The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 17, 2016, 07:25 PM   #1
Chainsaw.

IDPA big boom fun!

So I shot IDPA this past Saturday with my smith 629 5" classic.....in 44 mag. If you shoot IDPA dont for get you can shoot your "other" guns in the NFC (not for competition) division if you like. All rules apply EXCEPT for gun rules. Much Much fun.
Old July 18, 2016, 08:11 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Not quite as big and booming, but I do know a guy who competes with a 3" GP100 with .357s.

Quote:
All rules apply EXCEPT for gun rules
There is a great deal of misunderstanding or willful noncompliance with this.
I don't think I have ever seen anybody with a NFC gun in an IDPA regulation concealment holster. I have seen mostly full USPSA rigs and the occasional tackytickle thigh holster. That is not what NFC was set up for and not what the rules call for.
Old July 18, 2016, 10:27 PM   #3
Chainsaw.

Nice. We have three guys that compete with six shooters (some times). One runs the smith that is chambered in 45acp, another runs a performance center 686, and last but definitely not least a fellow run a security six with a bobbed hammer, his reloads are FAST!

I think you're right about the blatant disregard, the MDs must be easy, those guys would get a polite boot if they pulled that here I'd think.

It really was fun, maybe next Ill run my little ruger .22.
Old July 22, 2016, 03:00 PM   #4
tedbeau

Our club holds a weekly practice session and a monthly local match. The only times I have seen NFC guns was myself wanting to give my snub nose revolver some trigger time. The gun is actually legal for bug competition so I guess it wouldn't be NFC except that it only holds 5 verses 6 round revolver division capacity, but according to rule 3.11 it would still be legal. I used an OWB Fobus paddle holster that would be IDPA legal.

3.11 Firearms and magazines must always be loaded to the shooter’s division capacity, unless otherwise specified by the stage description.
3.11.1 Firearms and magazines manufactured such that they cannot be loaded to the division capacity may still be used as long as they are loaded to their maximum capacity and meet all other criteria for that division. See section 8.1.2. for complete magazine loading details.

8.1.2.2 If a magazine is used that holds less than division capacity, the shooter will load all magazines to the capacity of the lowest magazine throughout the match.
8.1.2.3 The CoF description may require reduced magazine loading.
8.1.2.4 In the Revolver division the shooter must load the revolver and all loading devices with the same number of rounds throughout the match unless the above loading exceptions apply

The other times were when we had a shooter that also shoots USPSA and he wanted to test some changes to his gun at a local match. He marked his score sheet as NFC. And another time a shooter that shoots both USPSA and IDPA was testing some extended capacity mags but loaded them to div capacity. The gun with the extended mags would not have fit into the IDPA box but this was at a practice session anyways.

We also held a Bug match last month but insisted all holsters be IDPA legal.
Old July 22, 2016, 04:09 PM   #5
RickB

We had a half-dozen WWII reenactors show up to shoot, but when I saw that their full-flapped holsters carried the gun with the front strap below the top of the belt, I kicked them out.
They had mag pouches right in front of the belt, too! And they were snapped on, so you couldn't move them behind the hip bone!
I ran them right off the range.

Seriously, I was warned that the reenactors were going to show up, but they didn't.
Would anyone, from Berryville on down, want me to do anything but welcome them to IDPA?
Old July 22, 2016, 04:46 PM   #6
Jim Watson

I don't know.
Are they going to shoot at my targets and then post on the internet that my rules are stupid and my shooting is poor like some other trigger timers I can think of?