The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 16, 2011, 11:04 PM   #26
Brasscatcher84

I think I've just about decided on a Ruger Mark III with a 6 inch barrel.
Old August 17, 2011, 12:27 AM   #27
Edward429451

Well for a long time there my only 22 pistol was a Ruger Super Bearcat. That little 4" fixed sight gun has more kills than any other gun in the house. Squirrels and Rabbits mostly.
Old August 17, 2011, 01:18 AM   #28
Niantician

I hunt both rabbit and squirrel with a Taurus Tracker in 17HMR 6.5 barrel, with a 2x6 scope. I take only headshots because the 17HMR tends to cause a lot of trauma to soft tissue. A good single action .22 by Browning or Ruger with a low power scope or even a red dot is just fine for squirrels. Rabbits.. not being in a tree, tend to not be as cocky as squirrels and my not let you get within a good 22 pistol distance. But I guess that all depends on the area and they're skiddishness. Some rabbits live less stressfull lives than others.
Old August 17, 2011, 02:16 AM   #29
salvadore

Back in the 70s I was death on ground squirrels. Sure wish I had that woodsman back.
Old August 17, 2011, 02:18 AM   #30
aaalaska

Haven't used anything else for over 20 years,my choice is a S&W 22a with a 7 in barrel. Rabbit head shots are great, but grouse and ptarmigan head shots make you focus.
Old August 17, 2011, 02:47 AM   #31
swopjan

what's that you're shooting in the second pic salvadore? looks like a Remington 1858, am i far off the mark?
Old August 17, 2011, 09:10 AM   #32
scottycoyote

to me, and in my area (mountainous with fairly dense forests), small game with a pistol is pretty challenging. Actually its too challenging lol. Ive got a great shooting browning buckmark with a bull barrel, but the one time i took it squirrel hunting it was all i could do to get one.
Old August 17, 2011, 10:24 AM   #33
Pahoo

One size does not fit all !!!

Quote:
I wish we had the black squirrels here in Ohio like they have in Michigan.
We have black squirrels in Iowa but it is spotty. Now, I'm talking pure black, not dark greys. About a month ago, we had one in our back yard and sure wish he would come back. We have Fox, Greys, Blacks and Reds, up north. I think the greys taste better than the fox, although they are much smaller. ..

Quote:
Brasscatcher84; I think I've just about decided on a Ruger Mark III with a 6 inch barrel.
Good call !!! This year, I'm trying out my MK-III Hunter model and feel I can get by with the HiViz fiber optic sights. I like to get close to the squirrels or perhaps I need to. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 17, 2011, 11:08 AM   #34
rickyrick

Those ground squirrels looks like they have Russian-eurasian feral boar-squirrel genetic influences Better look out
Old August 17, 2011, 12:48 PM   #35
shortwave

Brasscatcher posted:

Quote:
I think I've just about decided on a Ruger Mark III with a 6" barrel
The Ruger MK III series pistol is a good choice but to my knowledge the closest you'll get to a 6" bbl is either 5 1/2" or 6 7/8". Don't believe its offered in a 6".

Pahoo posted:

Quote:
Good call!!!
...and I agree.

At the risk of sounding like a Ruger salesman, I've been hunting with Ruger MK series pistols for the last thirty years and have found them to have outstanding reliability, accuracy and ruggedness.... And yes Pahoo, due to eye problems that comes with getting old, have had to change sight formats also.
Things get much worse and I'll have to resort to a Crimson Trace laser grip.
Old August 17, 2011, 01:29 PM   #36
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Only adjustment I have had to make since the 70's is cut my range down to 20 yards instead of 60 and wear shooting glasses with tinted lenses. The yellow makes everything stand out in the woods under heavy cover and on overcast days. I also am more likely to look for a tree to brace my shooting arm against instead of off hand shots like I used to do.

One thing hasn't changed, I still have the same two guns and I still use 40 gr solids. I have lost rabbits with hollow points, the 40 gr nails them to the ground. Squirrels and pigeons don't make much difference but I like the small hole the non expanding bullet makes because I am eating what I shoot. If I am hunting the only ammo in my pocket is 40 gr standard velocity. I'm not particularly fussy about manufacturer as long as the cartridge goes bang. Hitting the target is on me not the ammo.

Just dos centavos from an old dinosaur.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 17, 2011, 03:17 PM   #37
shortwave

Old Grump posted:

Quote:
the 40gr nails them to the ground
Yes they do.

I hunt with them out of a MK II with a 10" bull bbl. thats virtually like shooting a rifle when it comes to accuracy. A real tack driver. Thinking of scoping this one.

Old Grump also posted:

Quote:
I also am more likely to look for a tree to brace my shooting arm against...
Me too Grump. Especially when using the 10" bull bbl
Old August 18, 2011, 12:06 AM   #38
salvadore

You got it swopjan, sometimes that was all I would carry. Slow shooting, but the squirrels were thick.

You are so right rickyrick, my PH always backed me up with his .375 H&H in cased one charged. A terrifying experience I would wish on no one.
Old August 18, 2011, 12:38 AM   #39
Brasscatcher84

What about ammo selection for pistol hunting?
Old August 18, 2011, 12:51 AM   #40
Buzzcook

^
Just pick what shoots best out of your gun. No need for super dooper ammo to kill a squirrel.
Old August 18, 2011, 09:29 AM   #41
Pahoo

One size does not fit all

Not really all that special but on my hunters and target, I stay away from any bulk ammo. In my Hunters, I use CCI MiniMags or Winchester Super-X. You don't really need the hollow-points but they are an option. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 18, 2011, 02:24 PM   #42
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
What about ammo selection for pistol hunting?
Read post 36. If one brand doesn't work for you try another but I have found that my revolvers and pistols are not brand fussy. What some of my pistols do not like are soft lead bullets, truncated cone bullets and shorter than normal bullets. Heavy waxed bullets will mean having to clean the chamber sooner than if you shoot plated bullets but solid bullets from any brand should work for you.

Your marksmanship counts for more that your ammo choice does.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 18, 2011, 09:27 PM   #43
treg

Quote:
I still use 40 gr solids. I have lost rabbits with hollow points, the 40 gr nails them to the ground.
Quote:
but solid bullets from any brand should work for you.
That is completely contrary to my experience. I have had and have seen too many animals crawl away to a hole in a tree or in the ground because a solid .22 bullet zipped right thru. There MAY be some meat damage with HP's but you will loose far less game and take your prey much more quickly and cleanly with HP's.

Quote:
If one brand doesn't work for you try another but I have found that my revolvers and pistols are not brand fussy.
Quote:
but solid bullets from any brand should work for you.
I have yet to see a .22 pistol that will shoot a hunting worthy group with every brand or type of ammo. 'Ya gotta test 'em and see what your gun likes. Some brands may shoot like a shotgun pattern while another will shoot almost a one hole group from the same gun. No fun hunting with a gun you can't hit anything with.
Old August 19, 2011, 08:12 AM   #44
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Like I said, my pistol is fussy my revolver isn't. Neither is my brothers single six. There aren't a whole lot of brands I haven't tried and only a few have been clinkers. Some of the beast brands are no longer made and if I had known that at the time I wouldn't have shot them up but so it goes. I only claim to be good looking, not smart.

As for game getting away after a hit I only had that happen with a hollow point. I blew a hole in his gut and he took off running with his guts hanging out. He got down into his hole before I could get another shot off. I have never had that happen in 40+ years shooting solids, Maybe the fact I shoot standard velocity target ammo may have something to do with my accuracy and not blowing clear through a rabbit most of the time. I have had to shoot a few twice but not often and they didn't get away, I hit them they stopped where I shot them, most died instantly. I never had a problem taking squirrels or pigeons with a single shot, HP definitely not needed.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 19, 2011, 08:30 AM   #45
shortwave

I also have never felt the need for 22HP's for small game hunting.

Would also have to question just how much expansion a 22HP would have in the soft tissue of a rabbit or squirrel...or would it pass through just like a RN?
Old August 20, 2011, 08:19 PM   #46
treg

Quote:
Would also have to question just how much expansion a 22HP would have in the soft tissue of a rabbit or squirrel...or would it pass through just like a RN?
Yes, they do expand. Basicly the amount of expansion is related to the size of the hole and the flatness of the point which varies between various rounds. Selecting an accurate round is more important than which HP you choose.

Anyone here ever used Paco Kelly's Accurizer to flatten solid .22LR bullet points for use on small game?
Old August 21, 2011, 09:30 AM   #47
Daryl

I've shot a fair number of bunnies, and even a few squirrels with handguns. It wasn't always a .22, but often enough it was. Usually it's whatever I'm wearing on my hip when the season's open and I happen across the critter that's to becaome my dinner.

Truthfully, I never really thought of it as a "challenge". It's just what I used to accomplish the task at hand. It's just not that hard if you can shoot a pistol half way accurately. Many times I've shot running jackrabbits with a Ruger Blackhawk or some such.

My advice? Get out and try it. You'll never know what you can do 'till you try.

Daryl
Old August 21, 2011, 12:16 PM   #48
Edward429451

Look out! A Hippie with a gun!

Those are great pics man. I watched The Enforcer again the other night and found it hilarious that the bad guys were Hippies with M16's. That was the beginning of Nixons war on drugs though so I suppose they were tryin to demonize Hippies at that point.

Back on topic, I've used solids and HP's for small gaming and found that there really isn't much difference. It's still all about shot placement. I have lost bunnies with HP's and I've nailed them with solids. I use solids more because I like the extra weight.