The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 13, 2024, 07:52 AM   #1
captainprice

Mannlicher M95/30 Bolt Movement/Slack when firing

Hey all,

New to the forum and have an issue which doesn't seem to have been discussed yet. I recently acquired a new-to-me M95/30 in 8x56R that has a (hopefully) minor issue. When a round is fired, the bolt moves rearward about 1/8 inch. I have fully disassembled the bolt and cleaned all cosmoline from it as well as the inside of the receiver/chamber. Having a difficult time determining whether the locking lugs begin to disengage at this point (which would render the rifle dangerous to fire) or if it is simply caused by a worn extractor tail, reworked electropenciled matched bolt, etc...

Any help is truly appreciated and please see pics below!

- captainprice
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5143 Large.jpeg (328.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5144 Large.jpeg (354.8 KB, 41 views)
Old January 13, 2024, 07:15 PM   #2
jetinteriorguy

Whoa, I’m no expert but I can’t imagine there’s any good reason in the world for that to be happening.
Old January 14, 2024, 12:58 PM   #3
tangolima

It is probably ok. Similar to AR action, the cam pin moves back that much before engaging the curved part of the groove in the bolt body to turn the bolt head. The movement is most likely result of inertia after recoil.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old January 14, 2024, 01:04 PM   #4
Ricklin

Do not fire another round!

Am not an expert. That sounds bad. It sounds to me that you have a mismatch between rifle and bolt. Get yourself to a gunsmith. Remember what is but a few inches behind that bolt movement of 1/8", your flippin noggin!
The rifle may not be worth the cost of a gunsmith inspection. Might be a ticket to the local gun buy back, at least that assures it's destruction.
Were it mine? If indeed that is occuring, I'll permanently disable the rifle to make a military wall hanger of it. Welding up the bolt face will do it.
Old January 14, 2024, 03:03 PM   #5
Surefee

It’s fine but

I think it should be fine to shoot but have you tried shooting another gun? Like an AR7 or an FPC? Those are nice too.
Old January 14, 2024, 07:18 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

I am not very familiar with that specific rifle, but even a straight pull bolt action should have NOTHING MOVE, UNTIL YOU MOVE IT.

The bolt (or any part of it) moving after firing tells me something is NOT RIGHT.

Worst case, the bolt lets go completely and "fires" itself into your face. Not something I would risk.

Since the 8x56R is rimmed, and headspaces on the rim, a simple headspace check may not show anything else wrong with the rifle.

I suggest you compare the case body of a fired round and an unfired one. A few thousandths difference would be normal. IF you can see a large difference anything like the 1/8" you bolt is moving, you have a serious issue and I would recommend NOT shooting the rifle, and getting it checked by someone who knows and understands the mechanism.

In other words, find an actual (and good) gunsmith and have it checked. The guy who only builds ARs and does parts swapping isn't the right guy to check your rifle.

Good Luck!
Old January 15, 2024, 07:53 AM   #7
captainprice

Thank you all for your input. While I'd really love to be able to shoot the rifle, I would have to agree that it doesn't seem to be functioning correctly and poses a potential danger to the shooter.

Bolt appears to have the standard matching electropencilled number that was paired to the rifle during arsenal refurbishment/conversion from 8x50. Casings seem to be dimensionally identical (at least to the naked eye) as well, however I'll probably refrain from firing as getting a bolt to the face would likely not be an enjoyable experience - however small the probability of it actually occurring.

If I find out any more information, I'll certainly post - hopefully can assist someone else if their rifle is having a similar issue. This forum has really helped me out in the past and glad to now be able to offer my own experiences.

- captainprice
Old January 15, 2024, 02:44 PM   #8
tangolima

Sending you PM.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk