The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 1, 2017, 06:09 PM   #1
jmccormick2001

Steyr L9 or Magnum Research MR9?

would be helpful to get opinions on which is
the better gun...

the Steyr L91A or the Magnum Research MR9 or the AREX ZERO...all of them price
out about the same but curious as to quality and accuracy of
each of these. Is there one I should avoid?

regards

Last edited by jmccormick2001; February 1, 2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: left out some info
Old February 1, 2017, 07:59 PM   #2
B-Shot

What do you want to use them for? I have shot the Steyr and own a MR9 And dont really have any negitives. The trigger is way better on the MR9 IMO. Holsters and aftermarket sights may be harder to find for the Steyr. For the Zero you should be able to use Sig holsters but I dont know about the sights.
Old February 1, 2017, 08:39 PM   #3
Worc

All three are different from one another quite a bit. The L-A1 and MR9 are both striker models. The MR9 and AZ (like Sig 226) are both DA/SA but, the AZ has a hammer.

I've not shot the AZ but have held one once. I have a few mags through the MR9 and it was a pretty good shooting gun not unlike the Walther P99AS. I've shot quite a few current Steyr's. Most of them were the shorter M_-A1's. I also own a L9-A1.

As a group their accuracy is exceptional and reliability has been perfect. The Steyr's have one of the best striker triggers overall. They are in a group with the Walther PPQ, Sig 320, and HK VP9. The reset could be a little better on the L9-A1 in terms of being more tactile and a little shorter (like the PPQ). The trigger tab is unlike most others in that it does not pivot but, pushes straight in. It's a less obtrusive design. They have a more muzzle heavy balance point and the grip is more forward. It also has a very low bore axis. These all add up to create a gun that has low recoil/muzzle flip. They don't have adjustable grips but, I've never heard any one say that the grip was uncomfortable. The would range from guys with big hands to kids and women with smaller hands. The grip angle is very Glockish which some don't care for. The trap sights are different and took a magazine or two to get used to. I prefer 3 dots but, have no issues shooting these along side 3 dots. That's something that can be changed out.

I don't have any issues with holsters and there is some aftermarket support as well. CDNN has 15 round magazines for reasonable prices.

The L9-A1 is my second favorite striker pistol currently made. It is aesthetically unique and pleasing to my eye. I think the current Steyr lineup is underated but, like any brand/model not for everyone.
Old February 1, 2017, 08:47 PM   #4
PP99

If you like striker fired pistols like Glock17, the Steyr L9A1 is your choice, but if you prefer something like the Walther P99 with a DA/SA trigger, the MR9 is a very good choice.
I've been hearing some good things about the "new" Area Zero.
My vote is:
If polymer Striker fired: The new CZ P10c
If polymer with Omega trigger & hammer design: The CZ P-07
If polymer (DA/SA) + a decocker safety on slide top: The MR9
If full metal frame DA/SA pistol: The Sig P229 Legion
Old February 1, 2017, 10:15 PM   #5
gc70

The Magnum Research MR9 is, for all practical purposes, a Walther P99AS.

The MR9 frame is made by Walther (and marked as such under the interchangeable back strap), while Magnum Research supplies the barrel and slide. Walther previously had a similar arrangement with Smith & Wesson to produce the SW99.
Old February 1, 2017, 10:38 PM   #6
PP99

Canik TP9SA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTaXe2uwKww
Old February 2, 2017, 04:55 PM   #7
FNS-40

MR9 would be my choice. Have you looked at the Jericho from IWI?
Old February 3, 2017, 08:58 AM   #8
Fishbed77

The most proven of the three designs is the MR9, which is just a licensed copy (with a Walther-built frame) of the Walther P99AS - one of the finest striker-fired pistols ever made.

That said, P99s can be found new for under $550 these days - so maybe you should be looking for the "real thing" as well, since they often don't cost any more than the MR9s.

The Steyr L9 is a fine pistol, but a bit clunky in size and shape, and accessories/parts can be difficult to find sometime.