The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 15, 2012, 04:05 PM   #1
TXAZ

Revolver or Semi in a gunfight?

If you expected you were about to be in a gunfight, is there an instance you would want a revolver over a semi-auto of the same caliber?

(based on the initial responses, I'd clarify I was trying to understand why someone would want to have a <likely> lower capacity revolver instead of a semi-auto.)

So to clarify, is there a reason a revolver would be a better choice? I don't see it but then I'm not a revolver guy. Thanks.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; August 15, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old August 15, 2012, 04:10 PM   #2
sigcurious

Oh jeez, where's my popcorn when I need it.

But I'll play! Limited to those two choices, and since gunfight implies someone is shooting back at me too, I'd pick a semi-auto.
Old August 15, 2012, 04:28 PM   #3
dahermit

If I "expected I was about to be in a gunfight," I would leave the area immediately. However, if I was suddenly put in fear for my life, I would pull out the revolver I carry and double-tap the source of danger. I cannot perceive of a scenario (except home defense) where I could choose anything but my snub-nose revolver, because I never carry any of my autos.
Old August 15, 2012, 05:06 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
If you expected you were about to be in a gunfight, is there an instance you would want a revolver over a semi-auto of the same caliber?
If I expected to be in a gunfight, and I couldn't not be there, I'd take my AK.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 15, 2012, 05:21 PM   #5
shurshot

I think I would just stay home. But to answer your question, and Lee Enfield beat me to it, if I expected to be in a gunfight, an AK-47, 12 Ga pump, or my .30-30 Winchester lever action would be my first choice, over ANY handgun out there.
Old August 15, 2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Stressfire

Quote:
If I "expected I was about to be in a gunfight," I would leave the area immediately.
Yeah, no shame in that whatsoever. That wasn't sarcasm. If I expected a gunfight I'd be beating feet like my hair was on fire and hole up somewhere safe

To paraphrase some of dahermit:

If I was suddenly put in fear for my life, I would pull out the Semi I carry and double-tap the source of danger.

My GP's just too darn heavy for CC, I tried
Old August 15, 2012, 05:24 PM   #7
BigJimP

Ok, this question is like trying to herd cats...../ to start with there are probably 100 different models of revolvers - from at least a dozen different mfg's on the market ...in at least 4 very popular calibers... (.22, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44 mag ) ....and several others ...like 9mm, .41 mag, .45 acp, etc....and in barrel lengths from 2" ...to 8 3/8" commonly ....

a. both platforms shoot projectiles...
b. can you hit what you aim at with either...
c. do you shoot one platform better than the other ...
d. what platform suits you the best....

-----------------
and who knows how many hundreds of different kinds of semi-autos...in every caliber ever made for the most part....
Old August 15, 2012, 05:25 PM   #8
Stressfire

Oh, come on now! You can't edit after I already put so much work into my reply!

Each type has its purpose - personally I'd prefer more rounds than fewer, thus the semi

Quote:
this question is like trying to herd cats
Have you tried a cattle-prod?
Old August 15, 2012, 05:36 PM   #9
jmortimer

If you are good with a single action you will get your first shot off faster than the "bad guy" if all guns involved are holstered in similar fashion.
Old August 15, 2012, 05:38 PM   #10
BigJimP

If your question is really about capacity .....its no issue in my view...

I'm perfectly comfortable carrying a semi-auto with 8+1 ...or a revolver with 6 rounds for that matter..../ its for Defense...its not a gunfight at the ok corral .../ it'll probably be over in 10 sec or less ...with less than 3 rounds fired...

My primary carry gun is a Wilson Combat 1911 with 8 + 1 in .45 acp ....no issue with capacity in my view. I sure don't need anything with 19 rds to make me feel warm and fuzzy ...and a K frame S&W in .357 mag ( like a model 19 or 66 with 6 rds would be fine too ).

Even with 2 assailants ....in the one in a gazzillion chance I'll need a gun / it'll still be over in under 10sec ...and maybe 6 rds fired..( by me hopefully ) inside of 21 feet for sure...../ carry an extra mag if you think you need it .../ or a few extra revolver rounds on a speed strip or even loose...I'm slow at reloading a revolver...but fire 6 ...reload in 5 sec..and fire 6 ...pretty easily under 13- 15 sec...with tactical accuracy.

Last edited by BigJimP; August 15, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old August 15, 2012, 05:52 PM   #11
carprivershooter

it's been said

What do you shot best. I carry a 45 ACP sometimes and a S&W model Model 60 other times I feel I shot these 2 weapons very well. If I knew there was going to be a gun fight I also would avoid the area. I don't look for a fight, but if the fight comes to me that is a horse of a different color. I am not a police officer nor am I a soldier any longer.
Old August 15, 2012, 05:56 PM   #12
ATW525

Quote:
is there an instance you would want a revolver over a semi-auto of the same caliber?
I remember some years ago seeing a video on one of those World's Wildest types shows. It was security camera footage of the entrance of building were an attempted armed robbery was caught on tape. A group of people where inside the entrance when a guy enters and then goes down a flight of stairs, he reappears a short time later with a gun in his hand and tries to rob the people in the entrance way. The intended victims decide to fight back and attempt to tackle the bad guy, but he has a revolver. Despite multiple people grappling with him and trying to take him down, he is able to keep pulling the trigger and eventually shoots his way out of the building.

I don't believe a semi-auto would have been able to continue to cycle properly in the same situation.
Old August 15, 2012, 06:27 PM   #13
Deaf Smith

And the gunfight will have what? 1, 2, 3, or more attackers? Will it be a ninja attack? Zombies?

Ok presuming it will be run of the mill (if there is such a thing) 2 attackers I'd take.... whatever I was packing.

See it's not the gun that matters but the shooter.

People like Charles Askins, Jim Cirillo, Jelly Bryce, Frank Hammer, etc... most of them had revolvers (Frank later went to the .38 Super cause of Bonnie and Clyde.)

All did well cause they could shoot well under pressure.

So while I pack a Glock most of the time, a good wheelgun is still fine with me.

Just shoot fast and strait.

Deaf
Old August 15, 2012, 06:46 PM   #14
drail

Staight.
Old August 15, 2012, 06:52 PM   #15
Kreyzhorse

Since I know that I'm going to get in a gun fight, I guess I'd also know the number of assailants. Since I can't avoid the fight, that means the assailant(s) are likely closer than 7 yards. At that distance, give me a 12 ga loaded with buckshot as I need to disable the attacker(s) as fast as possible.

To your question, I'm not worried about capacity. I'm worried about accuracy and reliability. With that, my Springfield TRP 1911 is the gun that I shoot the best and has been 100% reliable. My second choice would be my S&W 686 revolver as my second best shooter.
Old August 15, 2012, 07:44 PM   #16
TXAZ

MIA CULPA!

So I get a -1 for not properly framing the question, mia culpa.
Is there any distinct advantage of a revolver in an engagement?

Old August 15, 2012, 07:53 PM   #17
JC57

Define "gunfight." Where am I? What's the other guy carrying? How many others are there? Will anyone I'm up against have a rifle? We talking high noon or dark of night? How far away from me will the attacker(s) be before I see them? Am I allowed to have the first shot? You didn't say anything about this being a fair gunfight, or one that I was necessarily the good guy.

How do I happen to know about this anyway?

You answer all of those questions and I'll be able to tell you whether or nor a scoped 12" 454 Casull will be better than a .454 Casull automatic - do they make one of those?
Old August 15, 2012, 08:34 PM   #18
Nanuk

I'll play, Glock 31 C with 23 rounds of 125 Grn Gold dot at 1450 FPS and 3 22 round reloads.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old August 15, 2012, 08:46 PM   #19
9mm

Semi, my revolver is close 5 yards imo max for me, I suck with aimming it at 7yards. I will shoot 5 shots and they will all be different on the target. The Glock will hit 7yards-15 shots all in a baseball group. Move out to 14/15 yards and I can still hit it good.
Old August 15, 2012, 08:46 PM   #20
45_auto

Quote:
Is there any distinct advantage of a revolver in an engagement?
When your attacker is in your face and your first round is a dud, is it faster (or even possible) to do a tap-rack-bang on a semi to try to get it running or to just pull the trigger again on a revolver for a fresh round?
Old August 15, 2012, 08:47 PM   #21
9mm

Quote:
When your attacker is in your face and your first round is a dud, is it faster (or even possible) to do a tap-rack-bang on a semi to try to get it running or to just pull the trigger again on a revolver?
Reach for the pocket and pull my revolver, [close range]

You still have to eject the round[can be a pain and get jammed in the magazine area when ejecting.] Then chamber the next. It's faster for me to draw my revolver.
Old August 15, 2012, 09:28 PM   #22
Webleymkv

It depends on what I knew about the gunfight beforehand. If I knew that I would be facing several small-to-medium sized individuals, I'd prefer my CZ-75 9mm loaded with 18 rounds (17 in the mag and 1 in the chamber) of Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+ and at leas one spare mag full of the same. If, however, I knew that I'd be facing a few large-to-very large individuals, particularly at short range, I'd want my S&W 629 .44 Magnum loaded with Remington 240gr SJHP and at least one speed loader full of the same. If all I knew was that I would be in an unavoidable gunfight and I'd be limited to a handgun, I'd choose my S&W Model 28 .357 Magnum loaded with Remington 158gr SJHP and at least one speed loader full of the same because I can shoot that combination of gun and ammunition better than any other I've ever tried.

Of course, if I were not limited to handguns (and if I had prior knowledge of an impending gunfight I'd do my best not to be), I'd want either my 922r-converted Saiga .223 loaded with 30 rounds of 55gr FMJ and at least one spare mag full of the same or my Remington 870 Express 12ga loaded with 3" #1 Buckshot and the butt cuff full of Brenneke Black Magic Magnum rifled slugs depending on the circumstances.

Of course, like others here, if I knew there was an impending gunfight, I'd be doing everything in my power to be as far away from said gunfight as humanly possible.

Quote:
So to clarify, is there a reason a revolver would be a better choice? I don't see it but then I'm not a revolver guy.
While the best type of gun depends upon the situation, revolvers do have some distinct advantages that make them better suited to certain circumstances.

-Revolvers require nothing more than another pull of the trigger to deal with a misfire as doing so rotates a fresh cartridge into play.

-Revolvers are also immune to grip-induced malfunctions so long as the shooter has enough strength to hold the gun and pull the trigger.

-Revolvers can be fired multiple times at contact distance without the possibility of being shoved out of battery.

-A revolver with a shrouded or fully enclosed hammer can be fired from under or inside a cover garment or handbag should the need arise.

-Revolvers are much more tolerant of wide variances in ammunition such as bullet shape and power level thus giving the user more room to tailor his/her choice of ammunition to that which best suits his/her needs.

-Revolvers do not cause bullet setback from repeated loading and unloading as semi-autos can sometimes do.

-Revolvers have a very simple manual of arms which makes them easy to use for people who are not particularly well acclimated to handguns.

-Revolvers can be left loaded for long periods of time (several years) without worry about compression and wear of springs.

-Revolvers require nothing more than the gun itself and loose cartridges in order to made ready to fire (no worries about damaged or lost magazines).

-The grip of a revolver is not limited by the size and shape of the magazine so aftermarket grips can be made in a wider variety of sizes and shapes to better fit a wider variety of shooters' hands.

-Revolvers can chamber more powerful cartridges than semi-autos without being made so large and heavy that they become too burdensome to carry.

Last edited by Webleymkv; August 16, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old August 15, 2012, 11:29 PM   #23
TXAZ

Webleymkv Scores!

Great answers, right on target.
Thanks.

Old August 15, 2012, 11:37 PM   #24
MLeake

Did Cirillo have "revolver" or "revolvers?" Seems to me he'd have had more than one.

Seems to me he also preferred to have an M1 carbine handy.

And he had partners.

Just something to bear in mind, if one wants to talk gunfights.
Old August 16, 2012, 12:19 AM   #25
TennJed

I am most accurate with a 6" barrel revolver. Give me a 7rd S&W 357 over a semi in a gun fight anyday