The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 18, 2005, 10:41 PM   #1
Abby

M1 Carbine extraction issue

This seems like one of those things someone out there probably knows about, so lay your knowledge on me, brothers and sisters!

Bought a new used Plainfield carbine. Guys at the gunshop put a GI trigger assembly in (said it was for an M2 - I'm not down on the fine differences here).

Took the gun to the range today - sweet shooter. Very happy. Problem is - one round in each four or five is not extracting properly. The extractor is GRABBING the round, but it's not being thrown clear.

This is kinda irritating. I'd like to keep the carbine behind the seat in my truck and count on getting my shots off at whatever may need them (be it paper, critter or god forbid - goblin).

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I'm not a gunsmith by any means, but I'm not afraid to tear things apart, install the easy parts, or even, when push comes to shove, break out the Dremel tool.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old March 19, 2005, 12:32 AM   #2
Dfariswheel

There are many reasons why a Carbine won't extract and eject.
Among others:

A dirty, fouled, pitted, ringed, undersized or otherwise defective chamber.

Your particular Carbine doesn't "like" the ammo you're using. This is THE most common fault of stoppages.

A defective extractor or it's spring and plunger. This is the second most common fault.

A defective ejector or spring.

A weak recoil spring.

A binding op rod assembly.

A defective magazine.

Suggestions:
Clean the chamber THROUGHLY, then inspect with a bore mirror for anything wrong.

Change the ammo to a different brand/type.

Change the magazine for a genuine USGI 15 round magazine in like new condition.

Check or just go ahead and replace the extractor and it's spring and plunger with GENUINE USGI parts.
In my experience, this usually fixes the problem.

Check/replace the ejector and it's spring.

Check/replace the recoil spring.

Check the op rod for binding or sticking.

NOTE: if you intend to change out the extractor and ejector assemblies, either have a gunsmith do it, OR buy a GI-type bolt tool.
DO NOT try disassembling the bolt without one or you WILL be sorry.

NOTE #2: The M1 Carbine bolt LOOKS like an M1 rifle bolt, but it does NOT disassemble by just pushing the extractor out. Try that, and you'll break the extractor.
Old March 20, 2005, 12:48 AM   #3
bbrins

This is a good place for parts...
Numrich Gun Parts Corporation

I'll second the advise to use the bolt tool. While you are buying it, go ahead and buy the gas piston wrench so that you don't mess up the threads when you take it apart for cleaning.