The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 25, 2023, 04:18 PM   #1
fooey

Need advice on scope ring height measurement?

I need scope rings for my AR that are at least 1" from top of picatinny rail to bottom of scope. Are measurements from manufacturers quoted from top of rail to centerline of scope or bottom of scope? Looking at Monstrum Rings.
Are they any good? Thanks.
Oh ya, I don't want to use a AR mount because I use a brass catcher that needs the QD mounted under middle of scope. I have a couple of the Monstrum AR mounts and the brass catcher won't clear the bottom of the mount.

Last edited by fooey; March 25, 2023 at 06:45 PM.
Old March 25, 2023, 05:43 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

Top of the rail to the centerline. Take a look at this mount. The 6th photo down shows how to measure. Scope rings for AR's are generally around 1.5in give or take a little. Due to the buffer tube coming straight back off the gun, and not having the drop in the stock like a traditional rifle, the scope needs to be higher so you can get a proper cheek weld.

If you looking for a good cheap mount I have been using the monstrum line fore a bit. Good and solid. Torque the base screws to 25in-lb and the ring screws to 15in-lb. Rock solid. they do make some 1in versions, but they did not have the right photo to show how to measure.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0851QYQ5Z...roduct_details

If I am understanding correctly, and you are wanting 1in between the top of the rail and the bottom of the rings, you will want a 1.5in height ring set of rings. Basically 1in, plus half and inch to get to the center line of the scope.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; March 25, 2023 at 06:09 PM.
Old March 25, 2023, 05:44 PM   #3
Nathan

You will be happier buying an AR15 scope mount. There is a standard height that works best for most scopes and most people. Something like this:

ADM Mount