The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 22, 2001, 09:25 PM   #1
Contender

New Mossberg

O F Mossberg & Sons, Inc.. , an industry leader in pump-action security and sporting shotgun manufacturing, has introduced the new 590DA - the first "Double Action" 12 Ga. pump shotgun ever offered to the law enforcement and civilian communities. The new 590DA is based on the proven Mossberg 590© pump action design, renowned as the only pump shotgun in the world to pass the notorious mil-spec 3000 round torture test.

The 590DA fires with a long, deliberate stroke of the trigger for each shot. This new, innovative design provides a faster, easier transition from service sidearm to shotgun, as it requires no substantial change to the widely accepted DAO firing procedures of today's most advanced service revolvers and DAO pistols.

The 590DA fires with a long, deliberate stroke of the trigger for each shot.

Like other Mossberg 590 shotguns, this new model retains all of the proven Mossberg features long popular with law enforcement and military professionals around the world. Features such as: dual action bars, corrosion resistant parkerized finish, straight-thru magazine tube cleaning, rugged synthetic stock and forend, and an ambidextrous thumb safety. In addition, the 590DA was designed to meet or exceed stringent government milspec and NIJ requirements.

The new Mossberg 590DA is available with a bead front sight or Mossberg Ghost Ring sights in 18.5 or 20 inch barrel lengths. A 14 inch Ghost Ring model is also available subject to BATF Class 3 regulations. The new Mossberg 590DA, as well as the complete line of security and personal defense shotguns is available through all major commercial and law enforcement dealers and distributors nationwide.

For more information on the 590DA, or Mossberg's complete line of commercial, personal defense, law enforcement and military shotguns, rifles, and accessories, contact: O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc., 7 Grasso Ave., North Haven, CT 06473, Phone: 203-230-5300, Fax: 203-230-5420

Old January 23, 2001, 01:40 AM   #2
cuerno de chivo

catering to the law enforcement market? they buy dao autos. put new york + triggers on glocks.

i'd expect a key lock safety soon too :barf:
Old January 23, 2001, 01:54 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Or the old Elmer Keith line, which he used when first confronted with the now obsolete 8mm Remington Magnum...

"What the hell good is it?"
Old January 23, 2001, 08:32 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

"Serious" shotguns get aimed, not pointed, and the triggers get squeezed,not yanked.A heavier, harder to control trigger is a step in the wrong direction.

Once again, the prevailing political climate says that instead of spending the time to teach folks that the trigger guard gets entered only when one is ready to shoot, they worsen the hardware to avoid the inevitable accidents caused by poor training of unmotivated and lackadaisical personnel.

This is about as useful as a parachute on a submarine, the answer to the wrong problem.
Old January 23, 2001, 02:45 PM   #5
Ledbetter

Anti-lawyer model?

I concur. This product is unnecessary. You can shoot lawyers with any model shotgun.
Old January 23, 2001, 08:16 PM   #6
RHC

Well, we lawyers have exceptionally thick skins,
so you probably want something that will
fire slugs. And it is pretty hard to pin us
down, so open sights. And don't forget you'll
need a round that will penetrate a BMW!
Old January 23, 2001, 08:42 PM   #7
Correia

RHC, LMAO!

Old January 23, 2001, 08:54 PM   #8
9x45

Someone needs to do a whole lot more shooting, and alot less reading gun ads. There are 2 kinds of tactical shotgunners, those that shoot, and those that talk, like lawyers. I have a VangComp Mossberg 590, Remington 11-87 Police SP, and a Beretta 1201FP that are used in tactical 2 gun and 3 gun matches a couple of times a month. Why would someone like me want this new DA gun? I'm with Elmer and Jeff, what's it for?
Old January 23, 2001, 09:24 PM   #9
K80Geoff

Progress?

Making a lousy trigger even lousier

Geoff Ross
Old January 23, 2001, 09:26 PM   #10
Noah1234

I asked myself the same question

Why? When I purchased my 590 I tried to think of some reason why I would want a looooong drawn out trigger pull instead of a nice clean 'click' couldn't think of anything to I settled for a regular 590A1, and I'm quite happy with the trigger thank you.
Old January 24, 2001, 09:41 PM   #11
Frenchy

Designed for the "common sense" challenged!!
Old January 24, 2001, 10:04 PM   #12
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Erick - try this one - "an ingenious solution to a non-existant problem".

Giz
Old January 25, 2001, 12:20 AM   #13
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

One possible benefit to it: could this design be drop-safe or it is a matter of the firing pin retention and not of the trigger?
Old January 25, 2001, 09:13 AM   #14
ctdonath

Around here (Rochester NY) a cop accidentally (?) shotgunned a suspect during a drug raid. Apparently he stumbled and there was an unfortunate convergence of finger, trigger, and perp. Litigation will undoubtedly ensue. With our advertising-based culture ("buy product X and problem Y will go away!") there's a good chance that a bureaucrat will declare that such situations will be properly prevented by replacing all department shotguns with "double-action" triggers (as opposed to, say, teaching Rule #3 and not doing no-knock dynamic entries).

Most people would rather blame the equipment than the operator or the selection of circumstance.
Old January 26, 2001, 01:40 PM   #15
Kevlarman

About rule #3....

Just exactly how does this work? When I'm on the range, of course, I keep my finger out of the guard whenever my sights aren't pointed at the target. But what about LEOs and the like? Do they clear rooms and cover suspects without their fingers on the trigger?
Old January 26, 2001, 02:58 PM   #16
Nightcrawler

LEOs and trigger fingers...

Ever see a SWAT team do an entry on the Learning Channel or some other documentary? Their fingers are on the outside of the trigger guards of their MP5s until they have a target in their sights. In a high-stress situation, where you have a lot of teammates crammed into a close quarters scenario, it'd be real easy to accidentally pop a round into your buddy if you had your finger on the trigger. Something could startle you, you could stumble, something could knock against your hand, and so on.
Old January 27, 2001, 12:26 PM   #17
ctdonath

RULE 3
KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER TIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Works exactly the way it says.
Old January 28, 2001, 02:02 PM   #18
JK

I don't trust any Mossberg when it comes to serious social work. Too many come thru my shop for repairs. The 870 is the standard for law enforcement. I had one in the rack right next to me in a patrol car for 14 years. It was pulled hundreds of times and I never had an AD. Training!!!!
The mossberg is a good shotgun, but I fear that too many unknowing (read H. U. A.) police officials will want the latest P. O. S. safety firearm for their troops in the field. Police shotguns get abused and the only shotgun that I feel will stand up to the rigors of police work is the 870.
Good Shooting To All-John K