The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 25, 2024, 09:12 PM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Pietta 9mm Cowboy six shooter

I don't know if this is new or not. I just received an e-mail as part of a bunch of messages about the SHOT Show, leading me to believe that these six shooters chambered in 9mm may be new. Looks nice:

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc...s-600p3346.htm
Jeepaholic
Old January 25, 2024, 10:14 PM   #2
rc

I'd rather have the 357 mag with adjustable sights and an extra 9mm cylinder. I don't see the point in a dedicated 9mm single action.
Old January 26, 2024, 11:11 AM   #3
44caliberkid

They have been out for a little over 1 year.
Old January 26, 2024, 12:11 PM   #4
Pumpkin

Shoots cheap to fairly powerful ammo and doesn’t need a moon clip or fancy extraction mechanism. While not my first choice, I think it has something to offer for people who like to shoot and don’t reload.
Old January 27, 2024, 03:00 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
While not my first choice, I think it has something to offer for people who like to shoot and don’t reload.
I don't. The only thing I can see that it has to offer is to a reloader, because you don't have to hunt for your empties in the weeds.

Now, I can see the point of getting an SA revolver in a caliber you already shoot and reload for, I did. I got a Ruger Blackhawk .45 convertible, so I could plink with .45ACP that I already had, and not have to hunt for my brass.

At the time, I had no experience with the .45 Colt round but I bought a box so I'd have some and to try it out. I made one "small mistake", the first rounds I shot from that Ruger were .45 Colt and it was an eye opening experience, and after that .45acp from that gun just seemed weak. In the 40 years since, that Blackhawk has seen several thousand .45Colt rounds but only about 300 .45acps.

But the Pietta is different. Colt pattern SA firing 9mm Luger. And, only 9mm Luger. Not for me, thanks. There are many other pistols that can fire 9mm Luger and give you a lot more features and useful practicality.

If a 9mm single action revolver is your dream, the Ruger Blackhawk in .,357 with a 9mm cylinder covers it well, has adjustable sights, and the ability to also shoot .357 Magnum and .38 Special.

There are some terms that just don't seem to fit well together, for me, "Cowboy" and "9mm" are in that group, kind of like "Roman Centurion's cell phone". Its just outside the historical and traditional usage, but that's just me.
Old January 27, 2024, 03:05 PM   #6
armoredman

"Hello, Eighth Agusta Legion Headquarters, this is Primus Pilus Marcus' office, Optio Septimus speaking, how may I direct your call?"

In all seriousness, the first centerfire single action revolver I bought was in .357 Mag, not 45 Colt, because, as pointed out above, I already load 38 Special, so it was a natural progression without having to buy dies, brass, bullets, molds, etc.

I did consider the 9mm SAA...except it just seems..."weird", like this business we had in Tucson years ago, "Diana's Tires and Doors". Somethin' jest don' seem quite right, Elmer.
Old January 27, 2024, 03:46 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

While it may not be traditional, I always thought that a lever action carbine in 9mm would be a popular item. It sure would hold a lot of the little 9mms.
Old January 27, 2024, 05:59 PM   #8
HighValleyRanch

Does the new Pietta 9mm have a transfer bar so that you can safely carry with six rounds?
Old January 27, 2024, 10:17 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I always thought that a lever action carbine in 9mm would be a popular item. It sure would hold a lot of the little 9mms.
If it had a box magazine, sure. Tube magazine?? I'd be a bit leery. Some 9mms are very pointed "RN" and FMJ, besides. Probably be ok, but it would concern me a little.
Old January 27, 2024, 11:57 PM   #10
rc

I like lever actions and I like 9mm but a lever action in 9mm would be like ice cream with catchup on top!
Old January 28, 2024, 12:41 AM   #11
Pumpkin

I don’t think a 9mm in a tube mag would be a problem. The tapered case would find it difficult to line up square on the primer ahead of it. Be kind of like the spiral mag tube Remingtons. Recoil would be too light anyway, maybe a drop from a second story window might be enough to set off a primer.
Be more useful than a 22 mag lever gun.
Old January 28, 2024, 02:31 AM   #12
rc

A 327 Federal or 357 mag is more useful than a 22 mag from a carbine, but the 22 mag is the better round for small game. You can't fix every problem with a sledge hammer.
Old January 28, 2024, 07:10 AM   #13
jetinteriorguy

I’ve always thought a nice pump in 9mm would be pretty cool, especially if it used Glock mags. But I’d be tickled even with a tube fed version if you could bottom load like a pump shotgun and unload it by pulling the feeder out of the tube like a Henry. I don’t expect much, plus sell it for around $700.00. Oh yeah one last wish, put some fairly nice wood on it too.
Old January 28, 2024, 03:22 PM   #14
rclark

Quote:
There are some terms that just don't seem to fit well together, for me, "Cowboy" and "9mm" are in that group
That is my opinion as well .... My six-gun philosophy is to keep the auto cartridges in semi-autos where they belong and rimmed cartridges in revolvers. Just makes sense to me . Of course it is only IMHO. YMMV.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 29, 2024, 05:03 AM   #15
TruthTellers

I agree with 44 AMP on this not being a great choice, there are plenty of 9mm revolvers out there one can choose and a fixed sight SAA is low on the list. I am biased as I do not like fixed sights on SAA revolvers, I don't like aiming a foot off the target to be able to hit it, not in a full size handgun at least. A micro pocket pistol or a snub, that's fine, they're not meant for long distances.

The 9mm lever action also brought up in this thread, I would like to see it, but considering .22 Magnum levers are available, load it up with 50gr and it'll put a hurt on something down range.
Old January 29, 2024, 10:57 PM   #16
rclark

Quote:
I don't like aiming a foot off the target to be able to hit it,
huh??? I don't either. My fixed sighted revolvers sights/barrels gets adjusted until point of aim equals point of impact for the load I want to generally shoot. Whatever it takes to make it happen ... happens .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 30, 2024, 01:56 AM   #17
Bill DeShivs

Micro pistols or snubs are made for whatever distance you can shoot them at.
The most accurate handgun I ever shot was a S&W model 60, 2".
Old January 30, 2024, 07:39 AM   #18
jar

My old Western Marshall with the 9mm cylinder does shoot softly and accurately. It a Schmidt made one and I tend to use the 9mm cylinder as often or more often than the 38Special/357 one.
Old January 30, 2024, 11:35 AM   #19
Ricklin

Any clue?

Hey Jar, any clue where one could find a 9mm cylinder. I sold my western Marshall to my brother, he would love to get a 9mm cylinder for it. Heck of a great old bargain six gun, I assume you are talking the Sauer and Sohn revolver.
Old January 30, 2024, 02:43 PM   #20
stinkeypete

My 2 cents... a single action cowboy gun is almost like a .22 pistol. I think every pistolero should have at least one.

One reason is that there is no easier way to start reloading than with straight-walled brass in .357, .45 Colt or .44 Mag. 9mm isn't that hard but I detract half a cigar for not being straight walled.

Rimmed brass simplifies case length issues. Not a big issue, but no cigar for 9mm.

The selection of bullets, from soft swaged cowboy stuff to excellent hunting jacketed hollow points is excellent. 9mm is close, but I do not award half a cigar, penalized for fewer easy-to-find soft cast lead bullets for the cowboy load.

Historical Puffery. .45 Colt is .45 Colt. I pretend my .44 Magnum is almost .44-40, but it's not. For .38 you have to really stretch to say 'it's almost .36 caliber', but let's face facts: there weren't no Metric Cowboys. No cigar.

I had several .357/9mm Vaquero convertibles back in my day. When I sold them, the 9mm cylinders had never been used, but they got me a premium for used sales. I bet this has a good resale value. Cigar.

Some of those Italian cowboy gun clones seem pretty darned nice to me. If a fellow is dead set determined he won't learn to reload for love nor money, well... that's okay with me, I guess.
Old January 30, 2024, 02:45 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

9mm cylinders for out of production European made SA revolvers are said to be in a warehouse, somewhere between the Ark of the Covenant and the sword Excaliber. If you get to the Holy Grail, you went too far.....

Though others believe they are out there, somewhere, possibly between the ruins of Atlantis and King Solomon's Mines,

either way finding one will be a matter or serendipity, though not entirely impossible, I think you'd have better odds wining a lottery.

GOOD LUCK!
Old January 30, 2024, 04:30 PM   #22
Pumpkin

I’ve used my 38’s and 357’ for;
Snakes
Varmints
Finishing shots, Coup de grace
Target practice and plinking…..
I reckon had I used a 9mm Ruger Black Hawk most all the results would have been pretty much the same. These Texas rattlers might be offended by eating some shot from a 9mm shot shell but I’m past the point of caring.
Old February 2, 2024, 01:35 PM   #23
bamaranger

9mm SA

Not traditional, but I see the practicality of a 9mm revolver. The parabellum ammo is available near everywhere these days and usually the most affordable. If one wants a cowboy pistol, more powerful than a rimfire, and is not a reloader, 9mm starts to make sense. Even more sense if one has 9mm auto pistols.