The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2017, 08:08 PM   #1
WCWV

Hornady Lock & Load progessive

Good evening Fellows, I've posted this question elsewhere and going to ask for your guys input.
I've been loading on a single stage press for many, many, years and I think I'm going to treat myself.
I've been looking at this progressive press for sometime and I'm about to pull the trigger on it. The questions are what all do I need to get this thing up and running. I've been reading about bushings, plates, etc.
Of course I've already got dies, ect. I just don't want a sales person convincing me to buy a bunch of crap that I don't need, and I don't want to be needing something else to get started.
I'll basically be loading for my shooters, 380, 9mm, 38 special, 357, 44 mag, 45acp, 45 colt
Any input from someone who has one would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old March 5, 2017, 11:28 PM   #2
drain smith

It all depends on if you are getting the AP or the Ammo Plant
Now as far as to shells you are going to need the following.
1. 380 #16
2. 9mm #8
3. 38/357 #6
4. 44 #30
5. 45 apc/45 colt #45
Now I would suggest just getting the AP. Once you learn that you can add the case feeder. And later on add the bullet feeder. Then the Deluxe Control panel, then the...........
This hobby can be inexpensive or you can spend thousands.
But one of the most important thing to get is a mentor. Go to where you buy your power/primers, when you see someone pick up a reloading item, play stupid and ask them if they reload. When they say "yes" ask them what they reload on. If they say Hornady ask them if they like it. If they say they do just tell them you are thinking about getting one.Most of us are vane and want to show off and they will probably invite you over to show off. If not ask them if you are having problems if you can call them. I don't know any reloader that will not help.
Old March 6, 2017, 06:04 AM   #3
Whisper 300

OK.
I am going to say that you are opening up a potential hornets nest of controversy with the "Blue" vs "Red" camps.
I have both and there are pluses and minuses with both.
That being said, to answer your question what you NEED to get started with the LnL given that you have dies and it seems that the cheapest way to get going is your objective, you need : #1 The press. #2 The powder dispenser assy. however I do believe it comes in the package along with the generic small and large powder drop tubes ( it is the diameter of the drop tube that makes it large or small) #3 The shell plates needed for the caliber(s) you will reload. These are NOT included, however, there is overlap with the plates and what they work with so do your homework ahead of time to get the correct shell plate and although you did not say you are buying used, the earliest models uses a different ejector system and shell plate configuration than that of the models of the past few years-most probably not even a consideration if it is a new production unit. The "newer" plates have a circumferential groove milled into the bottom of the plate while the older ones are completely flat.

Other than that I cannot think of anything else absolutely needed.

Are there other toys you can add----YOU BET.

Would I get a powder cop or lock out die if loading pistol ammo--YUP!
Would I get some method of lighting (LED) to be able to look into the charged case BEFORE seating the bullet---YUP!

Are these absolutely needed -no, but I sleep better with them on the press.

Good luck and happy reloading.

Gary
Old March 6, 2017, 06:10 AM   #4
Whisper 300

PS on my previous post--

If you get the LnL system, go to The Firearms Forum: Ammo and Reloading and see and read 76 Highboys sticky thread on the LnL

A panoply of advice and help. You can save yourself hours of grief and potential hair pulling by seeing what he offers.

Gary
Old March 6, 2017, 06:22 AM   #5
Real Gun

Make sure you have the "pistol rotor" for the powder measure. When I bought mine, that was extra and so was the "powder measure stop". The standard rotor is for much larger powder volumes than you will be loading, except maybe 44 Magnum, possibly 45 Colt.

Also get a pack of extra shell plate spring hoops. Crunching at least one of those is probably on your learning curve.
Old March 6, 2017, 10:46 AM   #6
WCWV

Thanks Folks
Old March 6, 2017, 12:56 PM   #7
Whisper 300

+++++ on Real Guns post--totally forgot about extra springs

Get a couple and keep them handy as you will probably snag a few early on and stretch out the spring.

Also, be sure to keep the priming area clean of spilled powder granules and any errant primer dust from the de-priming station that will eventually gum up the primer slide.

Gary