The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 2019, 09:26 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

Old Redding model 2 powder scale

The scale I used before was an RCBS but gave it back to my brother and now I am reloading again and using a Redding Model #2 scale. It's al older 325 grain model with the oil resevoir and two counterpoise system. Brown crinkle finish. Screw adjustment level and nuts for adjusting zero.

Loading 5 grains of 231 powder with 200 grain LSWC .45acp

Just making sure I am reading this scale right.
It is balance at zero.
The right side is in tenths from 1 to 5 grains, correct?
(five divisions and ten marks on each division, so 5 grains overall and tenths)

The left side is 6 divisions, zero, 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 and five extra
Each division is marked into 10 marks, so I assume each mark is 5 grains.
(so this would work out to 325 grains which is what the scale is advertised on the old box)

So 5.4 grains would be set as left counterpoise on the first make (5 grains) and the right counterpoise on the 4th mark (4/10's grain)

4.8 grains would be left counterpoise on the zero, and 4.8 on the right?

So 5 grains could be the right side slid all the way to the 5 mark, or
zero on the right (tenths) side and the left countpoise on the first mark (as 5 grains each mark)

Advise if I am correct on these readings please, so I know for sure.
Thanks,
No new to reloading, but new to this scale and haven't reloaded for some time.
Old November 15, 2019, 10:24 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I don't have one, but from your description, I believe you are correct. The way to be sure (or should that be, 'the weigh to be sure?') is to weigh something. Jacketed bullets are very close to their claimed weight. A dime nominally weighs 35 grains, but actual coins will vary plus or minus enough that you cannot use them as accurate check weights, but they will be in the ballpark. To make one accurate, take it to your local drugstore and have the pharmacist weigh it. His scale will be calibrated, and you can use what he tells you it is. If he gives you grams, multiply them by 15.43236 to convert (closely enough). Give him a dime, a nickel, and a quarter, and you will have a check weight set.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 16, 2019, 06:25 PM   #3
billcarey

I have a Redding oil dampened scale that sounds exactly like yours except it doesn't have a model number. The box has $14.00 printed on the label if that helps date it. Yes, the left scale is in whole grains and the right scale is in 10ths up to 5 grains. Super accurate and this is the one I use when loading small loads. I have an old oil dampened Herters and it has the same beam and markings too...
Old November 17, 2019, 09:28 AM   #4
HighValleyRanch

Thanks, I loaded some starters to 5 grains of 231 and the glock with the StormLake barrel functioned without a hitch, but they felt like powder puff loads. The brass was ejecting to my forehead or right in front of me instead of over my shoulder with factory loads.
So the new 8 I loaded bumped up to 5.2 grains, and wil take them down to the field and chrono them today to see where I am on speed.

But I'm liking the setup, as the fully supported rifled SL barrel will be able to go from powder puff lead loads up to .45 super hardcast loads.

How do you recommend keeping the thicker starline super brass indentified from regular .45 brass at the range?
Old November 18, 2019, 03:06 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Look at the headstamp. The standard Starline 45 Auto brass has two stars connected by a split line symbol on the head. The thicker Starline +P 45 Auto brass has two stars connected by a line and also has +P on the headstamp.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle