The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 20, 2011, 03:30 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Scored a Hawes at the gun show today

I hope "BPrevolver" is reading this.

I picked up a Hawes 1851 Colt in .36 at the gun show today. Vendor had it on his table for $250.00. I started explaining how a brass frame 1851 new from Cabela's is going for about $150.00. I pointed out that the pistol was far from perfect. Brass was tarnished green, little chip in the grip, pistol just looked bad. He came down to a hundred. I told him I would not go over ninety. He threw in a holster so I bought it.

I was not worried about the brass because I knew it would polish up. But I had not seen the thing cycle (Didn't want to bother the vendor to take the cable tie off of it.) Got it home and found that the bolt is dropping at half cock. Guess it'll take some work on the machinery. WD 40 made it better but did not fix the problem.

The bore and chambers are immaculate. May never have been shot. Date code is XXVI which I think is 1970. All in all I am pretty happy to find this relatively rare revolver for just a hundred bucks, minus whatever I can get for the holster.

Photos later.
Old February 20, 2011, 04:52 PM   #2
g.willikers

Will you go with me the next time I try to buy a car?
Old February 20, 2011, 04:55 PM   #3
Hawg

Lucky dog.
Old February 20, 2011, 05:18 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

G.

I'll go with you as long as you are looking for a 40 year old relic that looks bad and doesn't work properly.
Old February 20, 2011, 05:19 PM   #5
mykeal

Quick. Pick six numbers between 1 and 47.....
Old February 20, 2011, 11:18 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

The heck with the pistol . . . I'm impressed that Doc now has a holster! And I was going to make him one just so he could say he had one . . . .

And just so he knows I wasn't kidding, I'm attaching a photo of one I just finished for my Single Action Bearcat . . . . "antiqued" of cours - just the way I like 'em. And, oh yea, by the way . . . I put that the Bearcat was Single Action just so this wouldn't get booted . . . . it is sort of a "cowboy gun" anyway . . .

Congrats on the new one Doc!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger Super Bearcat - Loop Holster - 3.JPG (75.4 KB, 53 views)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 21, 2011, 05:29 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

Bedbug...

Don't blink... You will miss the event by which I rid myself of it.

Nice one you made though. Mason?
Old February 21, 2011, 06:52 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

Doc - yes to Mason . . . Michigan - Cement City 435 and Detroit Moslem Shrine . . . . and Hiram's Rangers - Badge # 63 . . . raised 1977 on the 4th of July at dawn . . . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 22, 2011, 02:24 AM   #9
Bill Akins

Doc, you're a horse trader after my own heart. Congrats on your new acquisition. Can't wait to see the pictures.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old February 22, 2011, 10:21 AM   #10
Hardcase

Between Doc's deals and bbb's holsters, I'm gonna have to get a bib to deal with all the drooling that I've been doing!
Old February 24, 2011, 01:21 AM   #11
62coltnavy

I have a Hawes "Sheriff's" model in 36 sitting here on my desk that I bought about a year ago for $125. I had the darndest time trying to find out anything at all about this defunct company. I note that the proofs are Italian, but I am unsure who made them. Was it Armi?
Old February 24, 2011, 02:49 AM   #12
Doc Hoy

62Colt

Sounds like a job for....

.... SuperBpRevolver!