The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 19, 2008, 04:40 PM   #1
CortJestir

Favorite loads for Rainier 9mm and .45ACP?

Hey all,

I had the opportunity to pick up some Rainier LeadSafe bullets locally. Those with experience with these, what are your favorite loads?

I've got some Bullseye, Titegroup and WST in my powder cabinet. I'm loading Rainier 9mm 124gr RN and .45ACP 230gr RN.

They'll be used for casual plinking in a range of guns and barrel lengths.

Thanks,
CJ
Old November 19, 2008, 05:27 PM   #2
cgaengineer

I am using the Rainier 115gr with 4.0gr of Bullseye and they are pretty accurate...good enough that I can tear a ragged hole. I would start at 4.0 and work your way up (For the 9mm). Just remember, 10% less powder than copper jacket bullets.

Rainier has my business.
Old November 19, 2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Steve in PA

6.5-7.0gr of HS6 for 9mm with 115gr Rainier RN.

6.0gr of Unique for .45acp with 230gr Rainier RN.
Old November 19, 2008, 06:37 PM   #4
BigJimP

TiteGroup is my powder of choice / I've shot a lot of Rainier - up to .45 acp they're pretty good ( occasionally a jacket will fly off - and you'll shoot 6 rounds and make 7 holes in a target ).... The higher the velocity, the worse it seems to get - .45 acp is fine / just don't load the 9mm's too hot and you'll be fine. I would not shoot Rainiers in a .40 S&W or 10mm ....because of the velocity and pressure.

I would not shoot .44 mag Rainier bullets either - even in the mid-range velocities / I had 4 or 5 of them out of a couple of boxes come apart as they left the chamber on a 3" barrel - and some of the schrapnel blowback hit me in the face ... it wasn't that pleasant ... / a little blood. I shot them up in an 8 3/8" barrel - but there was still a little bit of blowback that hit a guy standing off to my left and behind me runnning a timer - and I felt bad.

Personally, I've shifted all my reloads to Montana Gold - but they're more money.
Old November 19, 2008, 06:54 PM   #5
BigJimP

Rainier's own web site points out their bullets are elctroplated - and they are a lot softer than a typical jacketed bullet - and they suggest using data for "Lead bullets" vs Jacketed bullets on their bullets. So look over data for Lead Bullets - and don't get them too hot.
Old November 19, 2008, 08:56 PM   #6
CortJestir

Thanks everyone, esp. to BigJim for the data points - glad no one was seriously injured there.

Sounds like the consensus is to not max out these bullets - I never intended to anyway as I'm just getting starting out. I see it's also advised not to overcrimp as these bullets are softer than FMJs.

I imagine accuracy will be plenty good for how I shoot . And I like the "lead safe" aspect as I do shoot at an indoor range quite a bit (especially during the winter months). Price isn't too bad either, all things considered. Midwayusa.com has a sale on boxes of 1000, but I think shipping pretty much negates the discount. Saw a chance to pick 'em up locally so I did.