The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 3, 2010, 03:39 PM   #51
Mello2u

Need2Know,

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf
The above link shows many but not all small handguns.

It should help you start a comparison of the three dimensions that can effect your choice of a comfortable carry weapon in the manner in which you decide to carry. You might be surprised at how significant the width of a handgun can be in whether it is comfortable for you carry. The difference between a J-framed S&W at 1.25" in width and a Kahr PM9 at 1.10" in width may make a world of difference to you.

I keep using the pronoun "you" in the above sentences as the process of choosing a concealed carry handgun is an intensely personal choice.

Choosing which handgun to carry and how you will carry it, is only a start. You need to know the laws which may bear upon your use of that handgun in self-defense.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old April 10, 2010, 10:46 PM   #52
XR750

A S&W 6906 will fit in a pocket.
XR750
Old April 13, 2010, 11:54 AM   #53
Helios

Quote:
I want longer range capability and a better chance of a quick stop.
Glock 20 10MM in a shoulder rig worn over a t-shirt and under a solid, dark colored, button up dress shirt. With the right rig it won't move around to much and after a week you'll forget it's there. I leave my third button (from the top) open and my hand can slide right in with almost no effort. My tie covers the fact that my button is open.

I'd also have a gun locker mounted in my office with a shotgun ready to go inside.

Good luck and stay safe.
Old April 18, 2010, 06:40 PM   #54
2cooltoolz

Hi,
I have a J-frame which I carry occasionally, but most of the time I carry a Kahr PM9. I pocket carry almost exclusively. I don't feel undergunned with the J-frame, but it's actually a little longer and thicker than the PM9, 9mm, 6+1 or 7+1 with the included extended mag.

I am required to dress "business casual" at work, and actually am most comfortable in khakis and polos anyway. In most standard weight khakis my PM9 is invisible in the pocket. My wife bought me a couple of pairs of lightweight khakis for summer, though and even my LCP, in the pocket, prints through them.
The built in holster undershirts would be too much for Houston Gulf Coast 100 degree, 98% humidity days, so I just ordered a SmartCarry. Should receive it in a week. I'll let you know how it works.

Last edited by 2cooltoolz; April 18, 2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old April 21, 2010, 06:16 PM   #55
2cooltoolz

Well, my SmartCarry came in...Fast Shipping!

I've been wearing it around all afternoon as I've gone about my business, walked the dogs, sitting here now on the interwebs..
I think it's a go!
I haven't shown it to my wife or daughter yet, but I've asked them both to look really closely to see if they could see a gun or a holster and neither did. Then I showed them my LCP in my Nemesis, in my pocket. Neither noticed the PM9 and still haven't.
Sorry, I didn't iron fresh for you guys. Had the pants on all day.

Kahr PM9 in a SmartCarry

Don't freak out! That's not my undies! I got the white Smart Carry

Did you notice the LCP/Nemesis in my pocket?
Old April 22, 2010, 08:55 AM   #56
ncpatriot

Pocket Carry?

My brother in law has a Bersa 380, very slim and light. He carries it in a pocket holster in left front jeans pocket. Smooth and flat; if anything, looks like a wallet in the pocket. It does take 2 hands; pull out with left and draw weapon with right. But well hidden and easy to carry.
Old April 22, 2010, 10:17 AM   #57
photogadam

The Taurus TCP 738 and maybe the 709 comes with a cell phone/PDA belt clip holster. It looks just like a cell phone on your belt.
Old April 22, 2010, 11:19 AM   #58
ATW525

If you want to keep a shotgun or lever action rifle handy, but secured from unauthorized access, you might want to look at these.

I use the rifle version of the V-line case to secure my home defense long gun. It has holes on the back side for secure mounting. Access is through a mechanical push button Simplex lock that requires no electricity. The rifle version holds up a to a 20" barreled AR-15 with A2 fixed stock, but for your needs you can probably get away with the cheaper shotgun version.

They also make a rifle cabinet that's designed to mount recessed into a wall between the studs. That unit can hold more, but is also notably more expensive, and you likely don't need to keep multiple long guns in a single location.

Additionally they offer handgun sized units, including some that can be mounted under counters. They use the same Simplex lock and can be set to the same combination.

Of course, if you go that route I would suggest keeping the j-frame on you so that if you're not immediately near your stashed gun you have the capability to fight your way to it.
Old April 22, 2010, 11:46 AM   #59
wayneinFL

The snubby in your pocket can be a formidable weapon, and if it's on you , it beats the gun you have stashed somewhere. And if you want to stash a gun somewhere, the snubby may help you fight your way to it.

That said, if you still want to up that snubby, you can pocket a Glock 27 in the right pair of pants. Or use a Smart Carry or Thunderwear.