The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old December 17, 2020, 07:48 PM   #51
Kevin Rohrer

I take my time and load 100-rounds in 15-minutes on my 750.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 18, 2020, 06:20 PM   #52
sevt_chevelle

Dillon 650 or 750.
You don't need a bullet feeder.
You can also get by without the case feeder.
Why do you need a video of a 650 or 750 without a case feeder to judge the press?
My 650 lasted about 4-5 months before I bought a case feeder.
A Dillon press is the ONLY press that does not depreciate in value, that there should say something.
Old December 18, 2020, 07:00 PM   #53
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle View Post
Dillon 650 or 750.
Why do you need a video of a 650 or 750 without a case feeder to judge the press?
A Dillon press is the ONLY press that does not depreciate in value, that there should say something.
No depreciation is a good thing, and it can demonstrate quality, but it can also demonstrate a fan club. The reason I want to see it is to see if the mechanisms used make sense to me. Every system will have its quirks and oddities, like the 550 with its manual feed system. It does not mean it is a bad thing, it was done that way for a reason, it just does not fit my need. I want to understand the press and how it operates as is, at $565, not with all the bells and whistles 1334, over double the price of the press. I want a press that is good without all extras. Based on the fact that I am having a HARD time finding a setup, or use vid with the base press, it makes me think it might NEED the extras to make it work well, or deal with some of the quirks of the system. It is a great thing to have extras available, and designed to interface with your system, however if that interface on the press side make it harder to use without the add on, its not a good thing.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; December 18, 2020 at 07:10 PM.
Old December 18, 2020, 08:49 PM   #54
sevt_chevelle

If a 650 or 750 can operate with all these bells and whistles it surely can operate in base form. Heck companies make systems to fully automate Dillon presses, you're not gonna do that if the base model is not a quality unit.
Once again, no need for a bullet feeder, I can easily do a 100 rds in 15 mins without breaking sweat on my 650.
A case feeder doesn't change ANYTHING about a Dillon 650 or 750 because the press was built around the case feeder. When you buy the case feeder its nothing but the actual feeder.
The case feeder on the Hornady IMO is a complete after thought. If you buy one its a complete system adapted to fit a press that wasn't meant for one IMO instead of designed for one.

I ran my 650 for months without a case feeder, I would just stop and refill the tube, about 15 pieces of 40sw. Some people would buy plastic tubes and prefill them with cases.

I recall a poll taking from competitive shooters, somewhere around +90% of those people used Dillon machines.

About 5 seconds worth of Google.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uKYi2063y4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYJXvx1u8KA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm8JLmflvrw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEdFj2uZst0
Old December 18, 2020, 09:41 PM   #55
brasscollector

Good grief, are all the dillon fanboys going to badger him until he buys blue?

Didn't see where he said he was a competitive shooter??

Still cranking out round after round on my LNL...
Pretty sure someone is out there right now using a LEE to make useful ammunition too.
Old December 19, 2020, 04:28 AM   #56
ed308

I’ve owned presses in blue, red and green. But only own a 650 and a 550C currently. I use the 550C for precision cartridges and it produces match ammo. I manually drop the powder that’s weighed on a A&D scale with Auto Trickler and Throw. I’ll never buy another Hornady press. Cheaply made compared to the Dillon. The case feeder on the LNL is also not as good as Dillons IMO. Good reason why the Dillons retain 80% value for resale.
Old December 19, 2020, 05:50 PM   #57
Kevin Rohrer

Dillon 650 or 750.

^^This^^

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 19, 2020, 05:57 PM   #58
Kevin Rohrer

No depreciation is a good thing, and it can demonstrate quality, but it can also demonstrate a fan club. The reason I want to see it is to see if the mechanisms used make sense to me. Every system will have its quirks and oddities, like the 550 with its manual feed system. It does not mean it is a bad thing, it was done that way for a reason, it just does not fit my need. I want to understand the press and how it operates as is, at $565, not with all the bells and whistles 1334, over double the price of the press. I want a press that is good without all extras. Based on the fact that I am having a HARD time finding a setup, or use vid with the base press, it makes me think it might NEED the extras to make it work well, or deal with some of the quirks of the system. It is a great thing to have extras available, and designed to interface with your system, however if that interface on the press side make it harder to use without the add on, its not a good thing.

I understand what is going on here, but will not comment on it.

Suffice to say that the concept of Impossible Expectations is not applicable in this situation. The 550 and 650/750 have been around far longer than any of the other presses you are thinking about, and have far more satisfied users all the users of all those other presses combined. Buy cheap or buy a Dillon. In the end you will do what you will w/o listening to us.

Old December 19, 2020, 06:58 PM   #59
StripesDude

I know it’s taboo but my Loadmaster had served me well for the past 8 years. I only load pistol on it, but for what I have into it for 5 pistol calibers, you couldn’t even get the base 750 with no bells and whistles.
Old December 20, 2020, 09:19 AM   #60
Kevin Rohrer

I know it’s taboo but my Loadmaster had served me well for the past 8 years. I only load pistol on it, but for what I have into it for 5 pistol calibers, you couldn’t even get the base 750 with no bells and whistles.

One gets what one pays for. If you want to pay for a Lee, expect Lee quality. On the other hand, if you want Dillon quality, dependability, and flexibility, expect to pay for it.

Old December 20, 2020, 12:15 PM   #61
kmw1954

Mr. Rohrer I believe you've made you point more than enough already, you are starting to sound like a used car TV salesman from the 90's on a Sunday morning.

I am not arguing the quality or merits of the product but once again not everyone that reloads needs or wants a Dillon press as much as you believe they do.. If that was the case Dillon would be the only press still available. Then also why is it that Dillon does not offer a single stage press? Or a Turret press for that matter?

I own and use 4 different presses and not one is a World Famous Dillon and I am happy and doing just fine..
Old December 20, 2020, 01:06 PM   #62
Kevin Rohrer

Mr. Rohrer I believe you've made you point more than enough already, you are starting to sound like a used car TV salesman from the 90's on a Sunday morning.

If one doesn't like the content, one is always welcome to go elsewhere.

Old December 20, 2020, 01:09 PM   #63
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Now that this thread has devolved into personal bickering, it's pretty clear that no new information is likely to be added.

Closed.
Jeepaholic
Closed Thread