The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 10, 2024, 05:58 PM   #26
USAF Ret

R95 range test today with 2 kinds of factory ammunition. Extremely impressed. Smoothest action I have ever seen on a 30-30 and the trigger is not bad. A little takeup and a crisp break. Optic was a 2-7x33 Leupold VX-Freedom.

PPU 150_Upload.jpg
PPU 150 Soft Point

Winchester Power Point 150_Upload.jpg
Winchester 150 Power Point
Old March 11, 2024, 04:47 AM   #27
jetinteriorguy

What distance were you shooting at?
Old March 11, 2024, 08:56 AM   #28
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
What distance were you shooting at?
100 yards
Old March 11, 2024, 10:38 AM   #29
stagpanther

excellent! 1.5 MOA @ 100 is pretty dern good for any 30-30
Old March 11, 2024, 01:21 PM   #30
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther
I second that.
Old March 11, 2024, 02:20 PM   #31
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I thought maybe 1 MOA until I measured it. Had to double check.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PPU 150_MOA.jpg (206.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Winchester Power Point 150 MOA.jpg (215.1 KB, 103 views)
Old March 11, 2024, 02:27 PM   #32
USAF Ret

Not exactly impressed with the velocity as compared to what was listed, though. Especially the PPU.

PPU Listed - 2378

PPU

Winchester Listed - 2390

Winchester
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PPU 150 Garmin.jpg (190.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Winchester Power Point Garmin.jpg (195.6 KB, 100 views)
Old March 11, 2024, 02:59 PM   #33
stagpanther

I knew your group size was well under that--that's why I said "excellent" because 1.5 MOA at 100 is considered very good for most 30-30's.

Would I sacrifice 100 fps for that kind of accuracy with factory ammo? Are you kidding me? I wouldn't even pause to think about it.

You might also be getting some friction in the new bore/rifling that might smooth off.

I would be pretty darn happy myself and wouldn't complain lest the rifle hear about it and start throwing shots all over the place.
Old March 11, 2024, 03:19 PM   #34
44caliberkid

Excellent range report. I’m so glad it turned out well. Referencing my OP, I just gave one a quick once over at the show, but was impressed with it. This particular dealer had the full line of new Rossi products and his prices were very good.
Old March 11, 2024, 06:22 PM   #35
USAF Ret

Quote:
I knew your group size was well under that--that's why I said "excellent" because 1.5 MOA at 100 is considered very good for most 30-30's.

Would I sacrifice 100 fps for that kind of accuracy with factory ammo? Are you kidding me? I wouldn't even pause to think about it.

You might also be getting some friction in the new bore/rifling that might smooth off.

I would be pretty darn happy myself and wouldn't complain lest the rifle hear about it and start throwing shots all over the place.
Haha! No sir. I am only going to whisper sweet nothings to her.

Now that I know she is a shooter, I can work on that speed with load development. I did shoot some Leverevolution, but she did not like that ammunition as much. Although, groups were still decent for 150 yard shots on deer.
Old March 11, 2024, 06:26 PM   #36
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid View Post
Excellent range report. I’m so glad it turned out well. Referencing my OP, I just gave one a quick once over at the show, but was impressed with it. This particular dealer had the full line of new Rossi products and his prices were very good.
With the results and the price point, it is a winner.
Old March 12, 2024, 04:56 AM   #37
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
100 yards
That’s pretty impressive. Definitely a keeper.
Old March 12, 2024, 07:25 AM   #38
Miami_JBT

Quote:
I'd just like to hear from someone who has owned both the older Braztech/Puma 92's and the latest rossi 92's and say "heck yah, they got their poop together and they are much better made now." If it's the same thing--nope.
My Rossi is recent production and was import marked with Taurus' Bainbridge, GA location as the location of the importation. I got it about two years ago. The quality is superb and the stock fitment is better than my JM stamped Marlin 1894CSS. The action is slick and smooth, no malfunctions with feeding, and it has been reliable.
Old March 12, 2024, 08:29 AM   #39
stagpanther

I'll be taking a look at one next chance I get.
Old March 12, 2024, 10:29 AM   #40
stagpanther

Did a bit of research--the new Rossis are really made at the new Taurus manufacturing facility in GA--along with what looks like new production 357 magnum revolvers--I'll DEFINITELY be taking a look at those. I had one many years ago (sold it for a song) and always regretted selling it.
Old March 12, 2024, 11:09 AM   #41
USAF Ret

Quote:
Did a bit of research--the new Rossis are really made at the new Taurus manufacturing facility in GA--along with what looks like new production 357 magnum revolvers--I'll DEFINITELY be taking a look at those. I had one many years ago (sold it for a song) and always regretted selling it.
I am looking at the 357s as well. Let me know if you get your hands on one and what you think.
Old March 12, 2024, 01:11 PM   #42
stagpanther

Quote:
I am looking at the 357s as well. Let me know if you get your hands on one and what you think.
See what I can do.
Old March 12, 2024, 02:43 PM   #43
ThomasT

WOW! What great shooting! You may have just pushed me over the edge on getting one of these guns. Only once has my Marlin shot groups close to that and that was with some Winchester Silvertip 170gr bullets. Most of the time its 1.5 to 2" or so with either factory loads or my handloads.

I think your velocity is right in line with the speeds most other 20" barreled guns get. The posted speeds on the box were most likely from 24" test barrels made to tighter specs than a production barrel. At 2200fps there ain't nothing in the woods going to out run it. And good choice on the 2x7 scope. Those are my first choice for lever action guns. And most other guns too.
Old March 12, 2024, 04:53 PM   #44
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasT View Post
WOW! What great shooting! You may have just pushed me over the edge on getting one of these guns. Only once has my Marlin shot groups close to that and that was with some Winchester Silvertip 170gr bullets. Most of the time its 1.5 to 2" or so with either factory loads or my handloads.

I think your velocity is right in line with the speeds most other 20" barreled guns get. The posted speeds on the box were most likely from 24" test barrels made to tighter specs than a production barrel. At 2200fps there ain't nothing in the woods going to out run it. And good choice on the 2x7 scope. Those are my first choice for lever action guns. And most other guns too.
Good point on barrel length. I am prepping brass right now to see what I can get with some handloads, but I have a couple of factory loads I can fall back on.

I had a Marlin 336 a while back, and it never shot groups like this either. I was blown away.
Old March 13, 2024, 04:49 PM   #45
ThomasT

"It is a distinctly light wood and does not have characteristics like a hardwood like walnut IMO. I hate the stuff cause it compresses easily".

You know you can buy after market wood for the gun if you like it otherwise? Thats what I would do. I had a Rossi 92 way before they decided to add the safety and no complaints all with the wood.
Old April 16, 2024, 12:07 PM   #46
ThomasT

USAF Ret I just ordered a Rossi R95 because I liked your groups so much. I ordered my gun from Buds. Buds had them marked for just a little over $660 and I had a $10 off coupon. So I bought the gun. It should be here in a couple of weeks since I paid by check to save the CC fees.

I just got a Vortex 2-7x32 scope a couple of days ago and that scope will go on the gun. I hope my gun shoots as well as yours and also shoots the lead bullet loads I have made up but haven't tried yet.
Old April 16, 2024, 06:18 PM   #47
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasT View Post
USAF Ret I just ordered a Rossi R95 because I liked your groups so much. I ordered my gun from Buds. Buds had them marked for just a little over $660 and I had a $10 off coupon. So I bought the gun. It should be here in a couple of weeks since I paid by check to save the CC fees.

I just got a Vortex 2-7x32 scope a couple of days ago and that scope will go on the gun. I hope my gun shoots as well as yours and also shoots the lead bullet loads I have made up but haven't tried yet.
Cool! Let me know how it shoots.

I was debating on the Vortex scope as well. I actually ordered one and then they got the Leupold in stock and I cancelled and ordered the Leupold.
Old April 17, 2024, 10:53 AM   #48
taylorce1

I just purchased an Argos BTR Gen2
1-8x24
. I'm going to try it on a M788 .30-30 first but ultimately I think it'll wind up on my RAR .300 Blk rifle. I feel like the reticle should work well with both cartridges. It may not be a style that most would like on a lever action, but I used a 2 MOA RDS on my .35 Rem Marlin 336. I thought it would work well for hunting hogs, but I wound up selling the rifle as I realized how expensive hunting hogs would be if I had to rely on guide services for access.
Old April 17, 2024, 11:07 AM   #49
stagpanther

Quote:
I just purchased an Argos BTR Gen2
1-8x24. I'm going to try it on a M788 .30-30 first but ultimately I think it'll wind up on my RAR .300 Blk rifle. I feel like the reticle should work well with both cartridges. It may not be a style that most would like on a lever action, but I used a 2 MOA RDS on my .35 Rem Marlin 336. I thought it would work well for hunting hogs, but I wound up selling the rifle as I realized how expensive hunting hogs would be if I had to rely on guide services for access.
When people complain about violating tradition by putting a scope on a lever gun, I respond "Yeah? well, I don't see you out at the firing line wearing a loin cloth, a bone through the nose and hurling a spear!"
Old April 17, 2024, 11:48 AM   #50
taylorce1

I was more along the lines, the scope is a little too Gecko45 for those of us old enough to remember that name. I'm finding at first and last light inside a dark blind an illuminated reticle is helpful.