The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 26, 2012, 08:55 AM   #26
KMAX

Twins

Sigarms 228, Ever see the movie Twins where Danny Divito and Arnold Schwarzenegger are twins? The two photos you showed are similar in that they are cars. To someone who pays no attention to details they may seem more similar. Details, details, details. I do however understand about the similar look of the HiPoint and the Springfield. They do look similar enough to me that I have yet to buy a Springfield, S&W auto, Glock, etc. Not saying those are not good firearms. I just am not thrilled with the looks. I prefer more classic looks in guns. I am old school (or otherwise).

Last edited by KMAX; January 26, 2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old January 26, 2012, 10:07 AM   #27
roaddog28

My take is your get what you pay for. Hi points are cheap. You can't compare them to even a Ruger P95 or a S&W Sigma. But Hi points do shoot and holdup well for the average shooter. Hi points are good to throw in a tool box or fishing box just in case a person needs to defend his or her life. The gun is better than nothing. Hi points are ugly, but so are a lot of semi-autos. I am not fond of a striker pistol. I prefer the old school semi-auto.
But even though I am not a big Hi Point fan, I own one. My C9 has its place and I do use it once in a while.
If a person want a "cheap" semi-auto, then buy a Hi Point.
Regards,
Howard
Old January 26, 2012, 11:10 AM   #28
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Quote:
I was going to go for the 9mm with Hi-Point, so, since the 9x18 Makarov is "basically" just as good, why not?
Where as the Makarov, and CZ 82 cost more than a Hi-Point, they both have steel slides. Making them more compact than the C9 Hi-Point. The CZ 82 has a 12 round double stack magazine as compared to the Hi-Point's 8 round single stack. However neither of the former Eastern Bloc guns have the unconditional, no questions asked lifetime warranty of the Hi-Point. Caliber wise, the 9X18 Makarov is closer to, and in many loadings the same as the 380 ACP (9X17).
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 26, 2012, 12:24 PM   #29
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Truth is that they are neck and neck with the Ruger P-95, as most likely to turn up at the crime scene!
The article from which you're quoting is 11 years old, and the fact that they show up at crime scenes has nothing to do with their quality as a functional firearm. If that were the case, then the S&W revolver is possibly the worst handgun ever made. Jeez.

As others have said, the Hi-Points are clunky and lack refinement. They're not my cup of tea. But, they seem to be reasonably reliable for the price.

I'm very distressed with the tone this thread has taken, and I'd advise everyone here to re-read the forum rules regarding civility.
Old January 26, 2012, 12:35 PM   #30
Microgunner

They're cheap, and like everything in life, you get what you pay for.
No free lunches over at MKS/Hi-Point.
Old January 26, 2012, 12:58 PM   #31
ducote32

As a owner of one, C9, I would say that they are inexpensive, reliable, not the best looking. If function is all you need, they will fire when you press the trigger. I have one under the bed along with an old 38 special. I'd use whatever I could grab first. Best thing you could do is find someone that has one or a gun shop that has one and ask to fire it if they have an indoor range. They do have a different feel to them.
Old January 26, 2012, 12:58 PM   #32
bitttorrrent

Quote:
the 9x18 Makarov is "b
Doesn't this ammo cost a lot more thant 9mm?

And no I do not have a Hi-Point because every time I find one on the internet, it is sold out by the time I get around to putting in my basket. These things literally sell like hot cakes. So despite all the banter people are buying them.

I will pick one up just for the h..(fun) of it. Used guns are great if you can find them, but the lifetime warranty is harder to find one on a used gun.

For instance, I just picked up a very nice Taurus pt-99 ss, for 375.00 with around 500 rounds through it. 0 failures in my first outing, But looks like the mags were traded around and now I need two replacement ones at 30.00 each so now I am over 400.00. Taurus warranty does not cover mags after speaking with them. Gun works perfect, but one mag is worn and other is non standard and won't hold open slide after running thru. I should have checked when doing the transaction.

But even though I got this used, Taurus said if there was any problem with the gun itself just send it in and they will fix it. That is awesome.

So again, I have no problem with buying a hi-point and its lifetime warranty.

My only question is if there is an R&D department at Hi-Point and are they developing a slightly more refined 9mm in the future, or are they just going to keep producing these for the next 20 years.
Old January 26, 2012, 02:56 PM   #33
GunXpatriot

Honestly, I'm starting to look over at a CZ-82, looks like a sweet gun, watching a few videos on it as well. Seems better overall as far as quality goes. I may just look into getting both, as they're both cheap anyway. Not sure I'm ready to make the jump to a $500 pistol, just yet.
Old January 26, 2012, 04:11 PM   #34
cwok

Response to GunX re Hi-Point

I shoot several .45s (Colt Gold Cup, STI Spartan; Hi-Point, and Glock).

The Hi-Point shoots at 10 yards a little better than the others __ OOPS, - change that to: I shoot the Hi-Point at 10 yards a little better than I shoot the others.
I mounted the odd 'peep' style sight on the Hi-Point when I got it. I've never seen anyone else bother to try it, but it seems to work for me.

At 25 yards I do much better with the STI Spartan than any of the four, probably the fiber front sight just works better for my eyes.

A couple of points:
  1. - You'll find it hard to buy a .45 acp as cheaply as a Hi-Point.
  2. - About the time you've fired 1500 rounds (I'm at a little over 1,000 and it still shoots the same) you'll realize that the the intital price of the firearm is only a small part of the overall cost of ownership.
  3. - If you only shoot 100 rounds a year - then the initial cost is a significant part of overall cost.
  4. - Hi-Points are bulky and heavy.
  5. - They (meaning the specific one I have experience with) go bang every time -- after the first 150 rounds or so.

If you decide to buy one -- at least take a brown paper bag with you, when you go to pay for it, so no can see what you bought.
Old January 26, 2012, 04:28 PM   #35
spacecoast

Quote:
I suppose these two look similar to you also?? Separated a birth??
But, you have to say, both of them get you to your destination, one a LOT more cheaply than the other.

I like my Hi-Point carbine. It goes bang every time.
Old January 26, 2012, 04:34 PM   #36
Cheapshooter

Another perspective on Hi-Point size!

That's my XD40 Subcompact "hiding" my Hi-Point C9!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 26, 2012, 04:38 PM   #37
Drummer101

Glock barrel cost about $130 (rough estimate).

And that is what holds the cartridge.

Making the whole firearm cost that much with so much pressure makes me feel nervous.
Old January 26, 2012, 04:44 PM   #38
Clifford L. Hughes

GunxPatriot:
I'm not going to bash Hipoint because it is reliable and a good choice for people on low budgets. However, I'm going to bash the use of the words Saturday Night Special. There's no such thing as a Saturday Night Special. The words were conjured up by anti-gunners to fire up their colleague to encourag them to vote for anti-gun legislation. By using those word you are playing into the Anti's hands.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old January 26, 2012, 06:17 PM   #39
GunXpatriot

Clifford, yeah, I get what you mean. I just used it as a classification for a "cheap, sh***y pistol"

Good advice from cwok on the brown paper bag.
Old January 26, 2012, 06:37 PM   #40
C0untZer0

The term Saturday Night Special was not coined by anti-gunners, but they did a great job of completely changing the meaning of it and got it into the public consciousness in an attempt not only to ban firearms but to put firearm manufacturers out of business.

When I was growing up the term referred to firearms that were concealable, homemade or improvised, and low quality, including defunct firearms that were made operational with questionable methods, another connotation was that they weren't too safe. The way I remember it, they also didn't last long. I heard that they were things that took maybe a week to make, they were made for the weekend or "Saturday Night", and if they were used, it would take a week to get them operational again or another week for another SNS to be created

In the late sixties the term started to morph to include low-cost firearms.

Raven Arms, Davis, Intratech, Lorcin and others had the Saturday Night Special invective aimed at them - I guess Hi-Point too.
Old January 26, 2012, 06:47 PM   #41
C0untZer0

The Hi-Points probably get ten times the amount of attention they deserve because of threads like these.

I've been through 4 of these threads and they're basically identical.

Couldn't people get all this information just by searching the forum and reading the last two threads on this same subject?

There are plenty of really good guns out there and they rarely get the multi-page threads worth of attention that the Hi-Point does...

I can see why lubrication/cleaning, 9mm v .45 (or 40), revolver v semi-auto, and "stopping power" are zombie threads. But Hi-Point? Seriously?
Old January 26, 2012, 07:10 PM   #42
Colonel Custer

Correct me if I'm wrong please

Didn't Hi Point and Lorcin spawn in the same pool? Lorcin was the forerunner I think anyway so technically speaking the Lorcin 380 is to Hi Point what a Rossi is to a Taurus.

The Question is are you going to blast 5000+ rounds through the gun in it's life time? Are you going to shoot at competitions? If so maybe buy another gun. But If not and this will be a defence weapon that will be lucky to get 250 rounds fired through it a year then go for it. Your resale on it is horrible but if you keep it then np. Hi Points have gone up in price in the last 4 years the $99 9mm is now around $139 and the $139 .45 cal is at $149. So if that is the only gun you can afford go for it it is better than throwing rocks at home invaders.

Well I guess I will sleep with a chainsaw next to my bed. Not the same as a gun but I figure the sound of it revving up will be as effective as a pump shot gun being cycled.
Old January 26, 2012, 07:20 PM   #43
xGlockmeisterx

cz 82

The cz 82 is another very reliable handgun at a good price. i have one and it fits my hand very well. it is very accurate and holds 12 rounds of 9x18 makarov. i think it has one of the best trigger pulls on a used military pistol that i have ever come across.

The polish p 64 in the same caliber has a horrific trigger pull in double action but can be fixed with aftermarket springs. if you have the choice to buy a cz 82 for $150 then get it, but also i paid $200 for mined and it came with a case, box of ammo, a holster, and two mags. i think i got a good deal on it but this was two years ago and the prices might have changed some from when i got mine.

I actually saw a cz 83 for $450 at the same place i got my 82. of course this is a newly produced pistol made by cz and chambered in the 380 acp, but i would rather have the cz 82 instead.

As for the hi point compared to the cz 82, it just depends on if you want a pistol with a lifetime warranty or one without, but i think i would pick the cz over the hi point if i was in your place. you can carry it much more concealed and it will fit in smaller places then the hi point. i do wish the frame on the hi point was a little slimmer.
Old January 26, 2012, 07:38 PM   #44
Muad' Dib

Quote:
The article from which you're quoting is 11 years old, and the fact that they show up at crime scenes has nothing to do with their quality as a functional firearm. If that were the case, then the S&W revolver is possibly the worst handgun ever made. Jeez.

As others have said, the Hi-Points are clunky and lack refinement. They're not my cup of tea. But, they seem to be reasonably reliable for the price.

I'm very distressed with the tone this thread has taken, and I'd advise everyone here to re-read the forum rules regarding civility.
Those S&W revolvers are very likely fed to the gangs via the surplus market, which you happen to know translates as, very very inexpensive, and available! Ruger's typically have NIB retail prices that match, or even fall short of those of certain surplus hardware...Other then that, the list is the list, and it stands as a very good representation of what shows up the most, and why!
Old January 26, 2012, 07:43 PM   #45
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad' Dib
Those S&W revolvers are very likely fed to the gangs via the surplus market, which you happen to know translates as, very very inexpensive, and available! Ruger's typically have NIB retail prices that match, or even fall short of those of certain surplus hardware...Other then that, the list is the list, and it stands as a very good representation of what shows up the most, and why!
What in the world are you talking about?
They are commonly used in crimes because they were once one of the most popular handguns in America and therefore one of the most likely to be stolen.
Old January 26, 2012, 07:45 PM   #46
Muad' Dib

Quote:
The Hi-Points probably get ten times the amount of attention they deserve because of threads like these.

I've been through 4 of these threads and they're basically identical.

Couldn't people get all this information just by searching the forum and reading the last two threads on this same subject?

There are plenty of really good guns out there and they rarely get the multi-page threads worth of attention that the Hi-Point does...

I can see why lubrication/cleaning, 9mm v .45 (or 40), revolver v semi-auto, and "stopping power" are zombie threads. But Hi-Point? Seriously?
I couldn't agree more, it's shameful, these things are essentially zip guns! Yet here we are, being treated to a textbook education in political correctness. I can only add one other thing to the topic, if they happen to be so dirt poor that all they can afford is one of these factory built zip guns, then how in the world can any of them afford the monthly internet service that enables them to participate in these threads?
Old January 26, 2012, 07:49 PM   #47
Muad' Dib

Quote:
What in the world are you talking about?
They are commonly used in crimes because they were once one of the most popular handguns in America and therefore one of the most likely to be stolen
Both are very likely scenarios, yet stolen S&W wheelguns doesn't begin to cover the disproportion...
Old January 26, 2012, 07:52 PM   #48
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad' Dib
Both are very likely scenarios, yet stolen S&W wheelguns doesn't begin to cover the disproportion...
I completely disagree.
Old January 26, 2012, 08:09 PM   #49
Muad' Dib

Quote:
I completely disagree
Good enough...
Old January 26, 2012, 08:54 PM   #50
CUBAN REDNECK

Hey, I wouldn't buy one, but then again I wouldn't buy a Kimber either. It's personal preference either way. Yeah they're clunky and big, so is a Ruger. The Hi-Point is good if you like it. If you don't, turn it in for another $200 as an another poster suggested.
Closed Thread

Tags
200 , hi-point , money , pistol