The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 21, 2004, 02:22 PM   #1
InToItTRX
Registration in progress

AK Weapons

I do not know much about automatic weapons, however I did find out recently it is legal for me to purchase them here in Arizona. The Scottsdale Gun Club where I am a member sells automatic weapons, they also rent them. I was wondering about the AK-101, would this be a good choice of weapon? Do they even import them to this country? What would I be looking at spending on a AK weapon? And last but not least does anyone have other recommendations on other automatic weapons.
Old December 21, 2004, 02:44 PM   #2
shaggy

To get a full-auto AK, you're looking at something in the $13,000 to $14,000 price range. If you're lucky you might find a deal for a little less, but I've not seen one for sale under $12,500 for months. Be prepared to spend more if you want a full stocked weapon. I got lucky and picked up a full stock Polytech conversion a few months ago for about $12k.

M16's are always good to have and probably the most versatile. You're looking at $9,000 to $10,000 for an aftermarket gun or conversion; add a couple thousand for an original Colt.

Beltfeds are fun, but start at about $10,000 for Maxims and $25k-$30k+ for anything since about WWII (MG34, MG42, M60, M2HB, etc.). Specialties like M60E3's and T161's can run upwards of $40k-$60k. Mag58's for about $75k

Many subguns can be had for under $10k, but anything HK will be over $10k and likely in the $12k - $14k range (a few thousand more for a 21/21E though)

It all really depends on what you want and what you can afford.
Old December 21, 2004, 08:32 PM   #3
gifted

To add on Shaggy, per 1968 and 1986, FA cannot be manufactured or imported for civilian use. What you see is what you got, until laws change, there will be no more. Hence the high prices.
Old December 22, 2004, 12:09 AM   #4
InToItTRX
Registration in progress

I want to thank you both for your input, it has been a great help. My prices were just a bit off!
Old December 22, 2004, 08:20 PM   #5
abelew

Gun store near me who deals in MGs had a m240(G i think) for sale, I know its new production, but there must have been a loophole or something to let it in. Was neat though. They have all sorts of cool stuff in their store, they even have dealer samples of HK ump .45s, g36, m4 with m203, mp5sd. Never asked to handle them, but that was as close as I have ever been to them. Got to handle a swat mp5 one time (COOL, but was a heavy gun, to my suprise). I just wish that the stupid GVT would allow HK ump's to be sold in semi style to civies, as its just a neat gun/or is it HK that wont? Anyhow........
Old December 22, 2004, 08:33 PM   #6
shaggy

A new production 240G would be a post sample - only available to dealers for LE demonstration purposes. There are a handful of older versions - the FN MAG58 - that are available as transferables but they are about $75,000

IIRC there is a aftermarket conversion for the USC stock set that makes it look more like a UMP. Still semi-auto, but it could also be registered as a SBR so the barrel could be cut down to the proper UMP length.
Old December 22, 2004, 09:47 PM   #7
Asmodeous

Valmet M78 posted today on Sturmgewehr for $13,750

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nf...cgi?read=53733

Missed you on Sunday, Shaggy; bought a couple of guns from Howard.
Old December 22, 2004, 09:59 PM   #8
shaggy

Quote:
Missed you on Sunday, Shaggy; bought a couple of guns from Howard.
I thought that might have been you, but wasn't sure.

I really wanted to go to the show, but figured I'd be better off staying in the city and working since this week and next week are going to be cut short for the holidays. Good deal on the Oly though - since they're replacing receivers I've been thinking of getting one. For about $250, you can't beat the "repaired" receivers they're doing.