The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 11, 2005, 12:47 AM   #1
sdkidaho

Spartan vs. Stoeger

Both are very cheap O/U shotguns. The only thing I really know about either is what I've read on their websites. I've read good reviews about the Spartans, but nothing yet on the Stoegers.

Anyone here with experience with them?

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/condor.tpl

http://www.spartangunworks.com/overunder.htm
Old June 11, 2005, 01:49 AM   #2
Diggers

Hi I am new to the shotgun sports my self so I have been looking in to these things alot of late. What I have found out is that Spartans, which are Russian made Baikal guns, are suposed to be very basic, but very tough guns. Mostly all the negative stuff I have heard about them has to do with them being clunky and not pretty to look at, wood to metal fit is bad and such. But I think that is coming from people who are used to $1500+ shotguns. I have never hear anything about them not working well.

With Stoeger I have read both good and not so good things. I have notice that most people that write good things are writing about the coach gun that the use for the cowboy shooting events. I have not found much about the o/u, except for 1 post that had real negative things to say about guns he and 2 friends bought. Hard to know what to think from one post.

After looking around and reading a lot I decided to buy a CZ canvasback o/u. A bit more money than Spartin and Stoeger. I also was looking at Traditions o/u that many people have posted about here. You can get them at walmart for pretty cheap so I have heard.
Good luck
p.s. There is alot writen about both here look around and read what people have to say.
Old June 12, 2005, 12:39 PM   #3
Skeetin'870

I shoot competitively in NE Ok and rugerdude is on my team and his father bought him a stoeger and it rusts the top barell wouldnt fire.
Now another member on my team has a baikail gun and she shoots 23-25 consistently now it isnt the prettiest gun but there is no doubt that it works.
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old June 12, 2005, 01:39 PM   #4
Trip20

One annoying thing about the Spartan: In order to shoot the top barrel FIRST, you must load the chamber like normal, close the action, and actually grab the trigger - press it forward toward the muzzle until it clicks.

If you do not do the above, you'll always shoot bottom barrel first. Now if your using this gun for trap, IMO - that sucks.

I'll never purchase the Spartan, or any O/U that has a similar operation. If your looking for a cheap O/U - look at the Baikal. I think it has a MUCH better fit and finish than the Spartan. I believe the Spartan is made by Baikal - but it's no where as nice as the Baikals that are sold under the Baikal name only.
Old June 12, 2005, 01:49 PM   #5
bergie

I have handled both in stores, and I know a couple of guys that have bought the Stoeger o/u. Both seem to be decent guns for the money. One guy that comes out to hunt pheasants had one and my brother and I checked it out. I personally didn't care for the way the gun fit me, thought it felt like the just stuck the gun on a chunk of 2x6, but it fit my brother better and he liked the way it came up and pointed. On the other hand, I bought a Lanber o/u and really like it, but my brother didn't care for the way it fit him. As far as the finish of the gun, the Lanber is way ahead of either Spartan or Stoeger. CDNN still has some of the Lanber shotguns at pretty decent prices, 3 models at $500-600. You will have to download their catalg to see them. Lanber is Spanish and there have been several posts about them here.

edit, added info. CDNN also has some of the EAA imported Baikal shotguns
bergie
Old June 12, 2005, 02:00 PM   #6
Romulus

I have a brother who owns a Stoeger, and one who owns a Fausti O/U. They're about the same price, and the Italian is twice the shotgun for fit and finish. Beautiful gun...

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old June 12, 2005, 02:06 PM   #7
Skeetin'870

The standard condor will not fire the top barrell unless you buy the condor supreme
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old June 12, 2005, 02:46 PM   #8
jvlip3

Stoegers and estate sales

I have the Coachgun which I use for skeet and birds. No problems at all with it but I have heard nice and not so nice things about Stoeger's O/U guns. But I hear the same things about all guns- you either love em or hate em. In this case I would buy from the store off the rack- no ordering- and check out it out first before buying. Also check out estate sales- it happens more often than not that a widow or family sells really nice stuff without knowing it's real value. A friend of mine did some renovation work for a rich old lady years back. While he was working in the attic he knocked over a box with two handguns in it. The lady sold them to him for a hundred dollars. The guns- a WW1 Colt 1911A1 and a WW1 Luger! A lot of O/U Italian shotguns can be found this way and were used very little. Good luck!
Old June 13, 2005, 01:33 PM   #9
wallingdad

I bought a Gazelle over/under model 310 in .410 gauge. i got it to help with my dog training and for my wife to use dove shooting. i put about 125 rounds through it and it has worked great. cannot say that i am very good with it at trap but i am trying. the finish and fit are good. still new though. this is a turkish gun. pleased so far.

anyone else have a gazelle and wish to tell me how it has been?