The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 2, 2015, 05:22 PM   #1
DA/SA Fan

Do everything handgun powder?

I know. Real rookie question from someone just wanting to get started but I would like to keep powder spending to a minimum in both dollars and confusion. I am just starting to gather some equipment and knowledge for hand loading for my handguns. I like high powered rounds. I know I would start low and carefully work up loads and take all the precautions. I will be loading 9mm, hopefully to the level of Underwood +P+ with 124 and 148 grain bullets. 10mm again going for Underwood velocities with 180 and 200 grain bullets. .45 +P and super 230 grainers. and probably 9x23 to go for hotter than the commercial Winchester that's occasionally available. The pistols are all 4.5 inch barrel semi-autos of the CZ slide in frame persuasion. Is there a powder or powders capable of doing it all? If not where should I start for each?

I will be using a single stage press and weighing the powder for each individual round. I have a few reloading manuals that I really haven't studied thoroughly yet and would start with weak loads to start.

Thanks for any direction
Joe
Old October 2, 2015, 05:25 PM   #2
roashooter

best place to start....READ the manuals......
Old October 2, 2015, 05:30 PM   #3
Buzzard Bait

like the man said

Yes the manual is your bible.
bb
Old October 2, 2015, 06:18 PM   #4
condor bravo

You're wanting one powder for the three calibers you mention: 9mm, 10m, and .45. Certainly possible but one powder for all may not give the desired results for all. Bullseye, Power Pistol and Unique (and probably others) are shown in loading data for the three calibers. You will no doubt be expanding on powders as you go so there is really no practical need to try to settle on just one as the do it all powder to begin with. Why the desire for +P loads?

Last edited by condor bravo; October 2, 2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old October 2, 2015, 06:18 PM   #5
reddog81

You are looking for the hottest loads for a handful of high pressure calibers... No offense, but that's not the best way to start reloading. You need to learn how to walk before you try to run.

There are powders common between 9mm, 45 ACP, and 10mm, but if loading +P and +P+ loads you are going to need specific powders for each caliber. Also you probably aren't going to find much in the way of published +P+ loads or even too many +P loads.
Old October 2, 2015, 06:24 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

If I were loading hot rounds for all the calibers mentioned, and could only purchase one propellant, Power Pistol would be my choice.
Old October 2, 2015, 07:19 PM   #7
BoogieMan

Look at your manuals and see which powder will give you acceptable loads with all 3 cartridges. I think power pistol is one of those powders but may not give you +P options. Don't have any manuals handy or I would help you shop.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old October 2, 2015, 07:54 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

Quote:
(Power Pistol) may not give you +P options.
I'm not sure what that means, as "+P" is a function of pressure. Please be assured that Power Pistol is quite capable of developing +P pressures, and well beyond and into catastrophic firearm dismantlement.

Now in terms of maximum velocities, yeah, there are other powders that may do slightly better. Speaking for myself, I won't use anything slower than Power Pistol for 9mm/124gn. The 147's might be better served by something like AA#7.

For 45 ACP; I think Power Pistol is ideal for max 230gn bullets. Again, slower propellants can be used, and they might eek out a few more fps, but it's going to come at the expense of enormous flash, report, and recoil. It would just be silly for the few extra fps.

10mm, yes, slower powders could do better - especially the 200gn bullets. But I've loaded some mighty fast 180gn ammo for my 10mm's with Power Pistol.

I can't speak to 9x23 as I don't load for it.

Keep in mind, my first post was the one propellant to use.
Old October 2, 2015, 08:07 PM   #9
DA/SA Fan

Thanks guys! I knew I could count on reloaders even above and beyond others on these forums. Sounds like power pistol is the place to start.

Just to clarify for some of you that are looking at me a little cross eyed for the question. I'm not looking for "the one" that i will use always and forever. I'm just looking for a good enough compromise to get me started with less expense. I know I will be getting different powders for different calibers and loads as I go but I want to get some experience with everything I shoot without breaking the bank all at once.

Sounds like Power pistol is the way to go.

Thanks again!
Old October 2, 2015, 08:29 PM   #10
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I'm not looking for "the one" that i will use always and forever. I'm just looking for a good enough compromise to get me started with less expense.
Completely understood. That's how I inferred your original post.

Load safe.
Old October 2, 2015, 08:40 PM   #11
sghart3578

Accurate #5
Old October 2, 2015, 08:44 PM   #12
Marco Califo

Quote:
Bullseye, Power Pistol and Unique (and probably others) are shown in loading data for the three calibers.
Unique is my recommendation for your first pistol powder. Those three are the only Pistol only powders I have on hand. I also have some shotgun powders that can be used for pistol, but, for that matter, so can Unique be used for both.

I like Bullseye alot, but recommend Unique because it does not have the capability to suddenly disassemble your firearm. Bullseye can, and will, if you do something stupid, like double charge, or worse. Power Pistol is excellent for performance loads. But Unique will work for just about anything.
Old October 2, 2015, 09:16 PM   #13
IdahoG36

Just a piece of advice and some words of caution to the OP. You will not find any load data in any of the manuals that will replicate Underwood ammunition. Underwood has carved out a market for themselves manufacturing high performance ammunition that is still "within SAAMI specifications".

I have shot a fair amount of Underwood 10mm ammo, and I have never had any issues. I chrono'd their 180gr Gold Dot load out of a 5" barrel at 1300fps. Out of a 6" barrel, I believe it averaged 1350fps or so.

The bottom line is this- DO NOT TRY TO REPLICATE THESE LOADS!! This is especially true if you are a novice. Underwood is a professional manufacturer of ammunition. They often have ballistics techs and labs, and use blended powder not available to the general public. Most of us don't have access to anything like that.

I reload 10mm, but I still buy Underwood ammo for certain applications. I cannot safely load to those levels on my bench, and I'm not going to risk blowing up my pistol or injuring myself trying.

When I was new to reloading, I remember reading something that stuck in my head. It was along the lines of "Remember, you are new to reloading. There have been many before you, and over the years they have tried just about every powder charge/bullet combination there is. Some combinations worked well, some ended catastrophically. This is why the data found in reloading manuals has a minimum and a maximum. You aren't going to come along and reinvent the wheel by cramming more powder into a case. Stick to established reloading manuals and practices. They've already done the hard work."
Old October 2, 2015, 09:20 PM   #14
vaalpens

Look at Longshot on the Hodgdon site. Seems like you will get high velocities even for 45ACP. CFE Pistol and Autocomp are also up there.

Not sure if you will be able to match the Underwood velocities, but they are higher than I normally shoot.
Old October 2, 2015, 09:37 PM   #15
DA/SA Fan

Thanks for that Idaho. I don't need to do an exact replication of Underwood but I would expect that even as a complete beginner I should be able to work my way up to the original specs for 10mm which is a 200 grain bullet at 1200 fps. +or- depending on the firearm. Underwood does do better and I only use it as a round to "duplicate" in that they are not the wimpy stuff that a lot of manufacturers offer. I know what I consider under powered is designed to be as effective as the hot stuff but I love shooting the stuff!

Rest assured......I WILL BE VERY CAREFUL and take it slowly and methodically. I have plenty of time and a limited number of fingers.
Old October 2, 2015, 10:31 PM   #16
Kosh75287

+1 for Power Pistol

I'D suggest you buy a pound of Unique or Herco, and load for all those calibers until you use it up. THEN, take what you've learned with those many rounds of reloads, and apply it to those calibers, using Power Pistol. It won't act EXACTLY like Unique or Herco, but the similarities will be enough that you'll know when you're heading for trouble without actually getting there.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old October 2, 2015, 11:22 PM   #17
evtSmtx

Ah yes "know you're heading for trouble without actually getting there". Now I don't care who you are that's wisdom right there.
Old October 2, 2015, 11:26 PM   #18
evtSmtx

oh yeah, I don't have a 10mm (yet) but like Power Pistol and CFE Pistol a lot for both 9 & 45. Experimenting with BE-86 but haven't tried it in .45 yet
Old October 2, 2015, 11:31 PM   #19
Kosh75287

evtSmtx, I've been curious about BE-86. How does it meter?

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old October 2, 2015, 11:34 PM   #20
waveslayer

I use Winchester 231 for all my handgun loads, works fine
Old October 3, 2015, 07:07 AM   #21
BoogieMan

Quote:
I'm not sure what that means, as "+P" is a function of pressure. Please be assured that Power Pistol is quite capable of developing +P pressures, and well beyond and into catastrophic firearm dismantlement
Nick-The OP asked about developing +P loads for 9mm and .45. I dont know if Power Pistol is suitable for those types of high performance cartridges. I probably should have worded my response more clearly. Thank you for pointing that out.
Power Pistol is capable of an overpressure, I am not sure it will give you the performance you are looking for at +P+ levels.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old October 3, 2015, 09:29 AM   #22
jmorris

30 years ago when I started loading I kept it very simple. I loaded 9mm, 38/357, 45 ACP and even 44 mag all using 231 (even used the same charge weight on the first 3).

These days I rarely even use 231 (what I have came in metal cans), a jack of all trades is master an none, sort of thing.
Old October 3, 2015, 10:52 AM   #23
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I've been curious about BE-86. How does it meter?
It should meter pretty much the same as Bullseye or Power Pistol; because like Power Pistol, BE-86 it is a derivative of Bullseye (hence, the "BE" in BE-86 - Power Pistol was originally BE-84).

Bullseye and Power Pistol look identical side by side - and certainly seem to meter the same. And although I've never seen BE-86, I don't know why it would be any different.
Old October 3, 2015, 11:19 AM   #24
Nick_C_S

Quote:
These days I rarely even use 231 (what I have came in metal cans), a jack of all trades is master an none, sort of thing.
That must be the most unusual characterization of W231 I've ever read

It's more likely one would say "jack of all trades, master of all."

The truth is probably somewhere in between.

I can say without doubt, and through extensive chronograph testing, in the 38 Special and 45 ACP target shooting world, W231 is pretty much regarded as the king of consistency. But that's off-topic.

Relating to the OP, W231 is certainly too fast to meet his criteria. It hardly even belongs in the conversation. It would make good range fodder for the 9mm/124's - but nothing in the velocity range the OP is looking for.

In 45 ACP, it can drive 230gn bullets up to and a little over the 800 f/s range; but our OP is probably looking for about 100 f/s+ more.

And I wouldn't even try using W231 in 10mm. I'm sure a safe load could be crafted; but it's pointless. Velocities would be too low for most any application (assuming one doesn't buy a 10mm to run powder puff rounds).
Old October 3, 2015, 11:41 AM   #25
lee n. field

Quote:
Do everything handgun powder?
Bullseye does it for me, for everything. Until it can't be found, then I'll use Winchester 231.

Quote:
I will be loading 9mm, hopefully to the level of Underwood +P+ with 124 and 148 grain bullets. 10mm again going for Underwood velocities with 180 and 200 grain bullets. .45 +P and super 230 grainers.
Whoa! Slow down, Sparky. Learn first, on sane loads.

Quote:
I will be using a single stage press and weighing the powder for each individual round.
Good. At least you're not starting out wanting to work with a progressive, like many I read.

You'll tire very quickly of weighing each charge individually, and want to get a good powder measure.

Quote:
best place to start....READ the manuals......
Yep. RT*M -- Read the Fine Manual. More than one, actually.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "