The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 1, 2021, 09:44 AM   #51
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5whiskey View Post
Even mostly prepared folks might hurt by the end of this one. I don’t see an end in sight right now, and I’ve got maybe another year before I run short of some stock. Other stock I can stretch further. That’s assuming I continue my current shooting habits. Of course not only do I supply my ammo, but ammo for my kids. Thank goodness my son got into .45 as I have a good bit of LPP.

I don’t see all stock returning to normal within a year. Guys who shoot odd ball calibers will be in this conundrum much longer. I highly doubt a lot of 6.5 carcano, 7mm-08, or other less common calibers get any attention from manufacturers right now. And it will be after there is a very good stock of common calibers before we start to see any production shift to the lesser common calibers. Yeah I get it, that’s why we reload. Still, I doubt many .323 or .312 projectiles are being made right now. I see 2+ years before some of this stuff trickles back in.
I use to shoot a lot of .45; then I switched over to 9mm because I can stretch the cost further. A few years ago, I ran into a dealer that was selling small pistol primers at $20 a brick; I bought him out and am glad I did. I have enough stock to last until Joey chokes on a chicken bone.
Old May 1, 2021, 10:35 AM   #52
USSR

I pretty much did the same thing, 101combatvet, stocked up when prices were low. Am hoping that some guys do this when things return to normal (or nearly normal).

Don
Old May 1, 2021, 12:04 PM   #53
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSR
Am hoping that some guys do this when things return to normal (or nearly normal
Most won't. I've preached for years about the importance of buying extra and stockpiling for the inevitable storm and people just won't listen. During the Trump administration, everything gun-related was abundant and cheap, yet so many just shot "hand and mouth" assuming the consumer supply would last forever. Then comes the day when we observe a political shift and the trainwreck and the "forever-lasting" supplies disappear literally in a month, and the internet crying ensues again just like the past gun panics.