The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2017, 01:46 PM   #1
ELMOUSMC

.22 hornet load problems

I have been reloading Hornet rounds for a long time,different bullet weights -34 grain hp-35 grain v-max and 40 grain hp.The rifle I use is a Savage md 40(no longer produced) single shot heavy varmint barrel.Accuracy for all bullet weights that I load has always been outstanding.I use Lil Gun in the lighter
weight bullets and 2400 in the 40 grain
The problem I am having is the 40 grain bullets have become very eradicate
in their POI this is the same problem I had with 45 and 50 grain bullets and went to the lighter weights.If anybody has a clue I would be greatful for some possible answers
Old March 7, 2017, 01:58 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

What's the diameter of the 40's you're using now? Have they ever shot well? What's the rifling twist? Have you changed anything in the 40 grain load?
Old March 7, 2017, 02:12 PM   #3
ELMOUSMC

The bullets are all .224 the barrel twist is 1 in 14 the loads were worked up over time and performed really well and no changes were made in powder load weight the only change was primers due to a shortage of cci small pistol primers I switched to Remington small pistol primers
Old March 7, 2017, 02:16 PM   #4
ligonierbill

If your loads were accurate and suddenly are not, look to your rifle. Maybe a lot of copper in the grooves? FWIW, Speer had better results using Li'l Gun with 40 and heavier bullets. They used CCI 500 (small pistol), and their notes indicate they got much better consistency with those primers. I am loading for a pre-war Savage 23, using 0.223 Sierra 40 and 45 bullets over H110 and Li'l Gun. For this rifle, I have to limit velocity. Still working the 40s, but the 45s don't shoot worth spit over 2,600. Give your rifle a good scrubbing, maybe try the small pistol primers. Good luck!

PS: Saw your post after I put mine up. Only change is the primers? I think you have your answer. The Hornet is a fickle beast.
Old March 7, 2017, 02:20 PM   #5
Chainsaw.

Id say check your bore and crown. If not try to find the original primers, probably not the issue but you never know.
Old March 7, 2017, 06:15 PM   #6
ELMOUSMC

sugggestions

I got off the phone with a shooting friend,he thought that maybe I should try different powders these are the 1s he suggested- Enforcer-H110-W296 I have never used these in my Hornet what does anyone think
Old March 7, 2017, 06:40 PM   #7
mete

If I remember there have been two diameters . Early size and modern European vs American diameter rifling varied between .223 and .224.
But if your gun has changed check for other things.
Old March 7, 2017, 06:55 PM   #8
ligonierbill

Mine does best with H110. That said, I have tried Li'l Gun for more velocity based on Speer. It works fine, but as I said, mine is not very accurate at higher velocity. So, no need. Also, I already have an 8 lb container of H110 that goes into several revolvers. The key is your loads worked before. The known change is primers, the potential change is something about your gun. Action screws properly torqued?
Old March 8, 2017, 08:07 AM   #9
jmorris

This is pretty decent advice for the .22 hornet.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=316461

For me it is all about sizing the case, fired out of a particular rifle, as little as possible to refire in the same rifle. My Hornets never seemed as forgiving at other rounds in this respect.
Old March 8, 2017, 03:26 PM   #10
Longshot4

I shoot the Ruger 77 reamed out to 22K Hornet. The reason is to have the thin case last longer and to try to get it to shoot better. I have one sweet hart load. It's Hornady 35Gr. , Lil-Gun powder and the only primer I can use to shoot well is the Rem. 6 1/2.

Try it I think you will like it.
Old March 8, 2017, 03:46 PM   #11
dahermit

Quote:
I shoot the Ruger 77 reamed out to 22K Hornet. The reason is to have the thin case last longer and to try to get it to shoot better. I have one sweet hart load. It's Hornady 35Gr. , Lil-Gun powder and the only primer I can use to shoot well is the Rem. 6 1/2.
Try it I think you will like it.
I have a Browning 1985 in .22 Hornet. I had a lot of trouble finding an accurate load for it but finally found that 46 Grain Calhoun H.P.s over LilGun, Remington 6-1/2 primers shot well. The old stand bys for the Hornet like 2400 did not seem to want to shoot well at all.
Old March 8, 2017, 03:49 PM   #12
Panfisher

my .22 Hornet seems to be pretty easy to load for, nearly every load has been satisfactory. The 3 powders I have used with success are IMR 4227, H110, and Lil-gun. IMR 4227 was my favorite, but I always seem to have H110 around, and the pound of Lil gun I bought years ago just never seems to run out. Primers are almost always Rem Small Rifle BR because I bought a brick of them just for that rifle. I have often considered having my Ruger 77/22H rechambered to 22KHornet, but haven't located anybody locally to do it, and haven't been motivated enough to look beyond local.
Old March 8, 2017, 04:10 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

Doubt it has anything to do with a accuracy issue, but it might. Probably has caused a change in pressures. The Hornet uses small rifle primers not small pistol.
Like ligonierbill says, the only change is the primer. Technically, you should work up the load again with any change of components anyway.
Old March 8, 2017, 04:34 PM   #14
Dufus

Quote:
The Hornet uses small rifle primers not small pistol.
The Hornet can use both and most times, the Small Pistol standard variety gets a better SD and ES with Hornet loads.

There ain't much powder in the little case and I personally have had better results with small pistol primers.

My Browning Micro A-Bolt can shoot 5/8" @ 100 yrds (10 shots) with either Lil'Gun or H110 using the small pistol primers.
Old March 8, 2017, 04:48 PM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

ELMOUSEMC,

The only other thing than going back to your original primer that comes to mind is to ask if the brass is different or getting pretty old and work-hardened? That can change your start pressure. In the case of older brass used many times, annealing the mouths and necks is in order. If you changed your seating die, make sure you are getting good cartridge concentricity.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 8, 2017, 08:21 PM   #16
ELMOUSMC

A lot to consider

Well,thanks for all the information fellas
I have a tendency to want to go for speed,I have done it with most every cartridge that I reload I have to get it in my head that faster isn't always the way to go
That post from rimfire was eye opening Iam for sure going to give it go
I use little gun quite a bit with the lighter weight bullets and find it to be excellent
Iam going to try W296 and H110 and see if I can't work up some loads for the 40 and 45 grain bullets
I used Varmint Als method for annealing my brass and have yet to have any neck cracking problems
A Oorah to all of you and thanks for helping a beat up old Marine out

ELMO
Old March 8, 2017, 09:39 PM   #17
Dufus

I shoot mostly Barnes 30 gr Varmint Grenade.

Both Lil'Gun and H110 will give close to 3100 fps. I can't remember the exact numbers, but it is a little under 3100 fps. Hodgdon's data is a little inflated with the velocities listed on the load data website. I haven't been able to come close to shooting the velocities that they published. Don't really matter. My loads are as accurate as I can get them anyways.

Besides, the Hornet was not designed to shoot that fast by today's standards.

My loads are minute of turtle at 200 yds. That is all I ask it to do.

Turtles have eyes like an eagle and it is pretty damned hard to get close to them and we have enough to fix up all the stock tanks in Central Texas. We even have the big old ugly alligator snappers, but we leave them alone since they are declining.