The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 19, 2019, 01:48 PM   #1
ligonierbill

BRNO ZKK-602

Probably been discussed, but not lately. I am looking for experience with and/or opinions of this rifle. It is the older version of the CZ 550 (sort of), and what I can find on the internet is pretty much love it or hate it.
Old April 19, 2019, 03:09 PM   #2
agtman

What caliber are you looking at? The ZKK 602s were made in several DG chamberings.

Mine is a .375 H&H that I had some custom work done on back in the late '90s. It's accurate and has been very reliable.

The 602s, by design, were intended to be 'working rifles' for PHs and their client-hunters in Africa who are serious about taking down DG.

That's why the action design of the BRNO 602s, like CZ's successor 550 action, features a true Mauser-style CRF and a large capacity box magazine, typically holding 5 rounds down + 1 in the chamber as opposed to, say, a similarly chambered Winchester Mod. 70, which has a 2+1 or 3+1 capacity.

That said, the BRNOs are also heavier than a Mod. 70 in the same chamberings (375 or .458WM). Plus, nobody ever really liked the shape or contour of their Euro-style 'hogback' wood stocks combined with a hard, cheapy recoil pad. Together they only served to inflict the maximum amount of felt-recoil into your shoulder when sighting-in or doing load development off a bench.

Fortunately, however, stocks can be re-contoured or replaced, as can recoil pads.

If you get the BRNO and later decide you want it modified a bit, custom big-bore riflesmith, Lon Paul, is your go-to guy for BRNOs. Or, there's also Wayne Jacobsen at AHR. Both are great.
Old April 20, 2019, 01:47 PM   #3
ligonierbill

Thanks. Looking at a .458 Win Mag, so weight is a good thing.