The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 30, 2017, 07:31 PM   #1
chaim

Big guys, how do you carry?

So, I've always been overweight, but I've recently gained some weight (I've gained about 20LBS in the past 6mo and I'm within 5 pounds of the heaviest I ever weighed). I have always carried IWB (when I can carry- out of state and at home). With this recent weight gain, it is getting a bit too uncomfortable. (Yes, this is one, of many, good excuses to try to lose weight, but it is a slow and not particularly guaranteed process so I need ideas in the meantime).

I have switched about 80% of my carry back to a 1911 and narrower guns but that only buys millimeters when I have gained inches.

I could buy oversized pants (I've never done that for IWB in the past and been OK), but I live in MD, I am not a member of one of the privileged groups who actually can get carry permits here, so I only carry inside my home (where I don't usually need to worry too much about concealment) or when in a state where I can carry on my non-resident UT permit. I don't want to wear oversized pants when not carrying because wearing clothes that are too baggy make a big guy look even bigger. I hate to buy a new wardrobe for once or twice a month CCW.

I've thought about going OWB, which is fine in the winter when I'll be wearing a coat and/or sweater, or other times of year when wearing a suit or sportcoat/blazer. However, I like to wear my shirts tucked, so it can be a problem in the summer. I guess I could get used to wearing more untucked shirts if needed and this is the best option (again, I only carry PT due to MD law not allowing it here, so an untucked sport shirt or polo a couple times a month wouldn't mean a total change in my style).

I've thought about pocket carry, but I don't really like it (I used to do that at times). I carry a lot in my pockets and I'd have to lose about half my pocket storage that way. Also, I like larger, more controllable guns (and preferably more capacity, though I make an exception for .45s/1911s). I do have a couple guns that are quite pocketable- a S&W 441 (I hate it), a Taurus 85CH (a little heavy, but workable), a SIG P290RS (a little heavy, but it works in jeans or chinos/khakis), a Ruger LCP (I don't really like .380 much), and a Kel Tec Pf-9 (hate it, not fully reliable, but I haven't sold it yet and it is a good size and weight for pocket carry). It is also slow to deploy.

What do you guys think of some of the off body carry options like Maxpedition that are still kind of connected to you through their straps? Not as bad as a carry planner or the like that you may forget, but still slower to deploy than on body carry. Still, I'm highly considering it for when I am casually dressed, doing OWB when dressed up with a suit/sportcoat/blazer, and doing pocket carry when dressed up without the jacket (then I can switch back to IWB when I lose the weight).

So, what do those of us with a bit of extra weight (and others) who find IWB uncomfortable do?

Last edited by chaim; December 31, 2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old December 30, 2017, 10:08 PM   #2
lunger

Finally a post that I am qualified to respond to

Inside the waist band I do with some baggy carpenter jeans. Usually a Glock 43. Great compromise between size and caliber. The right holster makes all the difference.

Outside the waistband , Usually a Glock 23. Again a good belt and holster is key. With a baggy shirt untucked or jacket as cover.Some time when hiking or fishing it will be a SW model 60-15 in a pancake.

The most comfortable is the LCP in a pocket holster. Can't feel it most of the time. Looking at a Glock 42 (I know I sound like a Glock fan boy, but hey they work for me)for this purpose as well. 380 not my first choice, but if you train enough it will get the job done.If it is comfortable you are going to have it with you.

Fat Guy sounds so cruel. I prefer dimension-ally challenged
Old December 30, 2017, 10:41 PM   #3
TripleGGG

"dimension-ally challenged"

My knew go to phrase.
Old December 31, 2017, 12:50 AM   #4
chaim

I almost changed it to 'big' guys instead of 'fat' guys. I went with fat guys for me and not so much for anyone else, mainly to keep the fire lit under my butt to keep trying to do something about it. I might yet edit it to big guys since fat guys may limit the response
Old December 31, 2017, 01:13 AM   #5
BigJimP

Big guys have feelings too...........I prefer " big boned"...

At 6'5" and with my weight bouncing around between 280 and 300 mostly, svelte left the room a long time ago.. so, I understand ....so OWB is really the only option if you don't want to use the " day planner "...but honestly I find an IWB horsehide leather with a forward FBI tilt is pretty easy to adapt with a good belt and an outer garment that fits ( jackets, vests, windbreakers from DXL work well for me )...I use Kramer leather holsters.

...my every day carry is a full sized 1911, 5" gun in 9mm ...and an extra mag on weak side. Picking the right cut on your clothes & the right material s the key...for me its 2X Tall mostly...but 3X Tall on a jacket or vest works too. I carry at about 4 o'clock...

I'm retired...so I dress casual...levis, sport shirts, golf shirts ....so maybe its easier for me to just wear a vest or jacket...or untuck a sports shirt .....

Small guns don't fit my hands....I have occasionally carried a Sig 239...or a S&W revolver...but I use a Kramer holster specific to those models....
Old December 31, 2017, 06:49 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Well, now I know why he goes by BigJimP!

I like to think I'm in shape, . . . . as long as you consider "round" a shape. I'm 6'0" and about 240# on a good day. Now that it's the holiday season, I'm likely up around 250#. (But I swear that my scale is a lyin' bastard, so I won't go near it.)

I carry IWB with a hybrid about 90% of the time. I've worn loose-fitting clothes for decades, so I already had pants a size large when I first started carrying. No change for me there. If you wanted to stick with IWB, you wouldn't have to buy a whole new wardrobe, but just a couple of pairs of pants and maybe a couple of cover garments. I also find that IWB is simplified by carrying at 3:30-4:00 with a forward cant.

The other 10% of the time, I carry OWB in a Galco Combat Master (much though I hate its name). It's fine for when I am wearing a pair of pants that isn't loose enough for IWB, and I've had it for 4-5 years.

I'm not a fan of off-body carry at all. It's too easy to set your stuff down and walk off without it, or to have it snatched, IMO. I'm not saying that it can't happen with on-body (restrooms come to mind), but it strikes me as easier with a bag of some kind.
Old December 31, 2017, 07:42 AM   #7
chaim

Quote:
OWB is really the only option if you don't want to use the " day planner "...but honestly I find an IWB horsehide leather with a forward FBI tilt is pretty easy to adapt with a good belt and an outer garment that fits ( jackets, vests, windbreakers from DXL work well for me )...I use Kramer leather holsters.
BigJim, I did IWB for years. I never really went with a larger pant size like many suggest and it worked before. Lately, at my current weight, it doesn't anymore. In the past when I was this size and a little bigger I did often wear khakis and dress pants with the expandable waistband, though I'm not a fan it did help. For now, I may go back to that (adjustable waistbands, ick), but I am looking for an alternative. It may need to be OWB (though, again, I am interested in the Maxpedition type bags when dressed more casually).

Quote:
my every day carry is a full sized 1911, 5" gun in 9mm
Quote:
Small guns don't fit my hands....I have occasionally carried a Sig 239...or a S&W revolver...but I use a Kramer holster specific to those models....
I have been all over the place over the years. I've gone full circle to now my primary carry guns are 1911s (a Commander sized 1st gen S&W 1911SC and my all steel RIA 3.5" barrel 1911 is almost through the testing phase with enough rounds to start carrying it). I do like greater capacity, though I shoot a 1911 better than I shoot anything else except maybe the full size CZ 75B and that is a little more important than capacity. I do sometimes still carry my SIG P290 in the right situation (i.e. when I need/want to be able to pocket carry) and I carry my S&W M&P40c when I feel like I want more capacity (10 round flush mag for carry/concealment, with a 15 round reload).

As for holsters, I've tried several hybrids and my favorites are Black Arch Holsters (used to be SHTF Gear) and Theis. There have been some Galco holsters I've liked over the years (Skyops and Summer Comfort). I recently went with a Tucker Gun Leather Texas Heritage for my Officer sized RIA, and while I've only worn it around the apartment so far, it may well be my new go to holster brand and model when I do IWB. I'm not sure what I'll do for OWB as of yet (I have a Black Hills holster for my S&W 625 that I like, but it wasn't cheap and there is a bit of a waiting list). Like IWB, there are almost too many good companies/craftsmen to choose from.

Quote:
I'm retired...so I dress casual...levis, sport shirts, golf shirts ....so maybe its easier for me to just wear a vest or jacket...or untuck a sports shirt .....
There is that...I do not live in a shall issue state and don't belong to one of the few groups that regularly get permits (if you aren't in one of the privileged groups you will not get approved). I only carry when out of state on a UT (and soon NH) non-res permit. Even when/if I move (I'm looking at places in PA and VA again), I'm a teacher so I won't be able to carry at work (few states allow teachers to carry in school). Heck, at work I usually dress business casual (and sometimes dress down to jeans) so I could simply untuck after work and when I'm dressed up more it is usually a sportcoat which could conceal anything I carry after work. So, I'm not usually dressed up when carrying and there is no reason I can't untuck my sport shirt or polo (other than preference, I like being tucked, but while only carrying part-time does it really matter).
Old December 31, 2017, 07:54 AM   #8
Kvon2

If you wear sport coats, jackets or even button down shirts in some casual environments how about a shoulder holster? Really any outfit that you're wearing an undershirt with should work with the right holster.
Old December 31, 2017, 07:54 AM   #9
chaim

Quote:
I like to think I'm in shape, . . . . as long as you consider "round" a shape. I'm 6'0" and about 240# on a good day. Now that it's the holiday season, I'm likely up around 250#. (But I swear that my scale is a lyin' bastard, so I won't go near it.)
I'm 5'11" to 6' (a few tenths of an inch shy of 6'). I had been in the 260-270 range (I had dropped from 305 to 250, then gained back about 15 and leveled off for years). Lately, I've been pushing close to 300 again. I'm definitely a big guy.

Quote:
I carry IWB with a hybrid about 90% of the time. I've worn loose-fitting clothes for decades, so I already had pants a size large when I first started carrying. No change for me there. If you wanted to stick with IWB, you wouldn't have to buy a whole new wardrobe, but just a couple of pairs of pants and maybe a couple of cover garments. I also find that IWB is simplified by carrying at 3:30-4:00 with a forward cant.
As big as I am I don't want to go too loose because it makes one look even bigger. I could see maybe going with one or two pairs of pants that are either a size large or with the adjustable waistband though. Maybe. As for the IWB, 3:30-4:00 with a forward cant is my usual as well.
Quote:
I'm not a fan of off-body carry at all. It's too easy to set your stuff down and walk off without it, or to have it snatched, IMO. I'm not saying that it can't happen with on-body (restrooms come to mind), but it strikes me as easier with a bag of some kind.
I agree. It is why I'm thinking Maxpedition if I go off body (something like the Versipack or other cross body bag when using a bag). It would stay on nearly all the time when carrying it, probably only removing it when driving (and I guess when using a bathroom). Originally I was thinking fanny pack for the same reason, but I don't like fanny packs and found the Maxpedition when looking for alternatives.
Old December 31, 2017, 07:55 AM   #10
chaim

Quote:
If you wear sport coats, jackets or even button down shirts in some casual environments how about a shoulder holster? Really any outfit that you're wearing an undershirt with should work with the right holster.
Button down shirts? Are you suggesting wearing the shoulder holster under the shirt/over the undershirt when not wearing a jacket? If so, I've never thought of that and it sounds like an interesting idea. How comfortable is it worn that way?
Old December 31, 2017, 09:16 AM   #11
Kvon2

Quote:
Button down shirts? Are you suggesting wearing the shoulder holster under the shirt/over the undershirt when not wearing a jacket? If so, I've never thought of that and it sounds like an interesting idea. How comfortable is it worn that way?
yep. So in reality you would probably need to pop a button off to get to your gun so it may not be as fast of a draw as some of your other methods but it's certainly an option.

I think the comfort will vary a bit depending on the gun and holster but its like most CC options a tradeoff. Definitely more comfortable to sit down in a chair than most options, but may take some getting used to having something under your arm.
Old December 31, 2017, 09:23 AM   #12
t45

I'm 6-3 and 250ish. I've gone to wearing my IWB holster on the inside of my gun belt instead of inside my pants. I don't have to wear oversize waist pants and my belt keeps the gun nice and tight against my waist. Its also far more comfortable than the standard IWB carry method. A untucked shirt keeps it out of site.
Old December 31, 2017, 11:22 AM   #13
johnwilliamson062

You can rig one dress shirt button to be magnetic.
If you wear it with one unbuttoned almost no one will notice, especially if you have a tie. You can clip the tie to the top layer right at the button and it will be less noticeable.

If you aren't buying oversized pants to carry in, you aren't buying the correct size pants for when you aren't carrying.

The problem with the extra size isn't looking larger, it is looking "dumpy." On the plus side, some may assume you have recently lost weight and not changed clothing and throw you a compliment.

Another alternative, and you still lose a pocket, is to cut out your strong side pocket and put a drop leg holster on your strong side. Properly adjusted. Maybe just a little bit low to match pocket, but certainly not bottom of your thigh low.
First video I found on adjusting drop leg more or less correctly There are lots of issues with this style and it isn't the fastest to deploy, but you can carry a pretty big pistol comfortably without it being obvious. Pretty much only limited by what you can pull through your pocket. Carrying a cellphone or similar on your belt above that protrudes makes it less obvious. Depends on the cut of your pants and your leg. Nearly impossible to draw with weak side hand. Hangs up easily. I only did this as a solution where I had extremely limited resources: One full size gun, two holster options, and no time. It worked well enough.
Some here are adamant the drop leg holster only exists as a compromise for an extra 20 pounds of body armor. I don't agree, but it is certainly a good solution to problems caused by an extra 20+ pounds of body fat.

The best solution? Find a tailor. Yes, you can buy an oversized pair of pants, wear your gun to the tailor, have them take in the pants where they can and have it not look dumpy. In fact, having them adjusted will probably make you look better and feel more comfortable than ever before. Problem is those adjustments are only good as long as your weight is stable. Obviously, it ain't cheap, but neither is a half dozen holsters that end up in the accessories box gathering dust. My tailor thinks I am crazy, but as long as I keep paying the bill...

I have carried at a very low percentage body fat and a pretty high percentage body fat. In many ways the higher body fat is easier.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; December 31, 2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old December 31, 2017, 11:34 AM   #14
BigJimP

I don't think its a compromise to carry a 1911. Capacity is largely an overrated issue, within reason, as far as I am concerned. I'm perfectly comfortable with a 5" all steel 1911.

Whether I was 240lbs or 290...I have carried a full sized Wilson Combat 1911 for the last 20 yrs or so. To me your solution is still a better belt and a more comfortable holster...and then the right clothes. Once I found Kramer holaters, it just fell into place..with the right belt...( leather for me too...and a little thicker & heavier than most fashion belts) - a western store or a variety of custom holster & belt makers at most gun shows will have what you want).

I changed from a Wilson CQB in .45acp / to a Wilson Protector model in 9mm ...because of arthritis in my hands a few yrs ago. I can train weekly ..and shoot my weekly buddy match with the 9mm with a lot less hand pain ( 8 to 10 boxes a week usually ).

I have a 4" 1911 with an alloy frame in 9mm...but I don't like the reduced weight...so I still shoot & carry my 5" guns. I may order another gun from Wilson ...in a 4 1/4" ...in all stainless, full sized CQB in 9mm...but I want a gun with a bushing not a bull or cone barrel..and ambi safety, a speed chute...so that's as small as I will ever go.

But my point is, I adapt to that gun first. ( I will only occasionally carry a Sig 239 or a S&W K frame in .357 mag...just for the fun of it once in a while). I've been shooting and carrying for over 35 yrs...so I figured some of this out over time. I have other guns...but the only double stacks I have ever owned are Sig 226's ...and I bought them mostly because my grandkids thought they were cool - and while I have holsters for them, I don't carry them...too bulky in my view). I've shot a lot of the poly and alloy frame guns, including the new Wilson EDC's ....but I don't care for any of them.

Good luck in your search & process.
Old December 31, 2017, 08:11 PM   #15
pelican

This might possibly be an option:

Perry Shoulder Harnesses

http://perrysuspenders.com/learnmore.html
Old December 31, 2017, 08:23 PM   #16
weblance

I use a Kangaroo Carry at my left armpit. I have carried a Ruger 345 comfortably for 18 hours. The 345 is 1911 CMD size and weight. I don't carry it anymore, I carry a smaller, lighter 45, but I still recommend the Kangaroo Carry.
Old December 31, 2017, 08:41 PM   #17
AFK

I'm a bigger guy as well. I'm 5'9" and was 300 at my heaviest. IWB was not an option for me no matter how hard I tried. I went with a good gun belt and a Don Hume open top leather holster. I have the same holster for my carry guns. 9mm shield, 9mm xds, 9mm XD Sub Compact, Sig P238. I am now down to 235 and still carry OWB. 13 rounds of 9mm is plenty for me when I carry my XDSC. I always wear these holsters with a t- shirt and that's it. It will print a little if a bend over to pick something up but I don't worry about it. People are oblivious. I also live in PA, which is also an open carry state, so I don't care much about a little bit of printing. If I were to carry a full sized 1911, which is too heavy for me, I would just make sure I had a long enough shirt to cover it. Oh, and I wear my holsters at the 4:00 position
Old December 31, 2017, 09:02 PM   #18
Cheapshooter

LCP right front pocket, DeSantis Nemesis always. And/or a Kahr CM9 4:00 IWB in a Theis Hybrid holster for warmer season, lighter clothes. Colder weather with bulkier clothes that cover better, Springfield XD40 Subcompact, same brand IWB. Other options I have are LCR, or Charter Bulldog. Again in the IWB Theis.
6'3 up and down between 325-350. All have been comfortable, and completely concealed.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 1, 2018, 10:00 AM   #19
SonOfScubaDiver

Have you thought of trying pants with an elastic waistband? Haggar makes them, and they aren't very expensive. I haven't personally tried them yet, but they look like a good option.
Old January 1, 2018, 10:37 AM   #20
ammo.crafter

Chubby

Great topic.

Being slightly over weight the problem I have encountered is my pants falling down when carrying. I find myself pulling up on my belt constantly even though I use and holster and matching belt.

Any advice before they slap the cuffs me?
Old January 1, 2018, 11:07 AM   #21
JC57

OWB pancake holster under a concealment garment.
Old January 1, 2018, 11:56 AM   #22
Fine Figure of a Man

The best solution is to lose weight. You're carry issue will be solved and every thing else you do will be easier and more enjoyable.
I speak from experience and am not trying to offend.
Being overweight is a serious health issue that needs to be dealt with rather than compensated for. Asking, "How can I carry when I'm bleeding heavily" sounds ridiculous but is it really that different?
Old January 1, 2018, 12:25 PM   #23
chaim

The shoulder holster or Kangaroo Carry is sounding interesting. It would mean needing to spend some serious retraining time though since I've always carried strong side at minimum (pocket, OWB and IWB) and mostly IWB at 4:00 (ish). I'm thinking it might even work with a t-shirt or polo. I already often carry with a tuckable IWB holster and have to pull up my shirt to draw, I'd just have to pull it up a little higher with most shoulder holsters.

Quote:
I use a Kangaroo Carry at my left armpit. I have carried a Ruger 345 comfortably for 18 hours. The 345 is 1911 CMD size and weight. I don't carry it anymore, I carry a smaller, lighter 45, but I still recommend the Kangaroo Carry.
I used to have a Ruger 345. I really liked the feel and shooting characteristics. I meant it to be a carry gun. Unfortunately, mine was quite unreliable and once I got it working I sold it (I wanted to get it working properly first for ethical reasons, but I no longer had confidence in it so I sold it). I really did wish it worked out for me. Anyway, I am familiar with the gun and it is very comparable to my S&W 1911SC in size, weight, and carryability.

Quote:
I also live in PA, which is also an open carry state, so I don't care much about a little bit of printing. If I were to carry a full sized 1911, which is too heavy for me, I would just make sure I had a long enough shirt to cover it. Oh, and I wear my holsters at the 4:00 position
Most of my carry is in VA which is also an open carry state, and I am considering a NH non-resident permit so I can carry in PA again (I may be there as much or more than I'm in VA- especially lately since I'm considering moving to the York area or S. York County/Shrewsbury). Depending upon where I get a job next year (I'm a teacher and plan to apply for new jobs for next school year, but as a teacher, it is a seasonal thing so it will be up in the air a few more months before I can make any decisions) I'm hoping to move to either Northern VA or York PA. Anyway, yeah, I've been spoiled to not worry too much if there is a little printing (when carrying in states that are stricter/not open carry, I carry a smaller and/or lighter gun).

I do like carrying a 1911. In the past it has been a S&W 1911SC (Scandium, Commander sized), but I'm switching to all steel for more controlability and longer practice sessions (I now have an all steel Officer sized RIA). I find with the extra weight around my middle, I don't really notice a few extra ounces on the belt.

Quote:
Have you thought of trying pants with an elastic waistband?
Last time I was this weight/size I had a few (I still have one pair) with adjustable waistbands. I'm not a fan, but I may buy a pair or two of khakis for the time being if I decide to continue carrying IWB. It won't help with jeans though since most brands aren't available with the adjustable waist.

Quote:
Being slightly over weight the problem I have encountered is my pants falling down when carrying. I find myself pulling up on my belt constantly even though I use and holster and matching belt.
Haha, I have that problem even when I'm not carrying. Nearly every time I stand up I have to adjust my pants so they don't feel like they want to come falling down (comes with the round shape I suppose).

Quote:
The best solution is to lose weight.
Yeah, and I'm working on it but it is a slow and not so easy solution. I have a bad ankle (since I was 19, it is the reason the Army discharged me early) and bad knee which makes running difficult to impossible. I have a bad back (since I was 21, it is a family thing and pre-dates my weight gain) limiting my running and lifting. I have an arthritic neck which can limit any physical activity when it is acting up. As for calorie restriction, I am diabetic so I'm already careful with my diet. Unfortunately, even if I have already had my calorie intake for the day, if my blood sugar drops (and it can happen no matter how careful I am), I need sugar/carbs NOW, waiting for mealtime is not an option. I can't do a severe calorie restriction diet or my blood sugar will drop to possibly dangerous levels. So, slow and steady is my only option for weight loss.
Old January 1, 2018, 12:44 PM   #24
Geezerbiker

I'm 6'5" tall and I'm not going to say how much I weigh.... However I've always found a belt pack to be a good option for concealed carry. I've carried a M1911 for years and I found it easier to carry than a Colt detective special...

Tony
Old January 1, 2018, 12:46 PM   #25
Fine Figure of a Man

One day at a time, keep at it.
Closed Thread