The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2017, 09:58 PM   #1
henry bucki

the MAN was looking down on me tonight

went to the range this evening,took my mp44 to shoot my loaded 7.92x33. all went fine until the third magazine change, failure to chamber.tried several times BUT didnt push the issue, returned home ran a cleaning rod down bore,and had to drive it thru with a small hammer. i use a hornady progressive loader with auto bullet drop as well as auto powder thrower . i guess i will have to weight each round before taking to the range.
Old March 11, 2017, 10:22 PM   #2
ShootistPRS

Good luck weighing loaded cases to find a light or no powder charge . If you have your cases segregated by weight and you weigh the primers it might work. It is easier for me to set all the cases in a loading block after charging them and look at the powder levels compared to those around each case.

I ran into this once which is why I sold my 550 and use only single stage presses today. I can check after each step and know that the ammo is right.
Old March 11, 2017, 10:27 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Good luck weighing loaded cases to find a light or no powder charge.
Yeah, that won't work.
Old March 11, 2017, 10:31 PM   #4
Carriertxv

So was there no powder in the case? Not getting what you are using.
Old March 11, 2017, 10:50 PM   #5
henry bucki

i suspect no powder .had this same thing happen 20 years ago with an mp5sd, failure to chamber
Old March 11, 2017, 10:59 PM   #6
Carriertxv

Are you using a Hornady LNL AP with case activated powder measure? Man it don't matter what I'm loading I always look in the case before seating a bullet.
You are very lucky.
Old March 12, 2017, 12:33 AM   #7
JeepHammer

Is a powder checker die out of the question?

I don't know what powder charge you are using, but a powder check unit (Dillon) has eliminated low or no powder charges in the last few years.
Old March 12, 2017, 01:01 AM   #8
Reloader2

Got one stuck in my 357 Mag once. Didn't have a clue what to do so took it to the gunsmith. He said he'd seen multiple bullets in the barrel before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old March 12, 2017, 09:00 AM   #9
5whiskey

Quote:
Man it don't matter what I'm loading I always look in the case before seating a bullet.
^this. I've had one squib round. Since, I have always checked for powder. Always. This has saved me from a couple of other squibs as I caught no charges from the powder measure jamming.
Old March 12, 2017, 10:18 AM   #10
ed308

Luckily none for me so far. But I reload on a 650 with the Powder Check System. It seems to catch my gross over/under charged brass too. Wouldn't mind installing a camera so I can see inside the case with every pull.
Old March 12, 2017, 02:54 PM   #11
henry bucki

http://www.legacy-collectibles.com/w...wwii-1489.html i gave 16k for mine several years ago. Could have been a disaster if it had chambered.
Old March 12, 2017, 03:43 PM   #12
ed308

Wow. Nice. I would be careful with that one. Surprised how small the barrel seems in the photo. Look too small and likely to overheat.
Old March 12, 2017, 05:48 PM   #13
henry bucki

does get warm.metal front hand guard, i think it kept the germans hand warm on the Russian front in winter.
Old March 12, 2017, 06:03 PM   #14
Carriertxv

You are one lucky man to be able to own that. It must be better than sex.
Old March 12, 2017, 06:24 PM   #15
dahermit

A stuck bullet (squib load), with no tell-tail lack of report and recoil? Were you spraying so fast that you failed to notice?
Old March 12, 2017, 06:35 PM   #16
henry bucki

on full auto its hard to tell. the mp is a 70 year old gun 70 year old mags ,new springs but you have to understand its not a gun you would stake your life on at war. so their always jams out of lets say 30 round mag you will have one failure, its just that way. my schnellfeuer will do the same with a 20 round mag of 9mm at least one jam. maybe if i was shooting virgin ammo it would be different.
Old March 12, 2017, 07:50 PM   #17
ed308

A weapon that was certainly ahead of it's time.
Old March 13, 2017, 12:52 AM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
i use a hornady progressive loader with auto bullet drop as well as auto powder thrower . i guess i will have to weight each round before taking to the range.
The "man" that needs to be looking down is YOU, looking down into each case, to verify the presence of, and correct amount of powder, BEFORE seating a bullet. I realize that this is a pain, an extra, time consuming step, but here you have had a good example of how, sometimes, automatic loading set ups are TOO AUTOMATIC.

Yes, you got off lucky, and someone was looking out for you (or maybe for your rifle ), but if you don't change your loading process, it CAN happen again. And worse, consider that powder that didn't go into one case might go into another, along with the intended charge!

I don't know the amount/type of powder you are using, but if there is any room left in the case, an overcharge, due to malfunction of your press IS possible!!!

I realize one goes through a lot of rounds firing full auto, but considering you are shooting one of the ultra rare and expensive legally licensed MP44s, blowing one up because you were simply sloppy/in a hurry during reloading is an unforgivable error. Even if (or especially if) you have the wallet to handle it, its still a crime against history to the rest of us.

If your ears are up to it (mine no longer are) and you're not using a compressed load, shake each round and listen for the powder to rattle. However, this won't (probably won't) show you an undercharge, unless the sound is noticeably different.

Weighing each round won't work, unless you have pre-weighed and sorted your brass by case weight. Differences in case weight can hide differences in the weight of the powder charge.

Also, I would think that taking the time needed to weigh each round after loading, (even if that would work) would be more time consuming than the time needed to be taken to visually check each case for powder before seating the bullet.

Seriously, if it happened once, it CAN happen again (or something else might happen) unless you take specific steps to prevent it.

Good luck, and I do hope you take some steps to improve your QC to protect both your investment, and yourself!