The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 21, 2024, 11:24 AM   #1
TheG-man1999

JC Higgins 103-13 .22 stock

I am new to this forum, apologies if I don't do everything correctly*

I inherited a JC Higgins model 103 13 .22 tube fed bolt action rifle. I got it cleaned and well oiled now, but the stock is damaged in some structural places and is old and beat up, so I would love to replace it. I have been around guns growing up, but this is a little out of my expertise.

I have been googling and from what I can tell this is an older model of a marlin model 81 .22. How do I go about finding a compatible stock for this rifle or can I just repurpose a marlin 81 stock if I can find one? Do they make "80%" wooden stocks for rifles that I can adjust and shave down to seat the barrel and fire control group properly?

Also I would love to mount a scope on this but I am unsure how to figure out if that's possible or how to go about doing that?

Thank you in advance for your time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4992.jpg (1,000.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4994.jpg (966.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4995.jpg (1,005.0 KB, 36 views)
Old January 22, 2024, 07:25 AM   #2
taylorce1

Looks like a fairly clean rifle, can the stock not be repaired? Where exactly is the damage at to the stock?

I'm going to say you'll probably need to buy a different rifle if you want to add optics since the reciever isn't grooved or drilled and tapped on the front reciever ring.
Old January 22, 2024, 10:12 PM   #3
Lurch37

Most of the JC Higgins firearms were made by a major gun maker such as Winchester, High Standard or Marlin so using a Model 81 stock should work. Your stock doesn't look bad on the outside, maybe you could repair it?

Ebay, Gunbroker, Numrich might have a trigger guard and you could possibly find a stock if you really needed one. A gunsmith should be able to drill and tap holes holes for scope rings.
Old January 22, 2024, 11:39 PM   #4
stagpanther

Quote:
but the stock is damaged in some structural places
You mean like in the inlet cutout where the action screws to the stock is cracked/damaged so the action might not seat properly? I've seen that on older wood stocks that might not have been maintained, action screws over-torqued or simply dry-rotted/warped. The stock does look fairly nice from the outside.