The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 17, 2002, 07:22 PM   #26
Ewok_Guy

Quote:
...nothing hurts me more than to walk up to a deer who suddenly tries to scramble to his feet only to have to shoot him again
But thats the only part of the hunt when you get to pull out your Ruger Redhawk...

---------------------
" I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise!
...and sometimes they never get up."
-Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Old February 17, 2002, 10:34 PM   #27
Jamie Young

Thats a topic I almost brought up a few days ago "UnClean Kills". I've seen it with Small game and heard plenty of Deer Hunting Stories. Clean Kills are always better
Old February 18, 2002, 02:50 AM   #28
LONGRIFLE30

If you are culling deer, and there might be folks living close, then use a .30-30,or try a 12 gauge slug. If people aren't a concern, then use whatever you please. It is real simple. If you have to cull deer and worry about people, use 12 GA. 00 buck.

Last edited by Art Eatman; February 18, 2002 at 10:01 AM.
Old February 18, 2002, 08:53 PM   #29
warpig883

For years I hunted with a 22-250 on deer. i have never lost one and almost always dropped them within a few feet of where they were hit. I have plenty of friends who use the .223 it is marginal but if you put the bullet in the heart/lung area it will kill them.

The farthest I ever had to track a deer was after I shot one with a 30-06.

Just remember that people drop deer in their tracks all the time with a bow and arrow. A .223 is fine if used responsibly and with in its limits, just like a bow and arrow.
Old February 18, 2002, 09:32 PM   #30
riddleofsteel

OH the great debate.
It never ceases to amaze me how folks will advocate the .223 as the ultimate battle cartridge for 150 + lb. humans dress in battle gear but will not accept thte same performance on a 75 to 100 lb. deer running naked.
Varmit size cartridges with well designed fast bullets will kill deer like hot lighting with a well placed shoot. With a poorly placed shoot there is no future in anything more powerful or larger caliber.
I, myself, mainly use the 6.5 X 55 or the 25-06 for deer but I have cleanly killed deer with rounds as anemic as the .22 LR (behind the ear) and as powerful as a .60 muzzle loader at 15 yards (chest shot). Both deer dropped on the spot.
This brings to mind the writings of a Christain missionary to the Cree Indians of northern Canada. The folks hunted caribou twice a year when the great herds passed thru their territory. You can be sure a cartridge or a weapon that did not perform would not last long. We are talking survival food here. Their favorite weapon for these 400 to 500 lb animals was the Ruger Mini-14 in .223.

Perhaps the question here is not;

"Is the .223 good enough for eastern deer?"

But;

"Why would I intentionally use a .223 for eastern deer when there are so many better cartridges?"
Old February 23, 2002, 01:00 AM   #31
LONGRIFLE30

Well, riddleofsteel, I prefer the .308 for either deer or human. Although I have known a half-dozen guys who use .223 Mini-14's on whitetail all the time....never more than one shot (they know their business) and I don't argue. I have seen the deer bodys, they damn-near fell dead. I have to admit that though I am from the school that bigger is better. On hogs on up, bigger is better, on deer and such, a better shot is better, no matter the caliber. don't mean to agree or argue....Just what I have seen....
Old February 23, 2002, 07:50 AM   #32
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Been using an '06 since before there was a .308. I started out with it because my father gave me an '06. How easy can it get? "That's what my daddy uses," said the sixteen-year-old.

As I learned more about the whole deal, I came to the conclusion that "overkill" is sort of like insurance. I'm not always going to make that perfect hit that makes a deer DRT. A cartridge which is more than some minimum capability can still anchor an animal, even if it's a bad hit.

Further, a clean kill is important to me because of what I have come to see as a requirement for ethical behavior on my part. That is of no concern if the problem is dealing with a Bad Guy.

Dunno. It all seems simple, now. Of course, it only took a few decades for me to become the all-wise, all-knowing sage that I am.

Art
Old February 23, 2002, 05:48 PM   #33
slick slidestop

Originally Posted by Riddleofsteel:

"OH the great debate.
It never ceases to amaze me how folks will advocate the .223 as the ultimate battle cartridge for 150 + lb. humans dress in battle gear but will not accept thte same performance on a 75 to 100 lb. deer running naked."

Well, probably most people are not worried about a "clean kill" while in Battle as I would not either.

That is a totally different scenario.

When in peacetime and hunting a defenseless animal, I want that animal to die as quickly and painlessly as possible.

If I am in a war fighting for my life, I could care less If I had to gut shoot someone..... at least in the heat of Battle.. I'm sure afterward I would not be overjoyed of someone elses suffering
Old February 24, 2002, 02:20 AM   #34
MLC

"Why would I intentionally use a .223 for eastern deer when there are so many better

Quietest, cheapest ammo, most lightweight rifle fastest follow up shot if we have more than one deer to eliminate. I simply asked a question from a nonhunters position. I've decided on my grandfathers enfield, for the record.
Riddle of Steel do you usually hunt from your high horse as well?
Old February 24, 2002, 02:40 AM   #35
The Terminator

HKLVR,
I think that you have made an excellent decision. I recommend Federal 180 grain Tropy Bonded Bear Claw ammunition. It generates 2680 lbs of energy at the muzzle, and when sighted in at 200 yards is only 2.4 inches high at 100 yards and 4.0 inches low at 250 yards with 1610 lbs of energy retained. An impressive cartridge for up to 250 yards. Good luck.
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old February 24, 2002, 09:26 AM   #36
Byron Adams

A young man at my Church(18) did not like the recoil of his 270. He traded for a NE rifle in 223 and loaded the Hornady 60 grain SP. He shot and killed two deer in the N GA mountains and both went but a few yards. Range was about 65 yards.