The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 22, 2011, 10:22 PM   #1
doofus47

Sig P6 Main spring replacement

So after almost spraining my thumb trying to cock my P6, I decided to replace the 28# main spring, I bought a 20# spring from Wolff.
The switch looked pretty easy when I scouted the change. I took off the old spring with no issue, but for the life of me, I cannot slide the hole of the mounting plate (that dovetails into the grip frame) over the new spring and the shaft that supports the spring.

So from all the people that have done this before:
can you share your preferred method of mounting the plate over the spring/shaft, so you can pin it and mount it?

Laugh all you want. I deserve it: I'm not smarter than a 20# spring....
Old May 23, 2011, 10:45 AM   #2
GURU1911

Solution to your problem

Contact teddy jacobson @ "actions by-t" in sugarland, texas. He is ranked in the top 100 pistolsmiths in the nation by "the american handgunner magazine" & is a close personal friend of mine. Contact via his awesome website.

Tell him that michael in sealy referred you to contact him.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old May 23, 2011, 04:33 PM   #3
doofus47

Will do.
Thanks
Old May 23, 2011, 05:41 PM   #4
GURU1911

DOOFUS:

After you have consulted with teddy, please report back on this forum the results.

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old May 24, 2011, 11:07 PM   #5
doofus47

Mr. Jacobson was very nice. He was willing to take a call from me to discuss the situation. I think that I am explaining this poorly, though, and making it sound more difficult than it is. There's no gun smithing going on here. I just want to slip a spring onto a shaft and compress it long enough to slip the base plate over the spring. Then the plate slides into the dove tailed slot in the frame. Pop the holding pin through the shaft below the base plate and bob's your uncle! we're done. If there's a sig-specific "spring-er-ator" tool, then fine, I'm willing to admit it's harder than it looks, but I can't believe a military pistol is that stinking complicated that the main spring needs a special tool. I think Mr. Jacobson would make a wonderful source if I were plotting a real gunsmith project, but this issue is almost certainly below his experience-level. It's like asking a trig teacher 'what is 3x2?'

complete text of his email to me:
Its very hard to explain in an email. I made a sig video years ago that will help u. its never a good idea to put in weak springs unless u take the friction out of the internal system.

Check my website as I have the sig video listed. u can buy it from my son Charles, it runs over 1 hour.
u can call me most any day after but I do not teach gunsmithing

Regards,

Teddy

Teddy Jacobson - Pistolsmith
www.actionsbyt.com
281-565-69xx
Old May 26, 2011, 09:33 PM   #6
doofus47

And the answer is....

zip ties. I used tiny zip ties to hold the spring as I compressed it bit by bit.