The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2017, 03:05 PM   #26
FITASC

IIRC, at one time they were offered in 4oz trial sizes where you could mix and match. With the pure numbers of powders that can be used in certain applications, IMO it would be a winner, especially with what powders cost.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 9, 2017, 04:24 PM   #27
briandg

It is outlandish, kmw.

.if you don't want to talk about experimental small cans for rifle powder, whatever, don't. That still leaves exactly what I was talking about, a shop would need to keep dozens of numbers on hand for it to be useful. The thread discusses bullseye and number nine, but there are at least a half dozen similar numbers that fit that general description.

As far as half pints of rustoleum, Sherwin is what I'm talking about. HOME PAINT. If you want to test out a spot on the wall,you can now have a quart mixed up. In the past, you had no choice, most situations, you had to buy a gallon. When paint was packaged premixed, there were very few numbers in quarts.

This question is simple. Why isn't pistol powder sold in four ounce test batches as well as pounds? Because other than a very small fraction of people who only want a small amount, for whatever reason, nobody wants to do it. the makers don't want to package it that way, the distributors don't wand to handle it that way, the stores won't want to handle that way, and offhand, again, I suspect that very, very few people would buy it that way.

If it was a good idea, it would have been done. That is a simple matter.

Now if powder reaches $75 a pound, it's possible that pistol powder might be sold in half pound lots, just like so many food items have been repackaged to hide price increases.
Old March 9, 2017, 08:42 PM   #28
SHR970

Once again I will adress a Pet Peeve of mine on subjects like this.

The OP asked about specific powders. In this case the OP stated what was in his inventory and about specific addition(s). I asked a specific question that was echoed by a couple others to identify the specific need(s) of the OP. Based on the answer advice was given directly based on the OP's original question and related answer by a few of us.

THEN powders not asked about were offered up. Applications not even remotely related were introduced. Then packaging became an issue.

Conjecture on my part: OP was asking based on local availabilty. Not conjecture: OP doesn't care about rifle ammo for this discussion. Totally out of scope: Trial sized packaging of powders.

PLEASE: Stick to the question at hand. Questions to properly identify the need / use are fair game as they help answer the question. Going out of scope or WAY out of scope does no good.