The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 15, 2011, 09:10 AM   #1
codybear

SIG 220 vs M&P 45

New to site. I am looking for input on a Sig P220 I two M&P 45and love them tack drives. I am looking for something different. I want to see how the Sig compares to the M&P. Thanks
Old July 15, 2011, 09:15 AM   #2
warpig602

No comparison...the 220 is proabably the most accurate and reliable DA/SA in production.
Old July 15, 2011, 09:16 AM   #3
TunnelRat

Methinks you need to edit your post so I can understand it. My guess is you own 2 M&P 45s but want something new like the Sig? My friend has a Sig P220 and I've used it a number of times. Always felt that it was OKAY, but was never really impressed. Seemed to have a lot of felt recoil, but I could be wrong. I'm a 1911 person myself. To me the extra weight helps soak up some of the recoil. Again, just IMO.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 15, 2011, 09:16 AM   #4
18DAI

Deleted

Last edited by 18DAI; July 15, 2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old July 15, 2011, 10:58 AM   #5
Smaug

Sig - Classical hammer-fired design. Easier to shoot accurately in single action mode. Lower capacity.

M&P - Modern striker-fired design, has the same trigger pull each time. Lower bore axis makes for about the same perceived recoil, despite the lower gun weight. Better-looking. (IMO) There have been some complaints about the stock trigger in M&Ps. Whether it is the weight, the consistency of the pull or what, I do not know.

If I were to choose between these two guns, I would think first of my intended use. If it is to be mostly for target shooting at the range I'd probably go with the P220. For carry or action shooting, I think the M&P would be better due to higher capacity and lighter weight. P220s are 7-round single stack guns, I believe, and the M&Ps are at least 10 rounders.

You should see if you can hook up with someone here locally who's got a P220 and give it a go. Some folks simply prefer the feel of a metal gun. Feels more substantial and less toy-like. But when it comes to carrying, a lighter gun is sure nice. That's part of why Glocks are so popular.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old July 15, 2011, 11:12 AM   #6
dgludwig

I like and respect both of the pistols in question but I carry the 220 (Carry model) concealed in an iwb holster because I prefer the slimness the single-stack magazine affords (the significant trade-off being less ammunition capacity). As Smaug points out well, there are substantial differences between the two pistols (not necessarily making one "better" than the other but certainly different enough from each other to be potentially important in subjective ways for an individual user); differences that might well make one shooter prefer the Smith over the SIG and vice-versa for purely personal reasons.
Old July 15, 2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Single Six

With the choices presented, I'd say S&W. Given the serious issues I've had with the P220, I would only recommend the Sig {any Sig} to someone I didn't like.
Old July 15, 2011, 11:26 AM   #8
BarryLee

Quote:
I carry the 220 (Carry model) concealed in an iwb holster
Yes, same here. I have really enjoyed the P220 I have and have found it reliable and accurate. My primary focus is carry and self defense and I believe it fills that function nicely.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 15, 2011, 11:35 AM   #9
rauchman

Outside of my HK P7, the P220, that my buddy owns, is THE most accurate pistol I've ever fired. Having said that, aside from range use, it's not the 1st choice in a .45 that I would want in a fighting pistol. I find myself moving away from DA/SA triggers and think its capacity isn't great. I think the M&P/G21(SF),HK USP/45 would be a better fighting gun choice. If you're just looking for something different to have fun w/ at the range and what not, the P220 is an excellent choice. There is a variant called the P220 Super Match w/ a 5" barrel/slide and SA only trigger w/ thumb safety that ..... taunts me!!!
Old July 15, 2011, 01:55 PM   #10
MK11

Big fan of the M&P, big fan of the Sig. Find yourself a P220ST with EXTERNAL extractor (Top Gun Supply?) and you're good to go. The weight of the ST makes it very pleasant to shoot.
Old July 15, 2011, 02:21 PM   #11
Smaug

You might also consider a Glock 36 for carry. It is a compact single stack 45. Thinner and smaller than the M&P and probably the P220 too.

Carrying a P220 takes commitment.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old July 15, 2011, 03:30 PM   #12
temmi

I have one of each... and a HK to boot.

You may want to throw a H&K USP in 45 ACP into the mix.

I love my sig... but I have small hands and need the single stack the Sig offers.

Try the USP....

Snake
Old July 15, 2011, 04:54 PM   #13
BGutzman

I use a P220 Carry for CCW everyday.... Yes, its a somewhat expensive gun but you get what you pay for.
Old July 15, 2011, 05:15 PM   #14
Coltman 77

IMO, codybear was either drunk when he posted this or has 3rd grade spelling skills.

Until he revisits this thread and clarify's his question, I'll refrain from responding.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old July 15, 2011, 08:11 PM   #15
chris in va

Didn't care for my Sig 220, even after 6+ years. Just couldn't get used to the DA/SA transition and high bore axis coupled with the thin grip profile.

It was dead nuts reliable though, only stopping when the trigger return spring snapped.

I replaced it with a Glock 21SF which is better in some respects, but grip angle is still not stellar.
Old July 16, 2011, 02:53 PM   #16
presspics

I wouldn't mind an old German stamped steel slide version of the SIG P220. Unfortunately, given all of the problems that SIG has been having with their many tweaks and changes on the P220 I wouldn't touch one that is newer than say 8 years old.

The M&P 45 is a great gun all around. No issues with the newer ones and much less expensive than the SIG.

The choice would be clear for me.
Old July 16, 2011, 09:07 PM   #17
bigredfish

Really? I'm not aware of any mass problems with P220's in the past few years? In fact, the newer guns with the external extractor seem to be VERY reliable. My P220 SSE has been flawless with a wide variety of ammo for over 1500 rounds so far, it's about a year and a half old.
Old July 16, 2011, 09:47 PM   #18
insolentshrew

The p220 is probably the gun I have shot the best out of any gun I have ever picked up for the first time. My brother bought his p220 and first time out shooting with it we were at a plinking range, we had a bunch of expended 12 gauge shells sitting upright at about 20 feet. I think I missed one out of 7 the first time I shot it. I still shoot his p220 better than my own p229 and I have a fraction of the trigger time with it. It is just an outright tack driver. Seeing as you already have the m&p covered, what would you do, buy a 3rd? Get the 220, you won't regret it.
Old July 17, 2011, 01:08 AM   #19
banditgriot

Without a doubt the P220 is one of the most accurate out-of-the-box firearms you can purchase. However, that high bore axis make it a bit slower to shoot for me. That said, I ran a box of Federal 185 Match Semi-wadcutters through mine once and the combination made a few of the other range members sit up and take notice. At 30 feet I drilled out the X-ring with a five shot group that was really picture perfect. Probably couldn't do it again if my life depended on it though...
Old July 18, 2011, 03:40 AM   #20
jmstr

I like the Sig. I bought both. I sold the Sig.

No matter what I did [short of shooting 2000 rounds from one pistol alone] I was never as accurate with my P220 Combat as I was with my M&P .45, with my Kimber Compact II .45, or even my $350 Ruger P97 .45.

I love the feel in my hand. I had to pay bills. I do not miss it.

I am VERY happy with the M&P. It holds 10.

I do not CCW. I use it for home defense.

Sig makes great guns [I kept my P225]. I love the feel. They are respected for their accuracy. I am not as accurate with them as I am with almost anything else.
Old July 18, 2011, 05:12 AM   #21
Double Impact

The Idea that current productions of the sig p220 are having tons of problems is nothing but internet BS.
I have two the latest is a p220R carry elite SS birth date left factory jan 2011 I got it Feb of 2011 just passed 6600 rds 100% performance and accurate as hell.

My other carry gun is a 1911 which people also say are undependable and a old outdated gun.
Well i have over 10000 rds thru mine with nothing other then some bad ammo a couple of times.
Old July 18, 2011, 11:49 AM   #22
loose_holster_dan

m&p has always been too small for my hands. sig p220 is fine if you have smaller hands (single stack) and don't mind a low capacity (again, single stack). loving sigs, i looked at the p220 but couldn't get past the low capacity. settled on the xdm 45. love it. crazy accurate. loves my hand. 15rnds. can't beat it.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old July 18, 2011, 12:03 PM   #23
dgludwig

Quote:
The Idea that current productions of the sig p220 are having tons of problems is nothing but internet BS.
I agree-and I'm a little surprised that more of the nay-sayers haven't shown up yet. A few of them haunt the threads, with no other apparent purpose than to pounce on posters who dare to report having a good experience with a SIG Model 220-especially the later production ones with milled slides and internal extractors.