The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2009, 09:50 PM   #1
vbk1969

Loading turkey loads??

Anybody do there own loads with heavy shot? Is it worth doing or better to buy factory? where can i find good info on this kinda load for 12 gauge 3 or 3 1/2". Just thinking about getting set up to try some for myself if it worth the cost up front.
thanks, Brent
Old December 15, 2009, 09:58 PM   #2
Christchild

While I don't load SG, I feel that the HevyShot type of shot are rarely necessary, and waaay expensive enough to even less "necessary"...at least as far as the cost of factory loads I've seen...

If You handload SG, click here.

If not, MidwayUSA has them in stock.

I don't see much advantage HevyShot has over a good, fast steel load...
Old December 15, 2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Shoney

vbk1969

Do you already have a press?

If so, what hulls do you have to load?

The hulls are very specific to the load: primer, powder, wad and shot quantity.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 16, 2009, 01:09 AM   #4
rg1

Lyman's 5th Edition shotshell manual has reloading data for hevi-shot, bismuth shot, and steel shot. All their data for hevi-shot uses Ballistic Product specific wads, special fiber wads under the shot, mylar wraps around the shot, and buffer material. Sounds like a lot of trouble loading hevi-shot. Ballistic Products also has data manuals for different shot types and they also sell all the components you'd need. I'd just buy the turkey loads myself.
Old December 16, 2009, 08:50 PM   #5
vbk1969

To answer your question shoney no i do not have the proper press or components. I was wondering if it was worth the hassel to purchase all the things i needed to get started. But sounds like more than i want to get into from just the few post on here already. Im thinking i will just stick with the factory loads for now. Thanks for all the replies.

Brent