has been pushed by certain folks in recent decades, I don't have a need or a use for them.

Shoot what you feel is right, if it works, fine. If it causes problem, re-evaluate your priorities.
I started low and worked my way up to Linebaugh type loads. The brass literally falls out of the cylinder so I'm not overly worried about it for the limited number of hot loads it will shoot.

I have had a lot of experience with elk. I don't hunt, but my farm is over run by them in the wintertime so I literally get kill tags by the ten pack from the fish and game. In my experience, the heavier the bullet, the faster they go down (outside of the one I shot with a factory load 158 GR 357 mag from my 5" revolver at 200 yards that I wasn't actually trying to hit - it dropped dead instantly and didn't even twitch).

As such, If I were to run into an angry bear, I want a big heavy bullet, and I want it traveling as fast as the gun can push it. Yes, I have a 454 and 460, but I wanted something lighter, and still .452. After some research, I decided the 6.5" M25 fit the bill, and it doesn't disappoint.
Old March 14, 2024, 09:20 PM   #27
orionengnr

I have an M-25 Mountain Gun. I bought The Plug for this revolver and also for my 637.
Works fine.
Old April 19, 2024, 09:42 PM   #28
orionengnr

and as far as:

"No. All the scandium line 357mags are lockless minus the R8."

I beg to differ. I have owned two M340s and one M360; all were Scandium .357 Mag J-frames with The Lock.
Old April 22, 2024, 02:21 AM   #29
radom

Why bother as they work fine as is?