The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 9, 2021, 10:46 AM   #1
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Follow Along for my First AR Build

Well gang, I've done did it and have all my parts (I think) either in hand or on order.
When things start getting more interesting (like I can put stuff together) I'll post some pics.
I did a lot of digging and in some cases I paid more than I could have because I wanted a specific part while in others I paid more than I should have because...well, it's all there is available.

Here is my parts break-down and price list.
I'm interested in hearing feedback (not the "you're an idiot for over paying" kind). Also, if I'm missing something or you think I bought something that is incompatible, please let me know.

It's going to be 6mm ARC, btw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR_Prices.JPG (88.9 KB, 657 views)
Old April 9, 2021, 12:39 PM   #2
rickyrick

You’re way to organized lol, just kidding.
Can’t wait to see how it turns out.
Old April 9, 2021, 02:40 PM   #3
ghbucky

I see a scope mount, but no optics. I'm guessing you have it on hand?
Old April 9, 2021, 03:16 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbucky
I see a scope mount, but no optics. I'm guessing you have it on hand?
Yes indeed. It's going to be wearing a Sig Sierra3 BDX 4.5-14x
Old April 11, 2021, 09:48 AM   #5
Metal god

Generally speaking looking real good .

I don’t see buffer tube , spring or buffer ? Lower parts kits don’t include those , lower “build” kits do . Maybe included with the stock but was not listed as such .

With that quality of barrel/build you may want to lap your upper receiver to square everything up .

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod20220.aspx

Looks like you have a collapsible stock ?

I see this Hogue fixed stock but it ends in 41 not 45
https://www.opticsplanet.com/hogue-a...buttstock.html

If not the one above or fixed . I would have went with a fixed stock with that type of build . Point being that barrel is going to be heavy , no need saving weight now and just put on a nice fixed stock for better stability .
https://magpul.com/firearm-accessori...obal_color=118

https://www.primaryarms.com/hera-arm...stock-od-green

or even fully adjustable

https://www.opticsplanet.com/magpul-...-10-stock.html

Tube , spring and buffer for fixed stocks above
https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/AR1...80-000-554.htm

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; April 11, 2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old April 11, 2021, 11:17 AM   #6
Nathan

Looks good. Interested. It is kind of a 6mmPPC improved! Have you considered a fixed stock for that cartridge/barrel length? I’m not you, but i prefer fixed when accuracy is top concern.

Last edited by Nathan; April 11, 2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old April 11, 2021, 11:56 AM   #7
101combatvet

Why bother with stainless and a fluted barrel? Put that money into good optics.
Old April 11, 2021, 12:20 PM   #8
Ed4032

Should take about an hour and a half to put together.
Old April 11, 2021, 01:54 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god
I don’t see buffer tube , spring or buffer ?
All part of the package. I assume there a good chance I may try multiple stocks before I find the one that I really like but this one should be reasonably functional for starters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet
Why bother with stainless and a fluted barrel? Put that money into good optics.
One, because I wanted that look and, two, the optics (which I already had) aren't exactly garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
Have you considered a fixed stock for that cartridge/barrel length?
I mostly considered that this stock more or less seemed decent and the price was OK (for what prices are these days) but it had no occurred to me that fixed or not stock would be an accuracy consideration.
Honestly, I have never had any interest in the AR platform and wouldn't be building one now if things weren't so ominous for future availability. So, I'm lacking a good bit of that detailed knowledge that would have come from paying attention all these years.
I guess that's one major advantage of the platform, right? If I don't like this stock it's $40 and 30 seconds to change it.
Old April 11, 2021, 02:54 PM   #10
101combatvet

Yeah, okay. Like having spinner rims on your Mustang, LOL!
Old April 11, 2021, 03:11 PM   #11
Metal god

Quote:
All part of the package. I assume there a good chance I may try multiple stocks before I find the one that I really like but this one should be reasonably functional for starters.
Yep

I don't know the actual % but my guess would be 90% of fixed stocks require an A2 buffer tube , rifle buffer and spring . Meaning if you go to a fixed stock it's not just a simple change the stock thing . You'll need to switch out the whole stock and assembly parts . Still not a big deal just a FYI .

Compare these to each other . everything is different .
https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/AR1...80-000-554.htm

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/And...30-a000-0p.htm

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 11, 2021, 03:15 PM   #12
rickyrick

Can’t please everyone with a stainless barrel.
I ended up with A2 stocks on two rifles that originally had collapsible stocks. It’s just a personal preference for me.
Old April 11, 2021, 04:20 PM   #13
stagpanther

I've put several AR's together similarly configured. You'll be happy--ignore the Debbie downers.
Old April 11, 2021, 05:13 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick
The good news is the only one I'm trying to please is me
I like stainless and I like flutes. Don't carry about function (or lack thereof) in either case, I just like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal God
my guess would be 90% of fixed stocks require an A2 buffer tube , rifle buffer and spring
Good to know, thanks for the info.
The other consideration for me is that I usually find the LOP on rifles (~13.5") to be short for my liking. I guess I have monkey arms or something.
We'll see how it feels and shoots and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther
I've put several AR's together similarly configured. You'll be happy--ignore the Debbie downers.
No worries, brother, I've been around a while, I know how it goes with opinions.

Anybody have any experience with McGowan barrels on an AR? I've got one on my customized Savage 11 but I've never had the time to really even develop loads for it so can't say for sure how it shoots.... I mean, it's only been 7 years since I got it. Give me some time.

I'll have everything except the barrel by next Thursday... funny story, the Colorado "insta-check" background check system is currently taking 5+ days to "instantly" process background checks.
Old April 11, 2021, 05:26 PM   #15
Metal god

Quote:
I like stainless and I like flutes. Don't carry about function (or lack thereof) in either case, I just like it.
I LOVE !!! stainless steel , there's days at the range there is nothing but stainless on the bench and rack . I'm likely going on half my firearms are stainless in some way or another . Flutes are cool too , Once you have enough firearms to get done what you need IMO it's all about the cool factor for the rest lol

Old April 11, 2021, 07:12 PM   #16
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
I ended up with A2 stocks on two rifles that originally had collapsible stocks. It’s just a personal preference for me.
I have a stainless Hart on an M1A; it doesn't shoot any better than chrome moly. Fluting is just unnecessary, but hey, whatever makes you happy.
Old April 11, 2021, 08:08 PM   #17
Nathan

Is it fair to assume all of these parts are in hand or.....?

I ask only because of the stock thing and I wonder if there is a way to get a more mainstream barrel like a Shilen or other.

Someone like CLE is getting the best blanks and has the experience to do what you need for truely peak accuracy.
Old April 11, 2021, 08:35 PM   #18
rickyrick

Quote:
I have a stainless Hart on an M1A; it doesn't shoot any better than chrome moly. Fluting is just unnecessary, but hey, whatever makes you happy.
I have an 89$ unlined chrome-moly barrel with the M4 cutout that shoots better than all my others. Maybe he likes ss fluted barrels.
I have a 24” spiral fluted ss barrel that has been black phosphated... most of this is unnecessary.
It’s an AR... the Potato Head(tm) of rifles, you can stick whatever you want on it and change it out a few minutes later.
Old April 12, 2021, 12:10 AM   #19
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
I have an 89$ unlined chrome-moly barrel with the M4 cutout that shoots better than all my others. Maybe he likes ss fluted barrels.
I have a 24” spiral fluted ss barrel that has been black phosphated... most of this is unnecessary.
It’s an AR... the Potato Head(tm) of rifles, you can stick whatever you want on it and change it out a few minutes later.
I'm just happy to shoot without all the cosmetic bells and whistles.
Old April 12, 2021, 11:15 AM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
Is it fair to assume all of these parts are in hand or.....?

I ask only because of the stock thing and I wonder if there is a way to get a more mainstream barrel like a Shilen or other.

Someone like CLE is getting the best blanks and has the experience to do what you need for truely peak accuracy.
Almost all parts are in my hands except the BCG (in route), the lower (waiting the 5 days on CO "instant" BG check) and the barrel (10 weeks from 2 weeks ago).

McGowen is pretty well known and it seems almost universally appreciated as a quality product (and my .243AI from them shoots great in very, very limited use) so that's why I went with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet
I'm just happy to shoot without all the cosmetic bells and whistles.
That's totally cool and I take no offense. To each his own.
I like my bling, especially on a gun that actually serves no purpose whatsoever besides looking pretty and making noise.

You'll want to look away when the pictures start... not only is it stainless and fluted... the flutes are helical.
Old April 12, 2021, 12:19 PM   #21
stagpanther

Quote:
Anybody have any experience with McGowan barrels on an AR? I've got one on my customized Savage 11 but I've never had the time to really even develop loads for it so can't say for sure how it shoots.... I mean, it's only been 7 years since I got it. Give me some time.
Yes--my AR barrels from them have been excellent in general, and I think they are about to offer cut rifling and hand-lapping as an option. For a large-production manufacturer one of the higher quality ones IMO, just a very small smidgen under Criterion in my non-objective personal biased opinion. McGowen used to be willing to "go out on a limb" and cut my barrels to my own specs and cartridges not listed--they may still do that, I don't know. One of my pride and joys is a 284 win AR 10 I built using a barrel they made for me.

Last edited by stagpanther; April 12, 2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old April 12, 2021, 03:53 PM   #22
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger View Post
Almost all parts are in my hands except the BCG (in route), the lower (waiting the 5 days on CO "instant" BG check) and the barrel (10 weeks from 2 weeks ago).

McGowen is pretty well known and it seems almost universally appreciated as a quality product (and my .243AI from them shoots great in very, very limited use) so that's why I went with them.

That's totally cool and I take no offense. To each his own.
I like my bling, especially on a gun that actually serves no purpose whatsoever besides looking pretty and making noise.

You'll want to look away when the pictures start... not only is it stainless and fluted... the flutes are helical.
All of mine serve a purpose. I sleep with an M4 loaded with ball and tracer ammunition.
Old April 12, 2021, 07:15 PM   #23
stagpanther

Quote:
All of mine serve a purpose. I sleep with an M4 loaded with ball and tracer ammunition.
So what do you go to bed with?
Old April 12, 2021, 07:32 PM   #24
stagpanther

By sheer coincidence I'm putting together a 6mm ARC myself, I've built enough of AR's I find if I spend the day scrounging my endless piles of boxes and drawers I usually find all the parts I need to put one together--though no points for color coordination or looks generally. Have you found a source for brass? I built a 6mm predator years ago based on a barrel I bought from ARP--dollars to donuts the ARC is almost the same thing with the shoulder pushed back a bit to allow seating of longer high SD bullets and free up maybe a couple grains of powder space. I already have a Redding type S Grendel bushing die that can convert Grendel brass to the 6mm predator, so I'm guessing it should be an easy size in the ARC die.
Old April 13, 2021, 01:22 AM   #25
Geezerbiker

Were you able to get all the parts? I've been looking around for the next part for my build and I can't find a BCG for under 250 bucks that's still in stock.

Tony