The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 8, 2019, 04:14 PM   #1
JJ45

9X18 JHP Opinions

Looking for opinions on the effectiveness of JHPs in the Makarov. I'm thinking similar to .380 JHP even though the 9X18 has a slightly larger diameter.

Not only the Hornady FTX, XTP or Corbon, etc. but especially those available from Prvi Partisan and Silver Bear which are both 94 grain JHP.

Anyone think they would be an advantage over FMJ bullets in a self defense situation at a range of 10 yards or closer? ...Thanks for any opinions.
Old August 8, 2019, 04:24 PM   #2
Doyle

I've still got a few boxes of Silver Bear JHP but I thought they weren't importing those anymore. They shoot very well.

As to effectiveness, yes - I think they are better than a FMJ. I've never measured how much they expand but anything is better than a FMJ.
Old August 8, 2019, 05:20 PM   #3
Dan-O

Corbon used to make glaser safety slugs in 9x18 mak. If I were packing a 9x18, that’s what I’d stoke it with.
Old August 8, 2019, 05:25 PM   #4
Doyle

Quote:
Corbon used to make glaser safety slugs in 9x18 mak. If I were packing a 9x18, that’s what I’d stoke it with.
Why? They were designed to be LESS effective (designed to be used by air marshals inside of an airliner).
Old August 8, 2019, 05:46 PM   #5
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
I've still got a few boxes of Silver Bear JHP but I thought they weren't importing those anymore. They shoot very well.

As to effectiveness, yes - I think they are better than a FMJ. I've never measured how much they expand but anything is better than a FMJ.
I was surprised that SG Ammo has it and PRVI as well. I can remember Barnaul JHP because I seem to remember it had an unusually large hollow point cavity.
Old August 8, 2019, 06:08 PM   #6
HiBC

I don't have any scientific data. IIRC Lucky Gunner did some gel testing.

Among your choices are Hornady Critical Defense, CorBon,and Buffalo Bore.

Anything more I might offer would be just opinion.

I can find the Critical Defense and it shoots in my PA 63
Old August 8, 2019, 08:42 PM   #7
jonnyc

My choice for my CZ82s is Hornady Critical Defense.
Old August 10, 2019, 02:47 PM   #8
TruthTellers

PPU does not make JHP bullets that expand. Every video I've seen of them, even shot into water, they do not expand.

Don't know about Silver Bear, didn't know Silver/Golden Bear made JHP ammo.

In 9x18, if I want a solid performer, I'd go Hornady Critical Defense.
Old August 11, 2019, 04:00 PM   #9
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
PPU does not make JHP bullets that expand. Every video I've seen of them, even shot into water, they do not expand.

Don't know about Silver Bear, didn't know Silver/Golden Bear made JHP ammo.

In 9x18, if I want a solid performer, I'd go Hornady Critical Defense.
Just saw a 2013 video on Silver Bear 9X18 94 grain JHP....Through four layers of denim and calibrated ballistic gel....the bullet began to expand at about 2 inches, expanded bullet diameter was around an inch or a little more out to about 5 more inches ....the jacket separated at 12 inches and a very jagged jacket ended up at 13.5 inches....velocity averaged 1046 that from a a CZ82.

He only fired one shot through the gel and more shots for the velocity test...one shot is probably inconclusive but from what I saw the round has some promise. Got to give the guy credit, there was a lot more info in the video than I just described.

BTW, you are correct on your assessment of PPU. Can't find anything supporting expansion of this 9X18 JHP. But it does seem to penetrate well....JJ
Old August 12, 2019, 10:21 PM   #10
doofus47

I used to carry a 9x18 back when I had not much $. It's an effective round at short distances. The Makarov is very reliable. I thought that the silver bear jhp fed very well and they went bang every time I pulled the trigger. Extraction was very vigorous--just short of low earth orbit.
I once saw pictures from a gang hit that used .380 (similar ballistics back in the 90s). According to the news summary, it was terminally effective.
You could do worse.