The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2018, 04:05 PM   #1
Miles2014

HK P2000sk for Summer carry

Anybody carry one in the summer? Is it too big, too heavy? Am I better served getting a Shield or XDS?

Thanks!
Old February 23, 2018, 04:20 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

I had the HKP2000SK and loved the gun......but it was too thick to comfortable carry in the summer for me. I'm 5'7 and lean built, carried AIWB and like the v3 DA/SA, but no matter what i tried, it felt way too thick, even thicker than my glock 19.

So now I am carrying a Shield which feels almost half the width of the HK. I don't like it as much, but it carrys way nicer and shoots as good.
Old February 23, 2018, 04:50 PM   #3
Siggy-06

Are you gonna carry iwb or owb? If owb I'd say it's not too big.
Old February 23, 2018, 06:16 PM   #4
TunnelRat

I’ve carried it IWB and it was fine, for me.

My experience is that what one person finds easy to conceal doesn’t always match with someone else. There are people that won’t carry anything more than say a Shield IWB, and then we have people carrying Glock 17s IWB and day it’s no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 24, 2018, 11:43 AM   #5
EnoughGUN

My p2000sk is my primary carry gun and the smallest gun I carry. I’m 5’9” 170lbs little extra around the equator but a good size chest which helps. I’ve carried it with shorts, jeans etc in diff styles of shirts from loose or more fitted button downs to t shirts and fairly fitted knit shirts. I carry iwb at about 2-230 pm (snicker) in a vedder light tuck or owb at 3oclock in a vedder light draw. I live in Texas so I’m not so concerned with it being invisible but I’d say unless someone is looking close they aren’t going to notice it. I have the holster canted forward which with the short grip keeps the butt from printing very well. It’s also short enough I can sit down or drive in comfort. On a pretty regular basis I will come home and not bother taking it off till I go to bed because it’s so comfortable. It’s a thick gun, not some super slim carry gun for sure. Are there guns like an XDs that would carry easier? sure but I tend to carry the biggest thing I can that is comfortable and hideable not the smallest gun I can that will still be effective. I also feel weird about having a tiny gun that would fit in my wallet in a holster, just seems weird.
It has been my experience that most people who carry do not have one gun that fits all occasions unless they live somewhere where the weather is fairly consistent. A buddy has a kimber micro9 with a clip on it he wears sometimes (gets reeeeal hot here) which looks super comfortable. I feel like even if you decide you need something smaller for rare occasions where the sk is too big (you are wearing a tight lil black dress, body paint, you are being blister packed for airtight shipment etc) you can buy a micro, XDs, p365 or something.