The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 21, 2024, 11:43 PM   #26
chris in va

As a person that used to own an AR, I much prefer my bolt 223 CZ. It forces you to actually aim and hit your target, and if you reload it's fun to experiment with different bullet weights. I can pick off a golf ball at 300 yards if I do my part.
Old January 22, 2024, 12:10 AM   #27
bamaranger

I own enough AR's to qualify as a fan, but....... Judging by the rate of fire of most AR shooters at the public range near me, and the amount of AR brass left on the ground (confirmed brass hog) aiming is indeed secondary to volume of fire!

Levermatics: the one I really want is in .256 Win magnum.
Henry Long Ranger: when it hit the market, just to run counter the black rifle craze, I thought I might buy one.....till I saw the price.....YIKES!
Old January 24, 2024, 12:41 PM   #28
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid View Post
What would be nice is if Browning and Henry made a model of their rifles to use AR magazines.
Ask and ye shall receive. I was watching Shot Show videos this morning and Henry has a lever action that uses P Mags, with full floated barrel and threaded muzzle. Reporters trying it at the range loved it.
Old January 24, 2024, 01:50 PM   #29
bamaranger

more

Cruising YouTube last night and yes, lo and behold, Henry has announced a version of the Long Ranger that takes AR mags. It is an unsightly thing, but there it is.
Old January 25, 2024, 06:55 PM   #30
upstate81

A better option to the lever gun is the remington 7615 pump chambered in .223. Troy industries also makes a pump that being an AR style rifle.
Old January 26, 2024, 05:27 AM   #31
PatientWolf

Given a choice between the Henry and the Browning, I’d go with Henry 10/10 times. I had a B92 in .44 from ±1982 they no longer make and needed a part. Browning’s response was “We don’t support discontinued rifles”.
Although I’ve never needed it, Henry’s support is supposed to be second to none and I think they have excellent quality and workmanship.
Old January 26, 2024, 10:07 PM   #32
bamaranger

no support

Unfortunately, with vintage firearms "no support", is a common stumbling block. Same with accessories like optics. I've run into that with the Ruger Model 44 carbine, the old tube feed model. The Ruger 44 was produced up till 1985. I've got an Aimpoint 2000 with "no support" either, the 2000 model ran till 1989.
The mid to late 80's seem not that long ago to me, but apparently manufacturers have different calendars than I do. I read that parts are sold off to one outfit or another, and for a while "so & so" in Oshkosh has a supply, then it's anybody's guess.
Henry has parts, because their guns are all essentially of recent manufacture and still in production. Forty years from now, they may or may not have parts for say your "Homesteader", if they are in business at all.