The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 2, 2021, 08:26 PM   #101
dgludwig

Quote:
No clarification is needed; it's written in plain English. You are welcome to rephrase it if you desire; however, it won't change the fact that the 1911 is one of the best pistols ever made.
I don't get it. Are you just looking for an argument? TunnelRat was reporting his experience with the 1911 pistol. As much as you might want to, you can't change what he experienced. He offered pros and cons about the gun. The 1911 may well be "one of the best pistols ever made" (at least in your mind it is), but, like all firearms (including Glock ) and most every other contraption devised by the hand of man, it's not perfect. You shouldn't need other people's total agreement with your opinion to validate it.
Old June 3, 2021, 08:30 AM   #102
jr24

Quote:
SIG discontinued the P220. It's now the P220 Legion.
The Legion has an inferior finish (PVD vs. Nitron), crappy sights (X-Ray vs. Dot), front cocking serrations vs. none and other differences as well.
My PVD legion finish has held up quite well in kydex, as good as the Nitron guns I've had in the past.

I much prefer XRay to 3 dot sights.

Legion triggers are worlds better than Nitron triggers, even with SRT (which should be mandatory IMO) in my opinion.

I also find the beavertail and trigger guard undercut vastly more comfortable than the basic Sig grip shape, and the Legion Grips are my favorite of any G10 grips offered for Sig products (that I've found anyway).

Legion might be inferior to YOU, but I'd take a Legion 220 over the W. German 220, or the 245 I used to have back I the day, every time.
Old June 3, 2021, 09:06 AM   #103
JustJake

Quote:
Legion might be inferior to YOU, but I'd take a Legion 220 over the W. German 220, or the 245 I used to have back I the day, every time.
I dunno ....

Those "Made in W. Germany" P220s arguably were the best ones ever made - as far as reliability and accuracy.

They've attained virtual Grail Gun/cult status these days, with pricing to match. Check out GB sometime.
Old June 3, 2021, 11:08 AM   #104
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
I dunno ....

Those "Made in W. Germany" P220s arguably were the best ones ever made - as far as reliability and accuracy.

They've attained virtual Grail Gun/cult status these days, with pricing to match. Check out GB sometime.
To some, sure. I sold mine once I realized that every time I wanted to reach for a single stack full size .45 I just reached for one of my 1911s instead.

It was very accurate and easy to shoot well, but it just collected dust.

Now, my SAO 226 Legion is more accurate, more fun to shoot, better trigger and reset and just more fun, overall, to own and shoot.

In all reality, I likely won't buy another 220 either way. I had the w. German one, I had a Nitron one (NH manufacture) and I had a 245 at one point. Don't have any of them any longer, traded them all off for this or that over the years.

Now, my 228. I love that one. Well, it's my wife's 228 now, she stole it after one range trip.
Old June 3, 2021, 11:38 AM   #105
Pistoler0

Hi-Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt949 View Post
Would like to find a 45 ACP .Not 1911
That doesn't require spring changes special mags .
To work out of the box.
Hi,

I think everybody will make fun of my following recommendation, and there are much much better quality options out there.

But if the requirement is a 45 ACP pistol that works out of the box and is reliable (with a lifetime warranty), and if in addition you want it super cheap to boot, one answer that fits the bill is the Hi-Point 45 ACP pistol

Their 9mm apparently are not reliable but their 45 ACP is (I own the carbine).

However I've already said in a previous post that the Glock 21 would be my choice. I use it as EDC and in addition I can reliably shoot hot 45 Super with it when I go outdoors.

Last edited by Pistoler0; June 3, 2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old June 3, 2021, 11:30 PM   #106
bamaranger

.45 acp

Been my observation that the SIG P220 is an exceptionally reliable (and accurate) SA pistol, based on my observation of agency use as a duty gun and shooting same in IDPA (albeit bit slowly ) a wee bit. The originaly SIG 7rd mags got a bit wonky after time, but the 8rd MecGar stainless mags that replaced them were superb.

I've since been shooting a Glock 21, and though my round count on it is not near as high as the SIG, the G21 runs fine with a variety of ammo from the start as well.

Any 1911 I've EVER had had to be tweaked a bit and was very dependent on magazine type. Still a fan though!
Old June 5, 2021, 02:43 PM   #107
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
I don't get it. Are you just looking for an argument? TunnelRat was reporting his experience with the 1911 pistol. As much as you might want to, you can't change what he experienced. He offered pros and cons about the gun. The 1911 may well be "one of the best pistols ever made" (at least in your mind it is), but, like all firearms (including Glock ) and most every other contraption devised by the hand of man, it's not perfect. You shouldn't need other people's total agreement with your opinion to validate it.
Of course you don't. Opinions are like.... which is fine, but the conversation ended a while ago.

Have a question?
Old June 6, 2021, 09:48 AM   #108
stagpanther

I still have an original XD 45 that keeps me company at night on the bedstand--it's the "AK" of 45's.
Old June 13, 2021, 12:42 PM   #109
18DAI

For reliability out of the box, HK USP 45. Mine has over 8K rounds with zero malfunctions. Yes, none.

For similar reliability in a smaller, lighter, less expensive pistol try a S&W 457. I ran my early production 457 hard. For 8 years. Carrying it on and off duty. Qualifying with it. Shooting it in IDPA games. Then using it teaching and working at the local range for 3 years.

The nylon mag catch wore out around 6K rounds. Then around 9K rounds I broke the side plate. Both parts were easily located online, for not much money. Great pistol that I have more than got my money out of.

In fact, I like the model so much , I just won a late production LE order 457 off the big auction board. I expect it will run flawlessly as well.

Wasn't Ken Hackathorn a big proponent of the 1911? IIRC didn't he call it "..the King of feed way stoppages.." Sounds about right. Regards 18DAI
Old June 13, 2021, 07:18 PM   #110
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistoler0
But if the requirement is a 45 ACP pistol that works out of the box and is reliable (with a lifetime warranty), and if in addition you want it super cheap to boot, one answer that fits the bill is the Hi-Point 45 ACP pistol

Their 9mm apparently are not reliable but their 45 ACP is (I own the carbine).
Interesting. I have not previously encountered any reports that their 9mm pistols are unreliable.
Jeepaholic
Old June 13, 2021, 07:30 PM   #111
Aguila Blanca
Staff

This thread seems to have exhausted the available supply of new information. Once members start attacking other members for honestly reporting their personal experience, it's done.
Jeepaholic
Closed Thread