The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 12, 2017, 08:20 PM   #1
Consort

Sig P238 issue

Just purchased a new Sig P238. When a full magazine ( 6 round ) is inserted and a cartridge is attempted to be chambered, it jams. This happens when using either the sling-shot method or slide release method. Insert a magazine containing five rounds or less and no problem at all. I have only attempted feeding hollow points including Speer Gold Dots and Winchester PDX-1. If I insert a magazine with five rounds in, chamber a round, drop the mag, top it off, and re-insert, it jams again when the slide is cycled. I am guessing that it is some quirk with the magazine, but since it only came with one, I will have to wait until the extras that I ordered arrive before I can confirm my suspicion. Any other insight from those of you who own this pistol??
Old August 12, 2017, 08:45 PM   #2
CDR_Glock

I'm guessing it's the magazine. I have tried different magazines that also fit the Colt Mustang. I've never taken a magazine apart but a lot of times the issue is the spring....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old August 12, 2017, 10:30 PM   #3
Lexspeed

I assume you cleaned and lubed the gun properly before shooting. Small chance this could present a problem, but just want to rule that out. You could have a mag issue. I have about 8 mags for mine. I use Kimber Micro and Colt Mustang 7 round mags in addition to the Sigs. They are great for the range with their polymer base/pinky extension. Experiment with some different mags. You might also want to use round nose target ammo in 95 to 100 grain for initial break-in and then move to defensive ammo later. I have never experienced any issues with the variety of mags I use, but then I am a bit OCD about disassembling them and polishing and lightly (like very lightly) lubing them. Keep us posted on your journey. The P238 is a fantastic pocket carry pistol. You will love it.
Old August 13, 2017, 02:06 AM   #4
AL45

I would also think it is the magazine. My wife and I both carry P238's and while hers had a "break-in" period where it jammed some during the first couple hundred rounds, mine has never jammed at all. We both use the extended magazine with ours. I've shot lead round nose, jacketed round nose, and hollow points without any problems.
Old August 13, 2017, 04:19 AM   #5
Ibmikey

I have. Well over a dozen Sig, Kimber and Colt mags for these pistols and all have worked normally. If you have difficulty finding a new one pm me.
Old August 13, 2017, 08:45 AM   #6
reynolds357

Mag spring is too strong. Fully load the mag and let it set a while.
Old August 15, 2017, 09:06 PM   #7
ed308

Yep. My guess too. But could be the ammo. Break it in. That should fix the problem.
Old August 15, 2017, 09:54 PM   #8
jglsprings

Have you fired it yet or just hand cycled it?

Commas save lives...
Old August 15, 2017, 10:08 PM   #9
Prof Young

Wow. My p238 has run flawlessly save for an after market mag that it had trouble with. If your mag came with the gun then it should be a sig mag and you have a problem indeed. Send it in for warranty repair. Good luck.
Life is good.
Prof Young