The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 29, 2023, 12:23 PM   #1
Metric

beretta 1934 surplus imports

Rguns is listing these for $275, on GB and on their own site.

Condition looks good, except they had to get creative to import them. They have a slightly shorter than stock factory barrel. Best guess is they welded a tube to the muzzle for import, then sawed it off and re-crowned in the states.

I couldn't resist -- placed an order. Not looking for a museum piece -- at least not yet. Thinking it's the cheapest way to try out a steel-frame classic.

Anyone else?

Old December 29, 2023, 04:11 PM   #2
jar

I have a 1935 already and prefer the 7.65 over the .380 but that is tempting.
Old December 29, 2023, 05:12 PM   #3
FITASC

My FIL brought one back from WWII..............slide BITE does not begin to describe how it shoots.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 29, 2023, 06:00 PM   #4
Metric

I will be interested to try it out. Some reviews are entirely positive, but I saw another describing it as "like shooting a crowbar."

Guessing that it has a major case of "blowback .380."

I discovered that my Beretta 84 and 85 in 380 could be civilized by shooting the Sinterfire 75gr copper load. Makes it nearly indistinguishable from shooting 32, while retaining equal or slightly greater kinetic energy compared to standard loads. I'll see if the 1934 likes it as well.
Old December 30, 2023, 09:32 AM   #5
zeke

Found one cheap at gunshow years ago and couldn't resist. All steel, heavy/solid, accurate (if you can use the heavy trigger) and mags tough to find (if memory serves). While it is a blowback, it has weight to help offset the recoil. And Blowbacks can be very accurate.

Imo, $275 is good deal for functioning firearm. If memory serves, this wouldn't be the first time they were offered with cut back barrels.
Old December 31, 2023, 12:50 AM   #6
Nodak1858

What's the reason they had to mod the barrels in the first place?
Old December 31, 2023, 10:06 AM   #7
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak1858 View Post
What's the reason they had to mod the barrels in the first place?
It has to pass the handgun scoring test to be eligible to import.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg handgun-scoring.jpg (215.9 KB, 746 views)
Old December 31, 2023, 11:28 AM   #8
Nodak1858

aww got it.
May have to look into to one of those, look like a neat little pistol.
Old January 1, 2024, 03:16 PM   #9
Webleymkv

If you wanted to restore it back to it's original configuration, barrels are available for about $72 and, unlike some other blowback pistols, are quite easy to remove and replace.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/596690

That being said, if the slightly shortened barrel doesn't bother you than it really shouldn't affect the accuracy or function of the gun, and from the pictures on their gunbroker listings it looks like the job was done well.
Old January 1, 2024, 03:45 PM   #10
FITASC

I'm lost on the barrel bit; how does making the barrel shorter than normal help for importation?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 1, 2024, 04:41 PM   #11
Webleymkv

Quote:
Originally posted by FITASC
I'm lost on the barrel bit; how does making the barrel shorter than normal help for importation?
They probably had to actually extend the barrels for importation (I've seen this done before by permanently attaching a faux suppressor to Beretta 71's) and then, once imported, simply cut the barrel off and re-crowned it behind where the extension had been added.
Old January 1, 2024, 04:48 PM   #12
FITASC

Barrel on mine is under 4", about 3-3/8 and dated 1942
Old January 1, 2024, 04:55 PM   #13
Webleymkv

Quote:
Originally posted by FITASC
Barrel on mine is under 4", about 3-3/8 and dated 1942
The original barrel was too short to be imported as-is (yours was probably a WWII bring back or imported prior to the 1968 GCA). What likely happened was that these pistols had some sort of compensator, muzzle brake, or faux suppressor "permanently" attached to their barrels (permanently per ATF's definition meaning not easily removed by the end-purchaser, think and pinned and welded flash hider on a 14.5" AR-15 barrel), imported as such, and then had the bit of barrel where the "extension" was added cut off after importation to make them more attractive when sold.
Old January 2, 2024, 10:01 AM   #14
Jim Watson

Right, a previous wave of M70s had imitation silencers or at least an add on muzzle attachment to give a useful "barrel length".
Old January 2, 2024, 10:18 AM   #15
jar

Remember up until 1964 they came in without even importation marks. Mine is a 1955 and without import marks and with a "1955" date code instead of the usual Roman Numeral one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935-04b800.jpg (353.5 KB, 635 views)
File Type: jpg 1935-05small.jpg (80.9 KB, 633 views)
Old January 2, 2024, 01:46 PM   #16
Metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webleymkv View Post
If you wanted to restore it back to it's original configuration, barrels are available for about $72 and, unlike some other blowback pistols, are quite easy to remove and replace.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/596690

That being said, if the slightly shortened barrel doesn't bother you than it really shouldn't affect the accuracy or function of the gun, and from the pictures on their gunbroker listings it looks like the job was done well.
I will probably give that a try, if something is wrong with the barrel it comes with. I.e. if the crown is buggered somehow, or if there is corrosion/pitting in the barrel. If it looks fine and shoots fine, I probably won't. I should have it in hand tomorrow or the day after at the latest and will report.
Old January 2, 2024, 08:50 PM   #17
FITASC

jar - mine is dated 1942; original magazine, a small holster, WWII bring back - as I mentioned above, slide bite SUCKS on the web of your hand; bit me every time
Old January 2, 2024, 10:13 PM   #18
Metric

Really hope I don't jinx it, but since I'm expecting an imminent "new gun day" on a pistol most modern shooters haven't seen, here are a few gratuitous pics to showcase the aesthetic vibe I'm hoping for (courtesy of the internet movie firearms database). Something a bit different from the modern plastic pistol:

Old January 4, 2024, 07:04 PM   #19
Metric

Well, I got this into my hot little hands yesterday.

Condition surprised me. For all intents and purposes, it's a new gun with a beautiful finish. Wear patterns suggest less than 50 rounds fired before I got it. Maybe I got lucky in that respect (not sure how close mine is to average). Here's a picture with the grip off. The finish looks like it just came off the production line -- the grips have not had an opportunity to leave any rub marks on the bluing. The action is perfectly good, but not as shockingly slick as the 70, 80, or 90-series Berettas are.

The magazine, however, was "extremely not new." The mag had no pinky extension on the base plate. I thought these were made to optimize concealment, but mine clearly started life with a pinky extension, only to have it ripped off with pliers at some point (also possibly bitten off by a shark or blown off in an allied bombing raid). This left some jagged, uncomfortable edges. I re-shaped that area with a needle file, applied cold blue and a sealant, so it's now looking and feeling much better. I also ordered a standard mag with pinky extension from ebay (for $29) before the gun arrived, so I have one of each configuration.

I ran out to the desert for a quick test fire. Conditions were miserable with wet snow coming down and mud everywhere, so I didn't do much. About 49 shots total, including one 7-shot group on paper from ~15 yards (supported by the cold, wet, snowy hood of my car). That group had one flyer (due to me) and the six remaining shots went into about 3 inches. I was worried about mechanical accuracy due to the re-crowned barrel, but all appears to be well.

The test fire also revealed a weird malfunction. Rounds were almost fully chambered but stuck on the breech face, just as the rim was supposed to be slipping behind the extractor. I hypothesized a burr on the back-side of the extractor. I could also reproduce this jam by dropping the slide on full mag, without firing. After doing this a bunch of times, the malfunction went away, and I chalked it up to break-in of a "vintage but new" gun. To be double-sure, I did a detailed examination last night -- the extractor turned out to be okay, but there was a very clear burr on the "scoop" at the bottom of the breech face. I removed it with a needle file, and now chambering is solid.

I had no problems with slide bite, but the hammer got the web of my hand a few times (the beavertail being very minimal). Not enough to break skin, but pinchy enough to get my attention. Recoil did not seem too excessive, particulary with the Sinterfire 75gr copper loads. But, I wasn't paying much attention to that, being distracted by the jam issue at the time.

The design of the safety might be an issue for some, but it works for my particular finger and thumb geometry.

The sights are extremely small and mostly to be ingored for self-defense purposes, but they can support precision shots if you take your time. Rear sight is drift adjustable.

My biggest criticism is the trigger. Mine isn't crazy-heavy, but it did come with a metric ton of creep and false-starts. I hope it will smooth out with shooting and dry-fire. The trigger *reach* is also very short, and will take some getting used to.

Overall, I was surprised at how small the total presentation was, and it's just a neat little old-school, all-steel package. Built like a tank, to be sure, but a sleek little one. With some more shooting and familiarization I will try to imagine the best use-case for it, to be more than just a collectable.

Old January 5, 2024, 03:07 AM   #20
radom

guessing thats a post war police gun?
Old January 5, 2024, 07:53 AM   #21
Metric

Rguns, the importer, says "Dates may very but will be from the mid to late 70s."

Mine is marked 1979, and G.F. for "Guardia di Finanza." Per wikipedia, 'Interpol summarizes the Guardia di Finanza as "a force with military status and nationwide remit for financial crime investigations and illegal drugs trafficking investigations".'
Old January 5, 2024, 08:15 AM   #22
jar

Nice Parker. And yes, it is a small little thing.
Old January 5, 2024, 12:41 PM   #23
Metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Nice Parker. And yes, it is a small little thing.
Yeah, the book and gun are 1930's innovations. The Parker is from the 1940's.
Old January 5, 2024, 04:21 PM   #24
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
Yeah, the book and gun are 1930's innovations. The Parker is from the 1940's.
The Parker might be even later based on the cap. Which filling system does it have?
Old January 6, 2024, 03:04 PM   #25
Metric

It's an aerometric from 1949, iirc. Part of my EDC. I found the early vacuumatic version too leaky and difficult to exchange ink type.