The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 26, 2013, 02:57 PM   #1
justplainpossum

Semi and ammo recommendations please

Hello, I am a woman who lives on a ranch in Texas. I have a pretty good feral hog problem. I don't hunt, but I also want to be heeled in case one gets grumpy and decides to charge me. They are everywhere, including my front yard and near my garage. I filmed a boar that people have told me is in the 350 pound range (and he knows it!)

Anyway, for medical limitations I can't use a shotgun or rifle. I was using my home .357 magnum, but when I got up to 158 grain bullets that heavy metal frame was banging the heck out of my hand (I think it's a little too big for my hand.) I've decided to buy a .45 semi-auto handgun.

I'm going to the range to try some out. I would appreciate any recommendations as far as brand and ammo size that would be enough to protect me, and not too intimidating to shoot. Again, the magnum loads in my .357 magnum with 7 inch barrel didn't have really bad recoil for me, it's just that my finger can barely reach the trigger. Thank you!
Old February 26, 2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Inazone

You should definitely try a 1911 to see how the overall feel works for you. There are numerous makes and models available across a huge price range, but the general features are pretty standard. There are compact versions available too, if the standard 1911 is uncomfortable.

I'm not a 1911 fan myself, although I shoot them well enough, and would probably lean toward something like a Beretta PX4 (I have the subcompact version in 9mm) or a Stoeger Cougar for comfort.
Old February 26, 2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Slamfire

If you are willing to carry a rifle, a bud of mine shoots hogs, smaller than your 350 lb hog, with his AR15. A mini 14 in 223 remington would be light, low recoil.

Handguns are a lot harder to shoot accurately. I am going to wait to see if someone who is a hog hunter can give advice about handgun calibers that won't beat you. If you can handle a 357 maybe you can go to the gun store and find older, such as K frame Smiths, or even older 357's. Maybe you can find a smaller frame version that is not too big for you.
Old February 26, 2013, 03:35 PM   #4
justplainpossum

Slamfire, because of medical limitations I cannot use a shotgun or rifle, anything with a stock. But thank you for your reply!

Inazone, why are you not a fan of the 1911? Does it jam a lot? I will learn how to clear a jam, but if a boar or sow is charging me I definitely want something that's really reliable.
Old February 26, 2013, 03:42 PM   #5
CurlyQ.Howard

If I were you, I'd consider a Glock 20 which is 10mm: http://us.glock.com/products/model/g20
Then, check out Underwood ammo: http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto.aspx

You'll have plenty of firepower with this combination, and at this link: http://www.glockstore.com/glock-fact...dguns?limit=36 you'll find a reasonable price (if you cannot find one at your local gun store).
Old February 26, 2013, 04:50 PM   #6
Mikef262

Just a thought, but since you have Expierence with revolvers maybe that's where we should stay? Smith and Wesson produces a revolver in 45 ACP you might want to look into, and surely there are other brands that make 45 ACP revolvers.
Old February 26, 2013, 06:38 PM   #7
justplainpossum

Mike, can you get off more rounds faster with a semi than a revolver? What makes a semi jam? I imagine if one of the feral pigs is close enough to me that I can't hightail it (and it's already happened a few times), I'll want to blast away. So far, if they are at several yards they take off, but more than once they've been within about five feet.
Old February 26, 2013, 06:58 PM   #8
lamarw

I would suggest you make a trip to a good size guns store carrying several gun manufacturers. Get a feel for the various full size pistols in the .45 ACP. I say full size since it will have a larger grip and more weight to assist in absorbing and spreading the recoil. My wife has no trouble shooting my various 45's. You will want to check out your specific issue as to finger/trigger reach. Here are three pistols I would suggest you look at Sig Sauer P220, 1911 models, or the Sig Sauer P250 Full Size. The Sig P250 has two hand grip sizes (medium and small). If the finger reach is still a problem, then try the compact or commander size pistols.

I am not familiar with the 10 mm or its recoil and can not help you there. It would have more knock down power if you are able to shoot it accurately.

Good luck with it and let us know what you decide upon. It might be helpful to others in the future. Feral hogs are becoming a bigger problem across the South.
Old February 26, 2013, 07:01 PM   #9
Mikef262

Well depending on how good you are you can get just as many rounds off out of a revolver as you can a semi auto. I personally cannot, but its been done. As to what makes a semi jam well there could e a number of reasons. The 45 I own is a semi auto 1911. When I first got it and shot it the slide wouldn't lock back. All I had to do was change the magazine I was using and that problem was solved. Guns are sometimes picky about ammo. It really shows in semi autos. Like my friends semi ruger 22.. If he runs the bulk am mk I bring it jams, but if he runs CCI it don't. Now if you're worried about cranking off bullets fast and would like to stay on the revolver platform there are a number of ways to reload faster. There are speed loaders, half moon clips, speed strips, and of course by hand. But getting fast and efficient with speed loaders takes practice. Now if you were really wanting to go in the semi direction I strongly suggest a Sig P220 or another 45 variant in sig. You can carry it cocked, locked, and ready to rock. Meaning (amongst my shooting group anyway) the gun has a bullet in the chamber, hammer back, and can be fired by pulling the trigger. The triggers on sigs can be compared to revolvers. Depending on how you shot yours.
Old February 26, 2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Hansam

Quote:
Again, the magnum loads in my .357 magnum with 7 inch barrel didn't have really bad recoil for me, it's just that my finger can barely reach the trigger.
Those of you who are suggesting a 1911 or a Glock seem to be missing this sentence.

A revolver typically has a smaller grip than an autoloader. Now factor in a .45acp or a double stack 9mm, .40sw or even a .45acp and you've got a grip that's going to be too large for her to shoot properly.

The problem here is that we don't know what kind of revolver she has. Is it a large frame revolver, mid frame etc. The other issue question then is recoil. How averse to recoil is the OP? She had mentioned recoil before but in my mind she never really clarified if she was ok with heavier recoil or not.

Personally I'd refrain from offering a suggestion on the handgun till we knew what she already had and the exact problem when she shoots it. Its entirely possible that she may just need to practice more with it to shoot it well. If that were the case any other handgun she got would be in the same boat.

Add on to that the fact that her intention is to use the handgun to defend herself from charging hogs (something I'd much rather have a centerfire rifle or shotgun for) and now we've got a pickle. She can't use a rifle or shotgun but wants a handgun that will put down hogs that she will find usable and she's made it clear that her .357mag revolver is too large for her hands since she can barely reach the trigger.

Justplainpossum - frankly I think you're looking for the wrong tool for the job. Either that or I'd have to question the validity of the situation. I've never hunted hogs and have only seen them live twice but from what I've seen of them both live and on documentaries along with what I've been told of them from other hog hunters they're not something you really want to tangle with unless you're toting at least a magnum handgun like a .357mag.

The other thing is if YOU are going within five or six feet of a feral hog then YOU are already doing something wrong. You'd have to be a darned fast draw and good shot to get a hog before it gets you from that distance. Your last post makes me question the whole scenario actually... nobody I've spoken with would even DARE get within 10 yards of a feral hog, especially in plain sight. You have, on more than occasion, been within 2 yards of a feral hog and HAVEN'T gotten attacked?

Anyway I could be wrong but something just doesn't smell right here...
Old February 26, 2013, 08:34 PM   #11
ClydeFrog

Guns ammunition choices...

Howdy;
You picked one of worst times in modern US history to buy or obtain firearms, gear, ammunition, etc.
All is not lost, however, you can find decent weapons, gear, training, etc, but it is much more difficult compared to 2/4/5 years ago.

From your post, I'd suggest a .50GI semi-auto from Guncrafter Industries or maybe a Guncrafters after-market add-on to a Glock model 20 10mm pistol. You could train to shoot the big .50GI for any wild pigs or coyotes then convert it to 10mm for defense or CC in the city/town if you choose.
The .50GI is a big fat round that could really ruin a boar's day.
You may also consider a S&W Gov DA(double action) revolver in .45LC/.45acp/.410 shotshell. See www.smithandwesson.com .
A Gov wheelgun could do well for pigs, coyotes, snakes or as a defense sidearm.
New ammunition lines have sprung up to meet the new demands for .410 & .45LC caliber Judge revolvers & the Smith and Wesson Gov line.
I'd only use FACTORY ammunition for defense too. No reloads or hand-loads.
A CLP(clean-lube-protect) can clean-oil the firearm. Check it often but avoid using lots of CLP. A small bottle should serve your needs for a long time.
Good brands include; LPX, Gunzilla, Ballistol(handy around the ranch too), Weaponshield, Slip2000.
Brownells, www.brownells.com is a top source for gun care & cleaning products.
Learn your area's use of force and gun laws. Be aware that animal control or state wildlife may need to be informed if you shoot a wild pig or kill any game.
www.txdps.state.tx.us
There are other websites & sources you can read over. Stay safe and stay legal.

ClydeFrog
www.nra.org www.midwayusa.com www.natchezss.com www.grafs.com www.uscav.com www.sgammo.com www.gunsamerica.com www.gunvideo.com www.paladin-press.com www.galls.com www.safariland.com www.usgalco.com www.donhume.com www.handgunlaw.us www.gunlawguide.com www.mitchrosen.com www.blade-tech.com www.gunzilla.us www.mpro7.com www.weaponshield.com www.deltapress.com www.miltsparks.com
Old February 26, 2013, 08:38 PM   #12
jfrey

Having some experience shooting hogs with a pistol, and after reading JPP's post, I am in a quandry as to what to suggest. A big gun is going to have the problems she already has with finger reach. A smaller gun is going to recoil more. I was going to suggest a Glock G36 but it has some significant recoil if you aren't used to it. If she can find a 1911 with a Commander slide on an Officers frame that would be about right in most catagories. My other suggestion would be a Browning Hi-Power. A lot of women like the Hi-Power due to it's size and weight. My wife loves to shoot her's. A Mark III with +P 9mm rounds would be good but also marginal for shooting big hogs. If she could find a Ruger Bisely in .357 or .45 Colt that might be the ticket. The grip isn't bad and the curved trigger is easier to reach with small hands. You definately want something with a big bore for shooting big boars(no pun intended). Mouse guns just make 'em mad.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:39 PM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

I don't have the answer. I'm just stopping in to say welcome to The Firing Line.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:26 PM   #14
justplainpossum

Hi guys! Thank you for all the responses.

Hansam, when I said the pigs were everywhere on my ranch, I really meant it! I walked out my front door to grab something out of my pickup, and right into a sounder of sows and babies in my front yard, just doing what feral hogs do (destruction!) They don't seem to have much fear around here, even though neighbors have shot and killed two of them, and last month when I went for a walk with my dogs at 10:30 in the morning, the day after a controlled burn, I didn't bring my gun cos I figured they wouldn't be down there, it being so early and smoky, and -- yep, out pops a 150 pound boar. One time I wasn't wearing my glasses and I saw a stray dog, so I got down, clapped my hands and called him. He trotted to within about 10 feet and kept going. Wasn't a dog.

My .357 magnum is a Ruger Security Six with a seven inch barrel. I can shoot it fine with .38 special ammo, but when I went up to .357 magnum loads the metal grip under the trigger kept banging my hand and ripping my skin up. I must be holding it higher than I should since the trigger is a little too far away, and with the heavier loads I really feel it. I tried and tried, but couldn't get a good grip at all. I've written down everyone's suggestions, and hopefully the gun range will have a few of them for me to try out. I'll let ya'll know which I pick! : )
Old February 26, 2013, 09:32 PM   #15
justplainpossum

I thought ya'll might enjoy these. The first one is right behind my house. I was filming the boar and all of a sudden I didn't see him anymore! I scanned back and forth really fast, and then it occurred to me that maybe I should stop filming and find out quick where he was!!

Put the sound on for the music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM-KE...kYvdrQ&index=5

Last edited by justplainpossum; February 26, 2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:33 PM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

justplainpossum, you clearly have some experience with firearms. Nonetheless, I'm going to suggest a visit to The Cornered Cat. It's a firearms website centered around women, with some very good information. It's also written by one of our very own TFL mods, who goes by "pax" on this board.

Sadly, I don't know enough about hogs or hog-killin' to help you beyond that. Good luck. Hopefully, some of our other members can point you in the right direction.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:34 PM   #17
justplainpossum

This one I filmed from the kitchen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FydsN...YvdrQ&index=15
Old February 26, 2013, 09:49 PM   #18
justplainpossum

And I did this one, cos I figure with all these hogs it's best to keep a sense of humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t3Ev...YvdrQ&index=12
Old February 26, 2013, 11:01 PM   #19
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

From the standpoint of hand size, would a S&W Model 66 be a bit smaller than her Ruger?

Thinking about the "wounding" some more, it could be that a tighter grip might help. It could be that the gun is rolling a bit in recoil, and a grip that's not tight enough lets it bang against the finger. (Just guessing.)

Short-term, I'd use double band-aids and try a tighter grip, for now. I'd also do a lot of feel-and-fondle in a store with a large selection of handguns before making any final decision.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:01 PM   #20
Hansam

Justplainpossum: Thank you for clarifying the details of the gun and the issue that is preventing you from shooting the gun properly. As for the hogs - I do apologize for questioning you but you have to understand that to hear someone being in such close proximity and NOT getting gored so far is well hard to believe.

Now about the gun. I don't own a Security Six but I have fired them. I find them to be of average size in the grip and distance to the trigger. The problem you have is that you've become scared of firing the gun when loaded with .357mag loads and nothing at all to do with the gun itself.

If I got the issue correctly when you shoot .38spl you're gripping the gun higher up on the grip and holding it properly when shooting and thus you have no issues reaching the trigger. When you load .357mag you're afraid of the gun's trigger guard striking your knuckles so you hold the gun lower down on the grip and as such increase the distance your finger has to bridge to get to the trigger.

The answer then is to learn how to shoot the gun with the proper grip and NOT be afraid of the gun. That revolver will serve you quite well in the event you needed to protect yourself from a hog - better than a .45acp would (and I LOVE the .45acp so that should say something.)

Here's a link to how to properly grip a revolver as instructed by one of the best revolver shooters alive - Jerry Miculek. I was looking for the video but I couldn't find it so this link will have to do.

Now you just have to practice practice practice. You don't need a new gun just a better grip.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:10 PM   #21
Valerko

The way I see it , you don't need another gun , but couple of hunters.
I I wasn't in a comy state of NY , but somewhere closer , I'd volunteer my services, my ammo and time to help you out.
Judging from video , you might be looking for hunters , instead another gun.
Even if you have to feed them , first once should harvest enough meet for lots more coming.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:23 PM   #22
carguychris

Quote:
I can shoot it fine with .38 special ammo, but when I went up to .357 magnum loads the metal grip under the trigger kept banging my hand and ripping my skin up.
If the gun has factory-style wood grips, I'd suggest a grip adapter such as a Tyler T-Grip. These fill in the opening behind the trigger guard on a double-action revolver and help prevent your middle finger from getting banged up under heavy recoil, but they're generally more friendly to small hands than many types of oversize aftermarket target grips.

http://www.t-grips.com/

Mandatory disclaimer: Tyler Manufacturing, the OK company that makes the T-Grip, underwent management problems last year and stopped shipping products for a while. I am not sure whether they are fulfilling new orders right now, but their website looks like it has been updated recently, which is promising.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:25 PM   #23
justplainpossum

Valerko, trust me, EVERYONE has asked to hunt here! lol The problem is I lease my land for cattle, and my neighbor is concerned about all the mamas and babies that might be accidentally hurt. Though last week I woke up and there were two half naked guys wading around in my tank! I thought, well, that's certainly something you don't see every day. Turned out that they shot a small boar (with a .357) and didn't make a clean shot. They trailed him onto my place, shot him again, he jumped in my tank and sank. So they took off their clothes and shoes to feel for the dead pig with their feet!!

The thing is, my tank has a TON of snapping turtles (and the odd cottonmouth). Ugh, you wouldn't get me in there!! But they found him and hauled him out, and had a barbecue later that day.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:32 PM   #24
justplainpossum

No worries, Hansam, I understand. And the situation IS pretty unbelievable. I woke up one morning and I went, whoa! What the...??? Because I had gone to sleep with a backyard full of grass, and woke up with a backyard full of upside down grass. I don't even bother to try for a lawn anymore...

One of these days I'm going to wake up and there's going to be a feral hog in my kitchen making a cup of coffee...
Old February 26, 2013, 11:57 PM   #25
Doc TH

What about a single action revolver? When cocked, the trigger is quite far back. Also, the SA grip is more "recoil friendly" as it tends to roll up in the hand. .357 in a SA revolver is fairly easy to handle, and shooting 2-handed and cocking with the off-hand thumb can be fast - just look at some cowboy action videos.

Tags
handgun , hogs , semi